Game of Thrones - mostly

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:47 pm
What bothers you the most about GoT?

For me it's the notion that every soldier wears armor all the time, followed closely by no one but redshirts wears hats, even in fucking blizzards beyond the wall. It's not like people can't follow action of people in hats, we watched westerns for decades!
The show peeled off from the books in season 2. Way way WAY too fast for the material. They need to slow it down, and let people savor the surroundings.

There’s no sense of time. They spent 4 episodes around a few days, the skipped ahead years at one point, without really informing the audience. A made-up date system would have helped immensely.

Also, it came completely unglued in season 7. Was a great show until then.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:54 pm

brewster wrote:
I've got to go with the ability to give birth to a murderous smoke-baby.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Also, it came completely unglued in season 7. Was a great show until then.
GoT, Season 7: Time Travel Edition

I've only been through it once, so I'll see how it plays on re-watch.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm

brewster wrote:
It thinks it's a 70-hour movie, instead of a television show.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 pm

I suggest watching the first two episodes in one sitting. It takes a little bit to set the hook.
Shit.... I watched Ep 1 and then POOF, the entire weekend was gone. I got sucked in hard.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Kath wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:54 pm
I've got to go with the ability to give birth to a murderous smoke-baby.
Eh, magic is magic, no holding it accountable for consistency. But people wear hat in the cold, all of them, except certain teens and hipsters.
StCapps wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm
It thinks it's a 70-hour movie, instead of a television show.
To me that's a feature not a bug. I can't stand regular standalone TV episodes anymore, like procedurals. These 8-13 episode seasons of one story are engrossing. Movies aren't as good at telling stories anymore, only spectacle, which is why great directors, writers and actors are doing premium TV these days.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Honestly, I'm doubting any of the contending characters end up on the throne. Maybe Varys convinces them to form a Republic.
Interesting theory. Varys definitely has a role to play, here. He said as much in Season I, talking to Ned, while he was awaiting his "trial." It's not something that Dany would necessarily be against, either, nor Jon. (Dany could really go either way, though; she does dig the power on the pretense of benevolence.)

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Eh, magic is magic, no holding it accountable for consistency. But people wear hat in the cold, all of them, except certain teens and hipsters.
True. Yes, it's annoying that they are in the most brutal temperatures without hats. Other annoying things? Hmm... I'll think on that.
To me that's a feature not a bug. I can't stand regular standalone TV episodes anymore, like procedurals. These 8-13 episode seasons of one story are engrossing. Movies aren't as good at telling stories anymore, only spectacle, which is why great directors, writers and actors are doing premium TV these days.
Agreed. I don't watch episodic television anymore. I think calling it an 80 hour movie is accurate.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Whatever you all do don't get to loud about this shit Heydarlan is going to come in here and tear your love lust apart ...haha. Anyone here a little let down after all these seasons ? I'll simply say Khaleesi was always horrible as a character and the actress herself and the shorting of the last season was bullshit .
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm

I should have rewatched the whole thing in preparation but I'll just enjoy the new season.

I think in a year or so I will rewatch the whole thing
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session