So yeah... my day has taken an interesting turn.

The Conservative

Re: So yeah... my day has taken an interesting turn.

Post by The Conservative » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:25 am
Titles help, but gambling the shot at a "director" title vs. having no income and a big employment gap on the resume isn't a risk I'd take. Especially since "Director" experience at some unknown startup that crashed isn't going to lead to a job as "Director" at a large and successful company. Just like CEO's of unknown, dead, start-ups aren't recruited to become CEOs of GM, Apple, or Target. Titles without tangible results aren't worth much at highly competitive and successful organizations.

/shrug

Either way I hope things work out for you. My advice would be to minimize your risk and maximize your rewards - whichever path you think that is.
Well here is the thing, the job, the Tier II tech is a 3 month contract, was told to be a 1 year originally.

The other job, is not a startup, it's an international company...they haven't been a startup for over 15 years. So, yeah, the second job is more stable.
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:03 am

The Conservative wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 am
Well here is the thing, the job, the Tier II tech is a 3 month contract, was told to be a 1 year originally.
3 months is a gig, not a job.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:03 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:03 am
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 am
3 months is a gig, not a job.
That’s the point. I agreed to a job, not a gig.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm

DBTrek wrote:
My advice would be to minimize your risk and maximize your rewards - whichever path you think that is.
Ah, but easier said than done, ol' bean, the less the risk, the less the margin, not to mention, the men who have gone on to make a mint in America, often risked all, leap of faith into the freedom factory, with all the dangers therein, hence why we salute them, no?
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm
DBTrek wrote:
My advice would be to minimize your risk and maximize your rewards - whichever path you think that is.
Ah, but easier said than done, ol' bean, the less the risk, the less the margin, not to mention, the men who have gone on to make a mint in America, often risked all, leap of faith into the freedom factory, with all the dangers therein, hence why we salute them, no?
Sure.
But you have to consider the audience.

I'm not talking to a pioneer travelling westward on a waggon trail, I'm talking to a dude with a young kid in 2019.
Some folks can only torpedo their own boats if they fail.
Others take their families down with them.

Risk must be balanced by responsibilities.

Though in this case, missing out on a 3-month contract doesn't sound that much riskier than just not having a job and holding out for something better - if savings allow.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:30 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:25 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Sure.
But you have to consider the audience.

I'm not talking to a pioneer travelling westward on a waggon trail, I'm talking to a dude with a young kid in 2019.
Some folks can only torpedo their own boats if they fail.
Others take their families down with them.

Risk must be balanced by responsibilities.

Though in this case, missing out on a 3-month contract doesn't sound that much riskier than just not having a job and holding out for something better - if savings allow.
Oh, I am a cowardly Lion, I am Mister Hedged, I assure you, I will never make a mint in America, I'm already wealthy by my trailer park infantryman standards, I just don't want to work for da Man anymore.

Here tho, you make a call for me, your call, my money; the South African company Naspers is holding $145 billion of Tencent shares from Johannesburg, arbitrage play, own Chinese internet company by proxy, is that a buy?
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:32 pm

For all I know about the international stock market at the moment you'd do just as well to flip a coin.

:lol:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:34 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:32 pm
For all I know about the international stock market at the moment you'd do just as well to flip a coin.

:lol:
Make a call, I trust your instincts implicitly, Naspers got in on the ground floor with Tencent, now Tencent is blowing up into a behemoth, I don't trust Beijing, but these shares would be held from Jo-burg.

Buy?
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I would.

Can't see China letting Tencent fail.

Kinda like if anyone asked if they should get shares of Tata Consulting Services, or Tata-anything in India. My default answer would be "Uh, yeah.")
Last edited by DBTrek on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:39 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm
I would.

Can't see China letting Tencent fail.
Yes! I knew you would get it right. Let's go, baby!
Nec Aspera Terrent