Good simple recipes

Smitty-48

Re: Good simple recipes

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Mostly I just eat what my wife cooks for me, the dinner bell rings and I report for feeding.

And she's an amazing cook, so I can't lose.
Have you ever cooked an entire pig before?
In the army, with the British Army, big army party in the field, cooked a whole pig, amongst other things.

I wasn't cooking it tho, the Brits were hosting.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Hastur wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Costco sells OceanPrime oysters on the half shell, just thaw and serve.
I went to an oyster bar once for this girl's birthday and we drank what she termed "oyster shots." Basically you put the oyster in the beer and then drink it down. I don't know if that is a common thing or what. It wasn't bad, just a bit salty.

I don't eat oysters much, but I like them in any fashion, with frying being my favorite form. Hell, the canned ones aren't bad either, especially with a cracker and tabasco sauce.
I was once served deep fired oysters with ketchup as dipping in the US. With Bollinger. It was an unexpected favorite. Perfect combination. Is it a common dish over there? I should learn how to make those.
Its very big in the South. Savannah and Charleston have great Seafood, as do many Southern Cities, especially ones that are right on the Gulf. In general, the South has the best food in the US imo. BBQ and seafood are very hard to top. I would probably be burned at the stake for admitting that I also really enjoy Carolina and Kansas city bbq as well though...
Last edited by heydaralon on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Costco sells OceanPrime oysters on the half shell, just thaw and serve.
I went to an oyster bar once for this girl's birthday and we drank what she termed "oyster shots." Basically you put the oyster in the beer and then drink it down. I don't know if that is a common thing or what. It wasn't bad, just a bit salty.

I don't eat oysters much, but I like them in any fashion, with frying being my favorite form. Hell, the canned ones aren't bad either, especially with a cracker and tabasco sauce.
I was once served deep fired oysters with ketchup as dipping in the US. With Bollinger. It was an unexpected favorite. Perfect combination. Is it a common dish over there? I should learn how to make those.
Ketchup?

Some folks down here use hot sauce. I don't eat anything on a raw oyster, and can't imagine why someone would; although I do like to eat fresh horseradish in-between shucks.

For broiled/roasteds, hell, let it all hang out for seasonings to go along with the butter.

I'm getting chubs just thinking about it.

:goteam: :drunk:

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Ketchup?

Some folks down here use hot sauce. I don't eat anything on a raw oyster, and can't imagine why someone would; although I do like to eat fresh horseradish in-between shucks.

For broiled/roasteds, hell, let it all hang out for seasonings to go along with the butter.

I'm getting chubs just thinking about it.

I prefer raw oysters au naturel as well. Perhaps with a drop of lemon juice or Tabasco to mix it up.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm
This is Rodney's here;

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... csThlNhF5Y

469 King Street West right down in the 6ix
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Mostly I just eat what my wife cooks for me, the dinner bell rings and I report for feeding.

And she's an amazing cook, so I can't lose.
In the army, with the British Army, big army party in the field, cooked a whole pig, amongst other things.

Have you ever eaten bear meat? It looks delicious. This Canadian survivalist has cooked it numerous times and used the fat for other cooking projects. What about beaver? Both those meats sound amazing. Believe it or not, the guy said the tail of beaver is pure fat and is amazing.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Horseradish goes well with oysters prepared in any way. The raw ones just taste like salt water to me. Not bad, but I prefer them fried personally.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm

I’ve eaten a lot of bear sausage if that counts.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Have you ever eaten bear meat? It looks delicious. This Canadian survivalist has cooked it numerous times and used the fat for other cooking projects. What about beaver? Both those meats sound amazing. Believe it or not, the guy said the tail of beaver is pure fat and is amazing.
I've eaten bear and moose and seal, but not beaver. Beaver is for hats.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:54 pm

This is a pretty simple recipe that I cook every month or so. One of my favorites. The only thing I do differently is to just cook the basil carrot salad along with the ground beef. It creates this really good stew. Also I use noodles instead of rice. Either way it tastes great.

Ingredients
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 (0.75-oz) bag fresh basil, coarsely chopped and divided
2 limes, for juice
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 lb ground chuck beef
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup clam juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 (8.5-oz) package precooked jasmine rice
2 cups matchstick carrots
1/2 cup presliced green onions
Steps
Remove cilantro leaves from stems, then chop (1/4 cup). Chop basil (about 3/4 cup, divided). Squeeze limes for juice (4 tablespoons, divided).
Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add beef; brown 4–5 minutes, stirring to crumble, and until no pink remains. Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic, red pepper, clam juice, and soy sauce.
Drain beef, then return to pan; add lime juice mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about one-half and mixture thickens. Remove pan from heat; stir in 1/2 cup basil. Prepare rice following microwave package instructions.
Combine remaining 1/2 cup basil, cilantro, carrots, and green onions. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons each lime juice and oil; toss with carrot mixture until evenly coated. Serve beef mixture over rice; top with carrot mixture.
Shikata ga nai