MHF Religious War

Your religion/nature of your lack of one

Catholic Church
29%
Protestant or Reformed
13%
Orthodox Christian or Eastern Churches outside of the CC.
No votes
Other Christian movement, or Mormons or Jehovas Witnesses
4%
Orthodox Judaism
No votes
Reform Judaism
8%
Agnostic or "Cultural Christian"
29%
Other traditional religion
4%
New Age/Neo-Pagan/Reconstructionist religions
4%
Atheist
8%

Total votes: 24

BjornP

Re: MHF Religious War

Post by BjornP » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:31 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm
Very thorough list, btw.
Not even close. Just for me, lacking was Conservative Judaism, or Agnostic Judaism. There's also the hippie 'drum and tambourine' sect, Jewish Renewal. I could go on, but you see where lists like this can go...

'Protestants are basically liberals'? Episcopals possibly, but try telling that to the Southern Baptists! They'll give you a whooping.
There's a technical maximum of 10 poll options. Had there been more the option for more options...there would have been more options.

I know there is a difference between Conservative and Orthodox Judaism, but if I had to change it I would only change it to "Orthodox or Conservative Judaism", since I imagine the difference between Orthodox and Conservative Judaism is smaller than the difference between either of those vs. Reform Judaism. As for Agnostic Judaism, if that's what you adhere to, the obvious option is "Agnostic or Cultural Christian", since you'd also be in the "Culturally religious" grouping. I figured people could deduce based on the given religious options where they fit best? :think:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:50 pm

BjornP wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:31 pm
There's a technical maximum of 10 poll options. Had there been more the option for more options...there would have been more options.
Fair nuff then.
I know there is a difference between Conservative and Orthodox Judaism, but if I had to change it I would only change it to "Orthodox or Conservative Judaism", since I imagine the difference between Orthodox and Conservative Judaism is smaller than the difference between either of those vs. Reform Judaism.
I'd say not true. Reform has drifted more to conservative over the years as people realized that if you pitch enough tradition you have nothing left. In general, Conservatives like an old fashioned service with lots of Hebrew, but are egalitarian, no sexism in the house, and aren't much inclined to truly follow the Mitzvot, the specific rules like governing food and the Sabbath. Conservatives are more inclined than reform to give some form of lip service to the rules, like eating almost any non-kosher meat, but not pork. Old joke: what do you call a conservative Jew who keeps kosher?...............Rabbi. That said, I know Conservative individuals and even communities that are Orthodox in all but the sexist practices.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:58 pm

And here I was thinking my poll was so very inclusive and diversified. :snooty: Now I just need clubby to tell me that whatever Judaism he follows, if he follows any, isn't represented either.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:55 pm

BjornP wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:58 pm
And here I was thinking my poll was so very inclusive and diversified. :snooty: Now I just need clubby to tell me that whatever Judaism he follows, if he follows any, isn't represented either.
One thing for sure, Clubby follows the RIGHT Judaism! Don't sweat it, this was never a game you were going to win...
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Would not the right form of Judaism simply be keeping the Covenant, even though you don't have a Temple any longer?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:10 pm

This is America. Judaism is the only true religion. Tikkum Ollam one turd world shit hole at a time. Iran is next.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Well, it looks like the election is closed. This is now the Martin Hash Catholic Forum.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm

We know who the real jews are

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

:shhh:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:19 pm