Facebook Presence

Speaker to Animals

Re: Facebook Presence

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am

Kath wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am
If anyone can overturn a monopoly, then it's not a monopoly.

FB started out with one user. ONE. At the time, My Space was the unquestioned leader of social media.

Where's My Space now? That's right; FB went to the government who forcibly removed My Space from the marketplace to give FB a monopoly.

Or.... OR.... something better came along that was more appealing to the masses.
That's not true either. A monopoly can create barriers to entry or, in the case of Facebook, enjoy a barrier to entry that happens naturally due to the nature of the technology (network effect), but barriers to entry can never be totally insurmountable. There is no such thing in the history of mankind.

What I see shekel cucks often do is create impossible conditions to meet in order to regulate really shitty behavior on the part of corporations. It's nonsensical, really, and the issue with Facebook's censorious behavior is not even an issue of monopoly at all.

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am

Only government can create a monopoly. Did government say no new social media sites can form?

My son uses Ifunny. Lots of people use Instagram and Pintrest, instead of FB.

Is there competition? Yes? Not a monopoly.

Did government say no competition allowed? Monopoly.

This is junior high economic shit.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 am

In particular..

The problem here, rather than being one of a monopoly, has to do with how Facebook is to be held accountable for the content on their site.

On the one hand, when that progressive Facebook group radicalized the Bernie bro mass shooter who later tried to assassinate all the congressional republicans, Facebook claimed safe harbor rights. They don't want to be held liable for the content people post on their system in the same way that Martin is not technically liable for what we post on here (though he could be held accountable for not deleting illegal content he is aware of). This is basically like a library model. The library does not censor and lends out books freely. It's not their content. They are just a utility that dispenses the books.

But when Facebook gets into the censorship game, they act like a newspaper, picking and choosing what kind of ideas and content are allowed, and what are not. A newspaper is liable for what they print. If a newspaper pays some Bernie bro to write articles, and he writes shit that calls for violence, then the newspaper is liable. You see this in play right now with the Catholic kids suing the ever fuck out libelous newspapers for the lies, and those newspapers really are caught dead to rights, and rightly fucked.

If Facebook wants to edit and control what kinds of ideas are expressed on their platform, then they also are liable for the shit that gets posted there. That means they are liable for the mass shooter I mentioned. They are liable for Antifa using their platform to organize terroristic violence. In that respect, the fact that Facebook went out of their way to kick Proud Boys off their platform for "political violence" but not Antifa could very well fuck them down the road.

The question is a matter of what is Facebook, exactly? Is it like a newspaper where they get to pick and choose what ideas are allowed to be printed, or are they like a library? They can't be both however it suits them.

This has nothing to do with the shekel cuck ridiculousness of what they think a "monopoly" is. LOL

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am
LOL

A monopoly is defined by domination of the market share. If you are going to argue that they control all of a certain product being sold, then you will never be able to regulate monopolies, since all they need to do is allow some tiny competitor to exist while they exercise monopolistic powers and fuck you over year after year.

Monopoly:
An economic advantage held by one or more persons or companies deriving from the exclusive power to carry on a particular business or trade or to manufacture and sell a particular item, thereby suppressing competition and allowing such persons or companies to raise the price of a product or service substantially above the price that would be established by a free market.
https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/monopoly
StA: "A monopoly is defined by domination of the market share."
. . . proceeds to produce a definition that doesn't say jack about market share, but rather addresses "exclusive power" - which is what I said. The power to suppress competition. The power to exclude viable alternative offerings. The power to maintain an exclusive grip on a product or service. Something that Amazon, Google, Apple, and Facebook DO NOT HAVE.

Guess you should go read a book, StA.
Allow me to suggest Basic Economics, since it's an easily digestible, entry-level text that would be right up your alley.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

Kath wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am

This is junior high economic shit.
Maybe Junior High level in your area, but apparently graduate-level in others . . . since we have a guy with a college minor in it who is still confused.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am

I really don't give a shit about your alternative definition of a monopoly.

Regulating Facebook's censorship practices is not really an issue about monopolies.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 am

DB, Why don't you just go read a *real* econ textbook, like "Boomer Economics for Dummies," or "Dummy Economics for Boomers."

:goteam: :drunk:

Or, if you want to understand the real justification for destroying the first amendment and "regulating" FB, gi read Sen Warren's campaign platform.
Last edited by Fife on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:02 am

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

Maybe Junior High level in your area, but apparently graduate-level in others . . . since we have a guy with a college minor in it who is still confused.
It's in the same year you have to put a sample of something on each state to show their main crop ... a cotton ball on Georgia, a picture of cheese on Wisconsin; etc. (Or did I use real cheese? Can't recall, now.)

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am

If you put the cotton on Georgia, what you gonna use for Mississippi? Some collard greens?

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am

Fife wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am
If you put the cotton on Georgia, what you gonna use for Mississippi? Some collard greens?
Don't remember, but I remember the part about monopolies not meaning, "large % of market share."