Game of Thrones - mostly

DrYouth

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am
Are you this good at script writing or its just a hobby of yours?

I think it would be fun for something some message board or blog didn't come up with or cynically post about.
My guess is that Capps is an armchair scriptwriter... but from his bluster you might think he had written many award winning scripts by this point...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 am
GloryofGreece wrote:

I think it would be fun for something some message board or blog didn't come up with or cynically post about.
My guess is that Capps is an armchair scriptwriter... but from his bluster you might think he had written many award winning scripts by this point...
I watch a lot of good television, I know what makes good television and what doesn't. I know what are Game of Thrones strengths are, and it what it's weaknesses are. If the show is going to end strong it's going to embrace it strengths, if it's going to end poorly it's going to embrace it's weaknesses and rob us of a good backstabbing because they are afraid of the backlash of killing a character everyone loves all of a sudden.

My suggestion doesn't even have to be the ending, but if it isn't a part of the last four episodes, they are going to fuck this landing up. If the show wants to be a comedy instead of a tragedy, the ending is going to blow people, brace yourselves. Killing off a bunch of side characters who everyone thinks are going to die, isn't surprising, killing off a fan favorite with some really solid setup, is much more surprising, even if I predicted it beforehand.

If Game of Thrones doesn't give one of it's leads the Ned Stark/Rob Stark treatment in the last four episodes, that is just lazy writing that will make Jon and Dany lesser characters than they could have been if they hadn't pussed out. If you think living happily ever after could be a better ending, fans like you are why the show has gone downhill in the previous three seasons.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm
DrYouth wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:

I watch a lot of good television, I know what makes good television and what doesn't. I know what are Game of Thrones strengths are, and it what it's weaknesses are. If the show is going to end strong it's going to embrace it strengths, if it's going to end poorly it's going to embrace it's weaknesses and rob us of a good backstabbing because they are afraid of the backlash of killing a character everyone loves all of a sudden.

My suggestion doesn't even have to be the ending, but if it isn't a part of the last four episodes, they are going to fuck this landing up. If the show wants to be a comedy instead of a tragedy, the ending is going to blow people, brace yourselves. Killing off a bunch of side characters who everyone thinks are going to die, isn't surprising, killing off a fan favorite with some really solid setup, is much more surprising, even if I predicted it beforehand.

If Game of Thrones doesn't give one of it's leads the Ned Stark/Rob Stark treatment in the last four episodes, that is just lazy writing that will make Jon and Dany lesser characters than they could have been if they hadn't pussed out. If you think living happily ever after could be a better ending, fans like you are why the show has gone downhill in the previous three seasons.
The show has gone downhill because the son of a Goldman Sachs executive took over the writing from a genius.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm
StCapps wrote:
DrYouth wrote:

The show has gone downhill because the son of a Goldman Sachs executive took over the writing from a genius.
I don't consider George R.R. Martin a genius, a lot of the shows problems are because of his writing as well.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:17 pm

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
StCapps wrote:

I don't consider George R.R. Martin a genius, a lot of the shows problems are because of his writing as well.
They split off from his material before the Red Wedding, dude. The entire story has been theirs since then. It's not even remotely similar by now.

And yeah, the guy created a new thing that swept the entire world. He changed fantasy genre storytelling. He's a genius.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:17 pm
StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

They split off from his material before the Red Wedding, dude. The entire story has been theirs since then. It's not even remotely similar by now.

And yeah, the guy created a new thing that swept the entire world. He changed fantasy genre storytelling. He's a genius.
That's just because the fantasy genre sucks, don't have to be Usain Bolt when like the only competition is Lord of the Rings, and a whole lot of nothing.

They split off from the books after season 4, and are still following the basic outline of the future books Martin hasn't finished yet, a lot of the shows problems come from Benioff and Weiss being too faithful to the books, and not being faithful enough, they can't strike the right balance, that's the problem. The early books were good, the latest books started going downhill, and as they did, so did the show.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 am

What did JRRM invent? Melding fantasy and soap? Taking inspiration from actual history and European geography? Writing a series of really thick books?

None of it is new. It's what the fantasy genre has been like since the '80s.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 am

I agree that GoT was better when they followed the books. Now it's like listening to some aspie 12yo retelling their latest D&D adventure.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 am

Martin ran out of good material in his books, and right around the time the show ran out of good material was when they got to those parts of his books.

I don't trust that "coincidence".

Benioff and Weiss deserve blame for fucking up after they moved passed the books, no doubt, but to act like none of it is George R.R. Martin's fault, including after they moved past the already released books, is just not paying attention. Martin has had a lot of say on the show even after they moved passed the released books, look into it if you don't believe me.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 am

StCapps wrote:

Could you say this 106 more times? I think people probably didn't catch your point the first 398 times you explained it.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?