My DNA Analysis

MilSpecs

Re: My DNA Analysis

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm

If you can get an ancestry paper trail, IMO that’s more interesting than the DNA. It’s not as hard as it used to be either, since the Internet gives you all the information you need to get started. Some of the stuff I found out went far beyond the history into the details that make you feel like you knew them as real relatives instead of distant ancestors.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 pm

The problem with genealogy, it turns out, is the relatively high rate of female infidelity and lying. Even if you go with the relatively low-balled figure of 10%, you'd need only go back five generations at most before your genealogy is false if it is based on records and not DNA. It's more likely you need only go back about three generations before your DNA doesn't match your genealogy.

The one thing these tests are very, very good at doing is exposing lying mothers.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Get some therapy for those mommy issues or just stop inserting them into every random conversation, I don’t care which.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:27 pm

It's 100% applicable to this thread. Get some help for your princess issues if you cannot handle what these tests reveal.

Genealogy was proved useless without DNA verification of what the documents say.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm
If you can get an ancestry paper trail, IMO that’s more interesting than the DNA. It’s not as hard as it used to be either, since the Internet gives you all the information you need to get started. Some of the stuff I found out went far beyond the history into the details that make you feel like you knew them as real relatives instead of distant ancestors.
It's also the most accurate and personalized way to actually discover what your family history is. Baptismal records, census data, old newspapers (for obituaries, and news stories that could feature old family members), records on land ownership, etc. That's what best brings those who want to learn their family history closer to their roots.

DNA can get misleading. To take Carlus' results as an example: Even though it says 50% Slavic and 35% German, depending on where his family ancestors actually lived geographically, German could have been their dominant culture and language, even despite the stronger Slavic genetic markers. The Prussian/German Imperial parts of Poland, for example, would have had alot of intermarriage between Germans and Slavic peoples, but if you wanted to get ahead in the Prussian/German-held parts, you adopted German language and culture in public.

Ashkenazi Jews are also a good example, since while they early on intermarried with Gentile, native Slavic women, they're still Jewish. So even if the genetic percentage of Semitic genes are low or lower than other percentages, it doesn't really matter as a way to figure out what culture they actually belong to.

Aside from that, while mass migrations where not as common in the 18th to early 20th century, some Europeans still emigrated to other Europeans countries for work. Their children and grandchildren might not learn the language or culture their grandparents where part of, and so the importance of genetics can get trumped by culture.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Big Pharma Just Bought Access to Your DNA From Genealogy Company 23andMe
https://returntonow.net/2019/01/09/big- ... imR_1_-flk
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:59 pm
Unless 23andMe withheld that bit of info from the customers, meh... if the contract says they now own the genetic material the customer sent them, that's what they own and what the customer agreed to give over in exchange for service.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:00 am

BjornP wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:59 pm
Unless 23andMe withheld that bit of info from the customers, meh... if the contract says they now own the genetic material the customer sent them, that's what they own and what the customer agreed to give over in exchange for service.
Not sure of the specifics of those agreements, but this shows the complications of turning over your DNA. I personally wouldn't want Pharma companies having my DNA. How long before insurance companies and more own the data ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience