MHF Religious War

Your religion/nature of your lack of one

Catholic Church
29%
Protestant or Reformed
13%
Orthodox Christian or Eastern Churches outside of the CC.
No votes
Other Christian movement, or Mormons or Jehovas Witnesses
4%
Orthodox Judaism
No votes
Reform Judaism
8%
Agnostic or "Cultural Christian"
29%
Other traditional religion
4%
New Age/Neo-Pagan/Reconstructionist religions
4%
Atheist
8%

Total votes: 24

brewster

Re: MHF Religious War

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm
Would not the right form of Judaism simply be keeping the Covenant, even though you don't have a Temple any longer?
Would not the correct form of Christianity be following the exact words of Jesus, not of Paul or any Popes?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm
Would not the right form of Judaism simply be keeping the Covenant, even though you don't have a Temple any longer?
Would not the correct form of Christianity be following the exact words of Jesus, not of Paul or any Popes?
If the Pope is an apostate, then you shouldn't follow him. If he is a good Pope, then he is just advancing the Word of Christ. St. Paul acted under the guidance of Christ as well.

Technically, we should just follow the ten commandants, receive our sacraments (especially confession when we sin), and strive to perfect ourselves.

In our context, the Covenant is to love one another as Christ loves us. So, yeah, we fail at that just like you fail at your Covenant.

What I mean is that you ought to try to follow the Covenant. I read a lot of goofy stories about some kinds of Jews trying to skirt the ritual laws in various ways, like hanging wires around a neighborhood or something, like God is a lawyer.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm
brewster wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm
If the Pope is an apostate, then you shouldn't follow him. If he is a good Pope, then he is just advancing the Word of Christ. St. Paul acted under the guidance of Christ as well.
Must be fun keeping your head on your shoulders after deciding the pope is an apostate, Savonarola didn't manage it, he was used for kindling.
Technically, we should just follow the ten commandants, receive our sacraments (especially confession when we sin), and strive to perfect ourselves.

In our context, the Covenant is to love one another as Christ loves us. So, yeah, we fail at that just like you fail at your Covenant.

What I mean is that you ought to try to follow the Covenant. I read a lot of goofy stories about some kinds of Jews trying to skirt the ritual laws in various ways, like hanging wires around a neighborhood or something, like God is a lawyer.
The more rules you make, the more you get people trying to weasel out. Human nature. As I understand it, this was a portion of what Jesus was trying to reform in Temple Judaism. It seems the nature of these thing to complicate.

I may have used this one here before:
One famous account in the Talmud (Shabbat 31a) tells about a gentile who stated that he would accept Judaism only if a rabbi would teach him the entire Torah while he, the prospective convert, stood on one foot. He ended up encountering the famous Rabbi Hillel who said:

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary"
Point being, see the forest, not the trees. Pass everything you do by the Golden Rule, and you won't go far wrong. But that requires that rare commodity, self honesty. Hence the rest of the rules to get rid of the ambiguity.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Last edited by TheReal_ND on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Agnostics making a run for the title now
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 am

Where do Earth Worshippers fall on the list ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:52 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 am
Where do Earth Worshippers fall on the list ?
New Age
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm

What's everyone giving up for Lent? I think I'm going to quit fapping to Instagram whores. That's not really giving up a luxury though so I will probably supplement that by lightly fasting. Maybe quit day drinking on my days off.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Shit. I just had a red bull

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm
What's everyone giving up for Lent? I think I'm going to quit fapping to Instagram whores. That's not really giving up a luxury though so I will probably supplement that by lightly fasting. Maybe quit day drinking on my days off.
When does lent start up? Give me a couple weeks notice and I'll pledge to stop vaping CBD oil for 3 hours.