MHF - Hockey Thread

Smitty-48

Re: MHF - Hockey Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am

This virtual betting app I have been using has been a good way of watching the form of the other teams. The Penguins have been a good earner for me.
I'm actually toying with the idea of betting against the Leafs for tonight's game.
Well like I say, the Loafs may come out flying after embarrassing themselves again in Buffalo

Otherwise known (by me) as a Shame Game.

Sometimes they can't keep it up for the whole game tho.

You'll get an ashamed period out of them, but then they will go back to Loafing.

Even if they are ashamed, again, Jake Muzzin can't do it all

Their weakness on the back end is simply catching up with them as the intensity ramps up down the stretch.

Veteran teams, like the Penguins, ramp up their compete level as the playoffs near.

Young teams like the Loafs think they can turn it on like a switch when the playoffs start
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am

This virtual betting app I have been using has been a good way of watching the form of the other teams. The Penguins have been a good earner for me.
I'm actually toying with the idea of betting against the Leafs for tonight's game.
Well like I say, the Loafs may come out flying after embarrassing themselves again in Buffalo

Otherwise known (by me) as a Shame Game.

Sometimes they can't keep it up for the whole game tho.

You'll get an ashamed period out of them, but then they will go back to Loafing.

Even if they are ashamed, again, Jake Muzzin can't do it all

Their weakness on the back end is simply catching up with them as the intensity ramps up down the stretch.

Veteran teams, like the Penguins, ramp up their compete level as the playoffs near.

Young teams like the Loafs think they can turn it on like a switch when the playoffs start
The offense hasn't looked great recently either. They seem devoid of ideas and make too many passes and too few shots.
Maybe they will rise to the opposition. Can't be complacent against a better team.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

The offense hasn't looked great recently either. They seem devoid of ideas and make too many passes and too few shots.
Offense flows from defence, you can't score unless you possess the puck

In terms of the trying to pass it into the net all the time, that's softness

They don't want to stand in front of the net where things get rough, they want to score from the outside.

If a team can keep you to the outside, then their goalie can shut you down.

Matthews got rocked last year by Jacob Trouba in front of the net, separated shoulder.

Ever since Matthews has been shy about standing in front and taking a pounding, doesn't want to get hurt again.

Matthews is going for fifty goals, he doesn't want to get knocked out injured when he's on track for that

It's not that Matthews can't rack up goals from the outside, he can

But when the other team tightens up and you desperately need a goal, that's when you have to go inside.

The only one who consistently goes inside, takes the rock to the house, is Hyman

The rest of them float around the outside playing fancy, looking for easy goals from a distance

This is also why the Loafs draw the least power plays in the league

When you are soft and float around the outside, nobody has to haul you down, so they don't take penalties

On the back end, the Loafs softness exhibits in just letting the other team get inside without paying a price

Everybody crashes the Loafs crease, the Loafs don't crash anybodies crease, this is why they fail

Again, Hyman and Muzzin are the only hard men on the Loafs, who can also keep up with the pace.

Just having two of those guys is not enough to be a legit contender, in the playoffs things get much rougher

This is why Egor Korshkov is an important prospect, because he's big, he's mean, but he can also score.

Alex Kerfoot is degrading, his game is fading fast this season

Keefe should try Korshkov with Nylander and Tavares, to add some power to that line

Korshkov is Russian, but his father was one of the biggest meanest players in Russia.

So he's got Russian skill, but he plays like a Canadian, and he's 6'4" 210 lbs

He's probably going to get bigger too, because his father played at 6'5" 247 lbs

Alexei

Egor

Keefe playing Nylander - Matthews - Marner smacked of desperation, but it's also dumb

There's no such thing as a scoring trio, there are only scoring pairs

The third guy on the line needs to be a heavy player for puck retrieval/net front presence.

This is where Korshkov is needed

Hyman does that job for the scoring pair of Matthews & Marner

Wee Kerfoot is dead weight to the scoring pair of Tavares & Nylander

Tavares & Nylander already have more than enough skill, Kerfoot doesn't add anything, there are no trios.

You have a set up man, you have a trigger man, a third set up / trigger man is superfluous

Scoring pair + a grinder to do the dirty work in the trenches

Gretzky - Kurri - Tikkanen (The Finnish Superpest)

Lemieux - Jagr - Brown (49 goals, 115 points, 118 penalty minutes, in 68 games, playing with Mario)

Howe - Abel - Lindsay (Terrible Ted, nuff said)
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Offense flows from defence, you can't score unless you possess the puck

In terms of the trying to pass it into the net all the time, that's softness

They don't want to stand in front of the net where things get rough, they want to score from the outside.

If a team can keep you to the outside, then their goalie can shut you down.

Matthews got rocked last year by Jacob Trouba in front of the net, separated shoulder.

