Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:15 pm
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:09 pm
Ooh yes. Dani goes Mad King and Jon puts her down... that has potential.

But. Watching the post-show things with Benioff and Weiss, those guys are kind of retarded. I doubt they could imagine such a thing. Plus the backlash from feminists would be truly epic. Something on the scale of mass hysteria.
Yeah I have no faith that they are good enough at their jobs to realize this, after they brought Jon back to life in the most predictable fake cliffhanger ever. This show is at it's best when it subverts happy endings for real cool backstabbing and doesn't take back the consequences of it with lame magic. If they forget that, the ending is going to suck. You can have a happy ending or two, but everyone else needs to get fucked real bad.
The show was doing that when it took its story from RR Martin. We’re 4 seasons into B&W winging it now and you can see the difference clearly.

Dani and Jon get married in the show. But not the books.
I am with you, Benioff and Weiss are simultaneously too faithful to the books, and simultaneously not faithful enough, in all the wrong places, and that became most apparent once they ran out of material from the books.

I have no faith in their ability to strike a proper balance. The show should just kill off Dany or Jon by one backstabbing the other, and Martin should just have it go down the other way in the novels, if he ever finishes them, so they don't spoil his ending. Gotta give one of them the Ned Stark/Rob Stark/Joffrey Lannister treatment or that's lame as fuck. They could do it at Jon and Dany's wedding, but that's too obvious considering Rob Stark and Joffrey deaths, so come up with something better.

If they let make Dany and Jon co-rule, her in the south, him in the North, they both live happily ever after and they both get to win, that is the lamest, most obvious, most boring ending.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm
Yeah I have no faith that they are good enough at their jobs to realize this, after they brought Jon back to life in the most predictable fake cliffhanger ever. This show is at it's best when it subverts happy endings for real cool backstabbing and doesn't take back the consequences of it with lame magic. If they forget that, the ending is going to suck. You can have a happy ending or two, but everyone else needs to get fucked real bad.
The show was doing that when it took its story from RR Martin. We’re 4 seasons into B&W winging it now and you can see the difference clearly.

I am with you, Benioff and Weiss are simultaneously too faithful to the books, and simultaneously not faithful enough, in all the wrong places, and that became most apparent once they ran out of material from the books.

I have no faith in their ability to strike a proper balance. The show should just kill off Dany or Jon by one backstabbing the other, and Martin should just have it go down the other way in the novels, if he ever finishes them, so they don't spoil his ending. Gotta give one of them the Ned Stark/Rob Stark/Joffrey Lannister treatment or that's lame as fuck. They could do it at Jon and Dany's wedding, but that's too obvious considering Rob Stark, so come up with something better.
She just needs to go mad with power, and threaten Winterfell. Hell, they even built the premise, with Sansa demanding an answer to their fate, and Dani recoiling.

Come to think of it... maybe they will do it. This will be a backlash on unprecedented scale... :think:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm
StCapps wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I have no faith in their ability to strike a proper balance. The show should just kill off Dany or Jon by one backstabbing the other, and Martin should just have it go down the other way in the novels, if he ever finishes them, so they don't spoil his ending. Gotta give one of them the Ned Stark/Rob Stark/Joffrey Lannister treatment or that's lame as fuck. They could do it at Jon and Dany's wedding, but that's too obvious considering Rob Stark, so come up with something better.
She just needs to go mad with power, and threaten Winterfell. Hell, they even built the premise, with Sansa demanding an answer to their fate, and Dani recoiling.

Come to think of it... maybe they will do it. This will be a backlash on unprecedented scale... :think:
If just one writer had the idea in the room, I don't feel like Benioff and Weiss would be dumb enough to shoot down the idea, but I'm not sure whether anyone in that room is actually good enough at their job to think of it. If Martin thought of the idea, and let them have the shittier of the two ideas to his tastes, and he gets the better ending in his opinion, everyone wins, and he makes a shit ton more money.

If he's like I'll take Dany, you guys take Jon, or I'll take Jon, you guys take Dany, I also don't see how they would pass on that ending.

The question is are Benioff and Weiss or the tv show writers smart enough to think of it, or is Martin smart enough to think of it, or all they all incompetent? I'm leaning towards all incompetent.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 pm

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
StCapps wrote:

If just one writer had the idea in the room, I don't feel like Benioff and Weiss would be dumb enough to shoot down the idea, but I'm not sure whether anyone in that room is actually good enough at their job to think of it. If Martin thought of the idea, and let them have the shittier of the two ideas to his tastes, and he gets the better ending in his opinion, everyone wins, and he makes a shit ton more money.

If he's like I'll take Dany, you guys take Jon, or I'll take Jon, you guys take Dany, I also don't see how they would pass on that ending.
In that scenario, Dani takes the tv throne without question. Regardless of whether it makes sense. :(
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 pm
StCapps wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

In that scenario, Dani takes the tv throne without question. Regardless of whether it makes sense. :(
Either taking the throne would make sense, if they backstab the other, in epic fashion, like Ned Stark and Rob Stark were backstabbed. Otherwise, fuck either of them taking the throne, go Darkhorse X, but even then, they probably fucked up the ending.

Just have Jon kill Dany or Dany kill Jon, there is a ton of ways to make it work either way. Both of them living happily ever after, after the end credits of the final episode, that would be utterly rage inducing on my end, even if the idiot fans would love it. When the show was willing to kill it's main character, and other very important fan favorites, the show was better for it, if they forget that with their ending, that's just wasted potential.

This show needs to end like a tragedy, not a comedy. A happy ending or two is good for balance, but mad tragic shit better fucking happen and to important fan favorites, including the male lead or the female lead. Both leads surviving would be a dramatic tragedy, and not the good kind of tragic drama, the bad writing fucks up the ending kind.
*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 am

Tormund had me lol multiple times last night
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:25 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 pm
StCapps wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I'm thinking Dani takes the throne without question regardless. I started thinking this last week, and really confirmed it this week with mini-Mormont and the knighting of Brienne but it seems like HBO and B&W are going full feminist. Jon is the only male ruler left. You have Dani, Cersei, Sansa, and Yara all in power now, and of course we're going to see Arya do something awesome.

Jon dies, the queens fight
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:44 am

I think both Dany & Jon are going down. Arya's going to get close enough to kill the Night King by using the "face" of a wight she kills. Dany ending up on the throne would be the most obvious & lazy option possible.

Jamie is going to take down Cersei. Oh, he mad.
California wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 am
Tormund had me lol multiple times last night
Totally agree. He's awesome.

Last night's episode was good. I enjoyed it.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:23 am

I've always like Jamie anyway.

Well, at least after S1

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Danyers needs her head on a pike. It's the only proper way for the show to end.

Bonus points if Snow gets killed by a wild boar.