Good simple recipes

heydaralon

Re: Good simple recipes

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Costco sells OceanPrime oysters on the half shell, just thaw and serve.
I went to an oyster bar once for this girl's birthday and we drank what she termed "oyster shots." Basically you put the oyster in the beer and then drink it down. I don't know if that is a common thing or what. It wasn't bad, just a bit salty.

I don't eat oysters much, but I like them in any fashion, with frying being my favorite form. Hell, the canned ones aren't bad either, especially with a cracker and tabasco sauce.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Seafood is my cocaine. I savor the oyster slowly. It's gold, Jerry.

I'm going to have the Costco Cioppino tonight, actually.

Boil in a bag, gourmet convenience ftw.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:24 pm

I like seafood, but I don't eat it too often. Sometimes I will get some fresh tilapia and bread it with some italian crumbs and some garlic pepper and its pretty good. Clam linguine is also a favorite of mine.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Mostly I just eat what my wife cooks for me, the dinner bell rings and I report for feeding.

And she's an amazing cook, so I can't lose.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Then I got my mother in law as backup, I can show up there anytime and she will feed me too.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Mostly I just eat what my wife cooks for me, the dinner bell rings and I report for feeding.

And she's an amazing cook, so I can't lose.
Have you ever cooked an entire pig before? There are 2 ways I've seen it done. The first is in one of those amazing giant smokers that bbq afficianados do. The second way involves burying the pig in the ground wrapped in leaves with coals and letting it sit for hours.

I went on a boyscout campout once and some kid's dad did this and buried the pig. We dug it up many hours later. It was pretty damn good. I think Chinese markets sell whole baby pigs. One of these days, I am going to try this and have enough pork to last me weeks.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:

Indeed, take those oysters slowly. Treat each one like it's the last thing you'll ever get to eat.

Broiled oysters are the shiznet also. I usually save up to go crazy on them at Indian Pass down by Apalachicola.

But.... and Smits I wish I could remember the name of the place -- the best I ever had was at an oyster bar in downtown Toronto back in June of 97 the evening after watching Rocket Clemens get dusted by the Braves at Skydome. Those damned oysters were like an orgasm, every one.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:37 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Indeed, take those oysters slowly. Treat each one like it's the last thing you'll ever get to eat.

Broiled oysters are the shiznet also. I usually save up to go crazy on them at Indian Pass down by Apalachicola.

But.... and Smits I wish I could remember the name of the place -- the best I ever had was at an oyster bar in downtown Toronto back in June of 97 the evening after watching Rocket Clemens get dusted by the Braves at Skydome. Those damned oysters were like an orgasm, every one.
There's Rodney's Oyster House on King Street, that's where I usually go.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Costco sells OceanPrime oysters on the half shell, just thaw and serve.
I went to an oyster bar once for this girl's birthday and we drank what she termed "oyster shots." Basically you put the oyster in the beer and then drink it down. I don't know if that is a common thing or what. It wasn't bad, just a bit salty.

I don't eat oysters much, but I like them in any fashion, with frying being my favorite form. Hell, the canned ones aren't bad either, especially with a cracker and tabasco sauce.
I was once served deep fired oysters with ketchup as dipping in the US. With Bollinger. It was an unexpected favorite. Perfect combination. Is it a common dish over there? I should learn how to make those.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:41 pm

One of my favorite seafood dishes. Along with calamari rings, this greek octopus soup dish I had in Tarpon srpings, and just straight up fried breaded cod. Fish and chips are always solid.
Shikata ga nai