Ever since Matthews has been shy about standing in front and taking a pounding, doesn't want to get hurt again.

Matthews is going for fifty goals, he doesn't want to get knocked out injured when he's on track for that

It's not that Matthews can't rack up goals from the outside, he can

But when the other team tightens up and you desperately need a goal, that's when you have to go inside.

The only one who consistently goes inside, takes the rock to the house, is Hyman

The rest of them float around the outside playing fancy, looking for easy goals from a distance

This is also why the Loafs draw the least power plays in the league

When you are soft and float around the outside, nobody has to haul you down, so they don't take penalties

On the back end, the Loafs softness exhibits in just letting the other team get inside without paying a price

Everybody crashes the Loafs crease, the Loafs don't crash anybodies crease, this is why they fail

Again, Hyman and Muzzin are the only hard men on the Loafs, who can also keep up with the pace.

Just having two of those guys is not enough to be a legit contender, in the playoffs things get much rougher

This is why Egor Korshkov is an important prospect, because he's big, he's mean, but he can also score.

Alex Kerfoot is degrading, his game is fading fast this season

Keefe should try Korshkov with Nylander and Tavares, to add some power to that line

Korshkov is Russian, but his father was one of the biggest meanest players in Russia.

So he's got Russian skill, but he plays like a Canadian, and he's 6'4" 210 lbs

He's probably going to get bigger too, because his father played at 6'5" 247 lbs

Alexei

Egor

Keefe playing Nylander - Matthews - Marner smacked of desperation, but it's also dumb

There's no such thing as a scoring trio, there are only scoring pairs

The third guy on the line needs to be a heavy player for puck retrieval/net front presence.

This is where Korshkov is needed

Hyman does that job for the scoring pair of Matthews & Marner

Wee Kerfoot is dead weight to the scoring pair of Tavares & Nylander

Tavares & Nylander already have more than enough skill, Kerfoot doesn't add anything, there are no trios.

You have a set up man, you have a trigger man, a third set up / trigger man is superfluous

Scoring pair + a grinder to do the dirty work in the trenches

Gretzky - Kurri - Tikkanen (The Finnish Superpest)

Lemieux - Jagr - Brown (49 goals, 115 points, 118 penalty minutes, in 68 games, playing with Mario)

Howe - Abel - Lindsay (Terrible Ted, nuff said)
Why don't you buck up and start posting on the political forum. Hockey is temporary. Politics are forever. The Coronavirus is the biggest threat to the Republic since Bird Flu, and if you don't step in now you are going to regret it for the rest of your life. My dad was a 9/11 first responder, but I am a Martin Hash Forum first responder. Don't shirk your responsibility. Not now Smitty. Not when we need all hands on deck.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:47 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Why don't you buck up and start posting on the political forum. Hockey is temporary. Politics are forever. The Coronavirus is the biggest threat to the Republic since Bird Flu, and if you don't step in now you are going to regret it for the rest of your life. My dad was a 9/11 first responder, but I am a Martin Hash Forum first responder. Don't shirk your responsibility. Not now Smitty. Not when we need all hands on deck.
I don't know how you dare show your face around here Daralon. Thanks to you, Speaker has left in an epic flounce and there's no one left to tell us that we are all fucked.
700 million deaths are on you pal.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Why don't you buck up and start posting on the political forum.
I'm posting on the Canadian political forum, the Indians in Canada are staging a revolt against Trudeau

They've blockaded the main line of communications between Windsor and Quebec City

So now Canada is slowly grinding to a halt, as the rail companies have stopped running the trains
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Getting back to hockey, the game meal for tonight is Breakfast for Dinner

Homemade Egg McMuffins with hash browns
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Not that this is the time or place, but I am actually a quarter Su'wet'wet'wishy'washy'wogwamp. If I am trying to get some kind of scholarship money, where could I go about doing that? Toronto city council? Or would I have to talk to the tribal leaders? Documentation might be a problem, but as a child my parents forced me to go to church which I hated, not unlike what happened to the indigenous folks in your nation.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:47 pm
heydaralon wrote:

I don't know how you dare show your face around here Daralon. Thanks to you, Speaker has left in an epic flounce and there's no one left to tell us that we are all fucked.
700 million deaths are on you pal.
He died dude. He didn't take care of himself or go to the gym. The virus killed him because he was so out of shape. They are having a service for him tomorrow. His folks couldn't find a will, but fortunately I have found one in my posession. The virus took away all his motor functions so the signature does not look like his normal ones. Its legit, and at this time its important to come together and not accuse eachother of forging documents. I wouldn't even know how to do that if I wanted to.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm

The Loafs are trying to play a Shame Game, but really they are just playing nervous

They are in their own heads, squeezing the sticks, skating on egg shells

Soon as the Pens pounce on them the Loafs start running around in a panic
Nec Aspera Terrent