Anybody have a take on the Panamanian economy?

brewster

Anybody have a take on the Panamanian economy?

Post by brewster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Family went to Panama for the holiday week. There were more skyscrapers in Panama City than I have seen in any US city besides NYC. WTF? Is it all money laundering for Russian oligarchs and other kleptocrats? There's no way their "80% service economy" brings in such cash. It's not like the whole city gleams, there was plenty of ghetto, and even in the "upscale" areas you had to watch your step or you could fall into open manholes and other huge traps in the sidewalk. Something just felt wrong. I'd be interested in hearing the MHF take.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Re: Anybody have a take on the Panamanian economy?

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah, the ChiComms moved in after the Jimmy Carter withdrawal took affect.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm

key shipping route for global trade
OMG why is there so much money here???

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:55 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm
We built it, after everyone else failed at it, we gave it away. The one colonial possession we had that made bank. Jimmy said, Ah, Fuck No. We can't make money.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Oh yes I'm sure Jimmy Carter just woke up one day and decided to make a giant globoeconomic decision all on his own. This country is for sale and everyone in it.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Oh yes I'm sure Jimmy Carter just woke up one day and decided to make a giant globoeconomic decision all on his own. This country is for sale and everyone in it.
I don't remember the details, but I do remember surprise this happened, a real WTF. He did that in the late 70s, but made it effective in the 2000s.

Yes, the Globohomo's in the American swamp do consider the country for sale and everyone in it. Uranium One comes to mind immediately.
PLATA O PLOMO

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:10 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm
They take $2B/yr in tolls. Egypt takes $5B for the Suez and looks nothing like Panama City. There's no natural reason the cargo going through should have any other effect on the economy. Most of it never touches Panamanian soil. This place is more like Dubai in the jungle.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Haven't you heard of "The Panama Papers"? It's an off-shore haven, plus lots of ex-pats live there.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:27 pm
Haven't you heard of "The Panama Papers"? It's an off-shore haven, plus lots of ex-pats live there.
I should relearn about the Papers. I didn't think it was this kind of cash. I'm surprised it attracts expats, they use the dollar, so there's no exchange advantage, and it's not that cheap. A meal is maybe 70-80% what you'd pay in US.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Two causes: (1) it's an infamous tax haven, which means their financial sector is absolutely massive relative to their national size; (2) they are an ex-pat retirement haven, which means a lot of boomer retirement funds are flowing in around the country, which also boosts their entire economy.