Game of Thrones - mostly

heydaralon

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Finally watched S8E1.

Setting the scene. Pretty predictable stuff. Nothing that made you go wow. Just making sure everyone is on the same page moving forwards.

They sure aren't overestimating their audience.
I was thinking for the finale they should just not even show the characters and display twitter hashtags like #metoo or #teamArya #Girlpower #Cortez. I think that would be about on par with the mental capacity of die hard fans of the show.
Shikata ga nai

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Finally watched S8E1.

Setting the scene. Pretty predictable stuff. Nothing that made you go wow. Just making sure everyone is on the same page moving forwards.

They sure aren't overestimating their audience.
Mainly it was Samwell revealing the truth of his birth to Jon Snow...
And encouraging him to turn the tables on her.
"You bent the knee to save the North... would she do the same?"
I think we all know the answer to that question...

That and Euron is banging Circe... which was interesting.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

I wish they would spend more time reuniting characters and doing things that will please the fans like showing jon riding a CGI dragon. We had too much good writing this episode and it causes the whole show to suffer. I hope we see an overly long CGI zombie battle because the show isn't stupid enough.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm
I hope we see an overly long CGI zombie battle because the show isn't stupid enough.
From what we hear you'll get your wish.

As for Cersei, damn, she IS a woman of appetites. When Jamie was prisoner she was shtupping her little cousin, now insufferable Euron. Seems like her main gripe with Robert was she made him limp. Hard to imagine that with teenage Lena Headey, but hey, every man has his weakness.
Last edited by brewster on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

brewster wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm
I hope we see an overly long CGI zombie battle because the show isn't stupid enough.
From what we hear you'll get your wish.

As for Cersei, damn, she IS a woman of appetites. When Jamie was prisoner she was shtupping her little cousin, now insufferable Euron. Seems like her main gripe with Robert was she made him limp.
That Euron guy was created at the last minute in a HBO board room meeting. He's this big deal now, and he was forced into the show. And now theon rescued his bull dike sister, why are we in suspense? Why did this guy need to be introduced? Its not like there was a shortage of villains. Bad writing. Stick with Cersei. She's one of 3 characters I like at this point. I would like to see an episode where she burns Winterfell to the ground with Arya, Sansa, Bran, Jon Snow, Theon, his sister, fire worshipper fag, Tormund, Tyrion, and others die in the fire. They serve no purpose now. Cersei is the only one who is cool at this point.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:55 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm
Cersei is the only one who is cool at this point.
Untrue. Bron is ALWAYS cool. Like Fonzie.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Bron jumped the dragon. To much of the same with him.

Good that Jorah the explora is back in force. I never grew tired of him. I hope the undead kill every last one of that stupid slave army. Worst prop ever.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:08 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

That Euron guy was created at the last minute in a HBO board room meeting. He's this big deal now, and he was forced into the show.
Yes, and no. Spoiler alert for book readers: Book-Euron is essentially Ramsey Bolton with brains and alot higher aspirations of power. Much like they should have cut the Sunspear bastards plot out of the show because they cut the whole "secret Targaryan pretender" plot from the books which Varys, Illyrio and - briefly - Tyrion becomes part of. So they'd have to retcon both Varys, cut Euron's brother Victarion out of the story and make an amalgamation of "generic bloodthirsty pirate" + character features the more "bloodthirsty raider"-like other brother, and have the actor do some over the top "I'm evil and insane" acting.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:17 pm

BjornP wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Yes, and no. Spoiler alert for book readers: Book-Euron is essentially Ramsey Bolton with brains and alot higher aspirations of power.
Hey, now. That's uncalled for. Ramsey may have been a sadistic motherfucker with daddy issues, but he had brains, balls, and nice taste in women (the kennelmaster's daughter was hot). He planned and executed the raids on Winterfell and on Stannis' camp, and when sis tried to rescue Reek, he was in the thick of the fighting barechested. Aspiring to be Warden of the North seems pretty ambitious to me, you hold it against him he didn't want the Iron Throne? He was obviously smart enough to realize how un-fun that would be.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm

brewster wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:17 pm
BjornP wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Yes, and no. Spoiler alert for book readers: Book-Euron is essentially Ramsey Bolton with brains and alot higher aspirations of power.
Hey, now. That's uncalled for. Ramsey may have been a sadistic motherfucker with daddy issues, but he had brains, balls, and nice taste in women (the kennelmaster's daughter was hot). He planned and executed the raids on Winterfell and on Stannis' camp, and when sis tried to rescue Reek, he was in the thick of the fighting barechested. Aspiring to be Warden of the North seems pretty ambitious to me, you hold it against him he didn't want the Iron Throne? He was obviously smart enough to realize how un-fun that would be.
I'd say Ramsey's more cunning than intelligent. As for ambition, well... book-Euron aspires to become a god and, if you've read the sample chapters, has already undergone (what he believes) are the steps neccesary: Sacrificing priests...lots and lots of priests. As a kid he also recieved the same visions Bran got from the Three Eyed Raven, but was rejected by the TER for whatever reason.

But I can see with the price of show probably rising, stars getting older and needing to wrap things up, there would only be room for one or two major plotlines.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.