Game of Thrones - mostly

StCapps

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Some opinions are better than others. I ain't butthurt, I find it hilarious that you can't enjoy the greatest shows ever made.

Breaking Bad doesn't glorify meth dealing, just the opposite, you don't get that show even the slightest bit, but after one episode that isn't surprising. Like I said, even if you aren't into the subject matter, those shows overcome that, but you never gave them a chance, so you'd never know.

If you don't like mafia movies, the Sopranos overcomes that. If you don't like cop and drug dealer shows, The Wire overcomes that. If you don't like Meth dealing, Breaking Bad overcomes that.
*yip*

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm
brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

How did you know it was forged not knapped like every obsidian dagger ever known on Earth? I do not recall any mention of this, and as you have observed, this is in my wheelhouse. I have actually taken stone knapping lessons, was one of the coolest things I ever did with my son when he was little.
What do you think you are watching? You know what else is fake? Every other plot point in the entire series. :-)

Dragons the size of 747s? Fake
Women who give birth to magical murderous smoke babies? Fake
People who can survive being in a raging fire and come out without even a scar? Fake
Green wildfire? Fake
Being able to pull off a perfectly timed execution/explosion of almost all of your enemies in one shot? Unlikely.
Knights wearing armor 24/7? Fake
The drowned god? Prolly fake
An assassin who trained with the many faced gods? Fake

The list of fake things in GoT is endless. Why are you focusing on a teeny tiny thing, compared to all the other fake things that you suspend reality for in order to enjoy the show? Magic is magical and can wipe out any real-world impossible things.
The essence of getting people to suspend disbelief is to limit the amount of bullshit. We judge things in contexts we know. Why couldn't Gandalf fly? Because he had limits. From the beginning of GoT what made it work was an extremely small amount of magical bullshit, so when we did see smoke babies we knew some badass shit was going on. All the rest of a medieval world works as we expect. One reason why I hate Marvel nonsense is the universal bullshit like no basic physics. I can believe in a guy who can throw a car, but not in one who can pick it up by the bumper and not fall over.

The armor on all the time really bugs me. That's fucking silly.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm
Kath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm
brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

How did you know it was forged not knapped like every obsidian dagger ever known on Earth? I do not recall any mention of this, and as you have observed, this is in my wheelhouse. I have actually taken stone knapping lessons, was one of the coolest things I ever did with my son when he was little.
What do you think you are watching? You know what else is fake? Every other plot point in the entire series. :-)

Dragons the size of 747s? Fake
Women who give birth to magical murderous smoke babies? Fake
People who can survive being in a raging fire and come out without even a scar? Fake
Green wildfire? Fake
Being able to pull off a perfectly timed execution/explosion of almost all of your enemies in one shot? Unlikely.
Knights wearing armor 24/7? Fake
The drowned god? Prolly fake
An assassin who trained with the many faced gods? Fake

The list of fake things in GoT is endless. Why are you focusing on a teeny tiny thing, compared to all the other fake things that you suspend reality for in order to enjoy the show? Magic is magical and can wipe out any real-world impossible things.
The essence of getting people to suspend disbelief is to limit the amount of bullshit. We judge things in contexts we know. Why couldn't Gandalf fly? Because he had limits. From the beginning of GoT what made it work was an extremely small amount of magical bullshit, so when we did see smoke babies we knew some badass shit was going on. All the rest of a medieval world works as we expect. One reason why I hate Marvel nonsense is the universal bullshit like no basic physics. I can believe in a guy who can throw a car, but not in one who can pick it up by the bumper and not fall over.

The show keeps going in the more magic direction, not the less magic direction, you just wish it was the other way around. Wishful thinking is a helluva drug.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Gendry handed the hound a battle axe about 20 mins in. That thing was clearly knapped. :p
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm

You believe unbelievable things in every single episode of the series. Maybe you just don't realize it?

How many "just in time," situations did Arya, Sansa, Jon, Tyrion, etc., get into? Nobody is that lucky that frequently and extremely few somebodies get that lucky that often. A whole lot of lucky just happened to occur for many somebodies that we happen to care about, and a whole lot of them were in the same family.

How did Tyrion get through nearly drowning in Valeria without drowning and getting the disease?

How did a non-Maester create a Zombie out of a dead mountain?

How did same non-Maester figure out the exact formula of a specific poison without knowing the taste, contents, symptoms, etc. of the poison? How did he manage to find the antidote?

How did Gendry, a guy who had never even been cold before, get record breaking running times through bitter cold, ice & snow; only to get to a Maester, who could get out a raven, who could fly insane speeds to Dragonstone, who could get the Maester at Dragonstone, a message to the queen who had to grab her dragons quickly to get north of the wall in insanely incredibly speeds, just in time to save the team from the dead?

How likely is it that the sidgel of the Night King shows up everywhere throughout the series?

There are an insane amount of non-possibilities and likely improbabilities in this series, often in the same episode.

You are focusing on a minuscule point, here. Everything is possible in a fictional world where everything is possible. I had a much harder time believing Gendry could run that fast through cold, ice & snow in record time than I have believing that magical rock can stay magical rock throughout the melting/forging process.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
.I had a much harder time believing Gendry could run that fast through cold, ice & snow in record time than I have believing that magical rock can stay magical rock throughout the melting/forging process.
Eh, I have a 20 year old son who runs up mountains for fun when he's not going up a frozen waterfall with ice axes like some wilding raider. Some young men are made of fucking iron, ask Smitty or any of the other soldiers here.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm
Kath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
.I had a much harder time believing Gendry could run that fast through cold, ice & snow in record time than I have believing that magical rock can stay magical rock throughout the melting/forging process.
Eh, I have a 20 year old son who runs up mountains for fun when he's not going up a frozen waterfall with ice axes like some wilding raider. Some young men are made of fucking iron, ask Smitty or any of the other soldiers here.
Yet you can't get past the Dragon Glass, you're so weird.
*yip*

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm
I'm a professional Craftsman. I know some people these days have never made anything with their hands past the 3rd grade. But it doesn't matter what the genre of a show is, when I see stuff that insults the hard-won knowledge of our species making tools for a million years it annoys me. A part of me wanted to see the Westerosi struggling to master the ancient art of working stone into weapons. Our ancestors KNEW some shit!

You can't even make a nail by pouring molten iron into a mold, why should you be able to make a magic dagger the same way?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm
StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm
I'm a professional Craftsman. I know some people these days have never made anything with their hands past the 3rd grade. But it doesn't matter what the genre of a show is, when I see stuff that insults the hard-won knowledge of our species making tools for a million years it annoys me. A part of me wanted to see the Westerosi struggling to master the ancient art of working stone into weapons. Our ancestors KNEW some shit!

You can't even make a nail by pouring molten iron into a mold, why should you be able to make a magic dagger the same way?
It a television show, people don't care, most people don't give a shit about that stuff. It's a pet peeve that no one else has, get over the fact that show didn't cater to you on this, you never should have expected it to.

Game of Thrones has never been a show that cares about those kinds of details, it spends enough time on stuff that doesn't need nearly as much screen time, we don't need to see a mythical substance forged in a realistic manner, that's not important, except to blacksmiths that wish television and movies reflected their pet peeves about forging realism, which is such a small percentage of the viewership that you can't expect them to care.
*yip*

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 pm

That shit ain't dragon glass tho.
For real.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"