Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm
:goteam: :drunk:
This is Rodney's here;

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... csThlNhF5Y

469 King Street West right down in the 6ix
That looks about right, but I couldn't swear to it. Other than the oysters, my most distinct memory of the place was getting rickshaw rides with my crew and some ladies we met out front after the oysters en route to a few more joints around town.

heydaralon

Re: Good simple recipes

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Hastur wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm
I’ve eaten a lot of bear sausage if that counts.
Did you like it?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm
:goteam: :drunk:
This is Rodney's here;

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... csThlNhF5Y

469 King Street West right down in the 6ix
That looks about right, but I couldn't swear to it. Other than the oysters, my most distinct memory of the place was getting rickshaw rides with my crew and some ladies we met out front after the oysters en route to a few more joints around town.
It's the best in the 6ix, five star good, but not pretentious, still a beer hall atmosphere, it's not hoighty toighty.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:00 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Did you like it?
Its a great snack with beer.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 pm

Hastur wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:00 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Did you like it?

Out of curiosity, what kind of bear? The one drawback to bear meat I've heard is that it is lousy with parasites. In one survival vid I saw where they were cutting apart the bear meat, you could actually see a large (tape?)worm in there moving around. The solution is you cook it under intense heat and cook it for a long time, and no worries. Not too much bear meat sold in Florida, but up north some folks try it.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Did you like it?

That looks good. Would you all eat that with cheese or mustard?

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 pm
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Did you like it?

Out of curiosity, what kind of bear? The one drawback to bear meat I've heard is that it is lousy with parasites. In one survival vid I saw where they were cutting apart the bear meat, you could actually see a large (tape?)worm in there moving around. The solution is you cook it under intense heat and cook it for a long time, and no worries. Not too much bear meat sold in Florida, but up north some folks try it.
Brown bear. It has to be inspected for Trichinella before being used. I don't know how common it is.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:24 pm

What you need to do is master the simple stir fry, which is the basis for Chinese, French, Italian, and several other cuisines. Garlic & onions mandatory, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli & zucchini are good too. Once you have that, you can add ginger & soy for Chinese, wine & herbs for Italian, butter & cream for French, etc. There's several names for the aromatic base, mirepoix, sofrito, don't know what the chinese call it.

Example from my kitchen:
Italian:Garlic, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, white wine, cannolli beans, 4 cheese pizza cheese, served over pasta.
Spanish: Garlic, onions, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, diced chorizo sausage, a bit of tomato sauce, cilantro, served over rice.

Here's my best stupidly easy fish recipe, adapted from a fancier one. This will work with any white flaky fish. Https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ile-380597:

Thai spicy steamed fish
INGREDIENTS
8 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs fine grated fresh ginger
1/4 C chopped cilantro stems plus cilantro leaves for garnish
2 tablespoon chopped green Thai chiles ( I use 2 red jalapenos)
1/4 C (or more) fresh lime juice
1/4 C Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
2 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of freshly ground white or black pepper
1 1/2 lb of fish, whole, fillets, whatever
1/4 C low-salt chicken broth (or not, or whatever you have)
1 lime, cut into thin rounds
Steamed jasmine rice

PREPARATION
In a small food processor puree garlic, cilantro stems, and chiles and a bit of the liquid until a coarse paste forms. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper; pulse in a mini-processor until as smooth as it's going to get.
Place fish in 9x12 glass dish, and cover with sauce, if you're using whole fish, slash it with parallel cuts and work the sauce into the cuts. Cover tightly with foil and place in 415 deg oven till fish is done, around 1/2 hr. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro leaves, serve with white rice. I sometimes slice zucchini 1/4 inch thick and just put it in the pan to steam with the fish.

A whole flounder. I'd leave the head on but then it won't fit in the pan. Seems like a lot of sauce, but you want plenty to spoon over the rice. I actually doubled the amount from the original recipe.

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:17 pm
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Did you like it?

That looks good. Would you all eat that with cheese or mustard?
Just as it is.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:24 pm
What you need to do is master the simple stir fry, which is the basis for Chinese, French, Italian, and several other cuisines. Garlic & onions mandatory, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli & zucchini are good too. Once you have that, you can add ginger & soy for Chinese, wine & herbs for Italian, butter & cream for French, etc. There's several names for the aromatic base, mirepoix, sofrito, don't know what the chinese call it.

Example from my kitchen:
Italian:Garlic, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, white wine, cannolli beans, 4 cheese pizza cheese, served over pasta.
Spanish: Garlic, onions, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, diced chorizo sausage, a bit of tomato sauce, cilantro, served over rice.

Here's my best stupidly easy fish recipe, adapted from a fancier one. This will work with any white flaky fish. Https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ile-380597:

Thai spicy steamed fish
INGREDIENTS
8 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs fine grated fresh ginger
1/4 C chopped cilantro stems plus cilantro leaves for garnish
2 tablespoon chopped green Thai chiles ( I use 2 red jalapenos)
1/4 C (or more) fresh lime juice
1/4 C Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
2 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of freshly ground white or black pepper
1 1/2 lb of fish, whole, fillets, whatever
1/4 C low-salt chicken broth (or not, or whatever you have)
1 lime, cut into thin rounds
Steamed jasmine rice

PREPARATION
In a small food processor puree garlic, cilantro stems, and chiles and a bit of the liquid until a coarse paste forms. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper; pulse in a mini-processor until as smooth as it's going to get.
Place fish in 9x12 glass dish, and cover with sauce, if you're using whole fish, slash it with parallel cuts and work the sauce into the cuts. Cover tightly with foil and place in 415 deg oven till fish is done, around 1/2 hr. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro leaves, serve with white rice. I sometimes slice zucchini 1/4 inch thick and just put it in the pan to steam with the fish.

A whole flounder. I'd leave the head on but then it won't fit in the pan. Seems like a lot of sauce, but you want plenty to spoon over the rice. I actually doubled the amount from the original recipe.

Flounders are kosher? It seems like a great recipe (I like flounder and have had it before), but I thought you mentioned in one thread how you don't eat certain things. Maybe I am remembering wrong.
Shikata ga nai