Good simple recipes

Smitty-48

Re: Good simple recipes

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm just having the OceanView cioppino from Costco and it's great.

Comes in two boil in a bag pouches, ready in five minutes and then you combine them into one bowl.

Gourmet MRE. Two thumbs up.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm
Flounders are kosher? It seems like a great recipe (I like flounder and have had it before), but I thought you mentioned in one thread how you don't eat certain things. Maybe I am remembering wrong.
You remembered right, but your kashrut sucks. Flounder are fine, they have fins and scales. Bottom dwelling, as some people think, has nothing at all to do with it. Besides obviously shellfish and mollusks, nonkosher fish are ones without scales like catfish, monkfish, and shark. FWIW this only applies to my home, outside I'll eat anything at all.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am
MilSpecs wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 am
Frittata. Very cheap, delicious and healthy.

Saute a couple of zucchini in a large frying pan in about a tablespoon of olive oil until almost done. Lightly beat 5 or six eggs with about 1/4 teaspoon dried basil - you don't want the egg all mixed together. Pour over the sauteed zucchini. Cover and cook on medium until the eggs are set. Now the fun part: flip your frittata and let it brown for about a minute on the other side. If you have to, cut it into four slices like a pizza and flip each slice. Serve warm or room temperature. This should make two meals for you.

You can make many kinds of frittatas: saute a small onion and add sliced cooked potatoes. Sliced tomato frittata. Mushrooms. Canned artichokes. All make good frittatas.
Works really well with sweet potato and smoked paprika.
That sounds delicious. How much paprika? Sautéed with the sweet potato?
:royalty-queen:

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm

I can’t post a link because it’s the Times, but google ny times 100 summer recipes and print it. This is the best very simple recipes collection I’ve ever seen, as in they’re just a couple of sentences each.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Don't mess muh Pork n Beans
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

Saute a couple of zucchini in a large frying pan in about a tablespoon of olive oil until almost done. Lightly beat 5 or six eggs with about 1/4 teaspoon dried basil - you don't want the egg all mixed together. Pour over the sauteed zucchini. Cover and cook on medium until the eggs are set. Now the fun part: flip your frittata and let it brown for about a minute on the other side. If you have to, cut it into four slices like a pizza and flip each slice. Serve warm or room temperature. This should make two meals for you.

You can make many kinds of frittatas: saute a small onion and add sliced cooked potatoes. Sliced tomato frittata. Mushrooms. Canned artichokes. All make good frittatas.
My standard sort of frittata is with pasta.
Ingredients:
Sauted onions & mushroom
chopped cooked broccoli
meat or fake meat like sausage, breakfast sausage, smoked fish, diced ham, bacon, anything strong
cooked rotini
6 eggs beaten with & 1/2 c milk
shredded cheddar

Saute the mushrooms & onions in a cast iron fry pan, dump in the rest of the ingredients, stir it up, then the eggs (the eggs should not quite cover them) and cover with cheese. Put under broiler to melt and brown the cheese then bake another 10-15 minutes till the eggs are set. Serve with a good hot sauce!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Post your matza ball recipe.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

My standard sort of frittata is with pasta.
Ingredients:
Sauted onions & mushroom
chopped cooked broccoli
meat or fake meat like sausage, breakfast sausage, smoked fish, diced ham, bacon, anything strong
cooked rotini
6 eggs beaten with & 1/2 c milk
shredded cheddar

Saute the mushrooms & onions in a cast iron fry pan, dump in the rest of the ingredients, stir it up, then the eggs (the eggs should not quite cover them) and cover with cheese. Put under broiler to melt and brown the cheese then bake another 10-15 minutes till the eggs are set. Serve with a good hot sauce!
That sounds delicious. I’ll try it with fake meat or a little bacon and mushrooms and onions first. No cheese with eggs here anymore - too rich, but I can get away with small amounts of meat with the eggs. No fra diavolo ever - the best I can do is the occasional wasabi.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm
That sounds delicious. I’ll try it with fake meat or a little bacon and mushrooms and onions first. No cheese with eggs here anymore - too rich, but I can get away with small amounts of meat with the eggs. No fra diavolo ever - the best I can do is the occasional wasabi.
Bummer about the cheese, I don't know how the top will turn out. I make it most often in fact with chopped up Morningstar breakfast sausage patties, no real meat with milk served in this house. Hearty enough for dinner.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:43 am

MilSpecs wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

Lots of smoked paprika. You can either steam the potatoes whole then slice them up or dice them small raw and fry them up, with the onion, in butter till cooked.
The second method has more taste but you have to keep stirring the potatoes till they are cooked. I put the paprika in when they are soft and just give it a couple of minutes before adding the egg. Makes for a colourful side dish or a nice snack on its own.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.