Re: MHF - Hockey Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:02 pm
I'm still getting my head around the rules. One thing that I've been wondering about is when the goalie catches the puck in hand most of the time it goes to a face-off but I'm sure I've seen the keeper catch and then make a quick pass with no break in play.
The goalie has a window where he can play the puck before the ref blows the whistle

Much of the game relies on the intuition of the referees.

They give the goalie a moment to make a play, if he doesn't, they blow the play dead for a face off.
I've only seen it a couple of times in previous games but I wondered if it was something like that.
Am I right in thinking that players can catch a high puck and drop it on the ice to themselves but not pass it to another player?
That's right, but you can only catch it and put it straight down to your stick right away, no delay

If you hold on to it for another stride, that's a penalty.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm

The goalie has a window where he can play the puck before the ref blows the whistle

Much of the game relies on the intuition of the referees.

They give the goalie a moment to make a play, if he doesn't, they blow the play dead for a face off.
I've only seen it a couple of times in previous games but I wondered if it was something like that.
Am I right in thinking that players can catch a high puck and drop it on the ice to themselves but not pass it to another player?
That's right, but you can only catch it and put it straight down to your stick right away, no delay

So no throwing it forward and chasing it either? Got to be straight down?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 pm

In field hockey you can't control the ball with any part of your body, only the stick (unless you're the keeper) so I was surprised to see them catching the puck and using their feet to control it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

You could bat it out of the air and then chase it down, without catching it

If you catch it, as in close your hand on the puck, then you have to drop it straight down to your stick
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

If you catch it, as in close your hand on the puck, then you have to drop it straight down to your stick
OK, sorry if these are dumb questions but you don't learn if you don't ask.
I'd be happy to answer questions about rugby or cricket should you ever need it.
There really is very little tradition of ice hockey over here so it's all new to me.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

OK, sorry if these are dumb questions but you don't learn if you don't ask.
I'd be happy to answer questions about rugby or cricket should you ever need it.
There really is very little tradition of ice hockey over here so it's all new to me.
It's pretty much a Canadian's duty to answer any and all questions about ice hockey, HM provides.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Ditto for cricket here. It has to be one of the most complicated games ever invented though. Don't ask me to explain reverse swing, googlies or the Duckworth Lewis method though as they are a mystery to me too.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Nylander is having another average game. He's had a poor run of it recently.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 pm
Ditto for cricket here. It has to be one of the most complicated games ever invented though. Don't ask me to explain reverse swing, googlies or the Duckworth Lewis method though as they are a mystery to me too.
The rules are rather fluid in hockey, every year they tweak them a bit more.

The NHL is radically different from what it was twenty years ago.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm
Nylander is having another average game. He's had a poor run of it recently.
If by recently you mean the last two games.

Prior to that he had 8 goals and 16 points in 8 games, which is Wayne Gretzky in his prime pace.
Nec Aspera Terrent