Holiday Food Hierarchy

heydaralon

Holiday Food Hierarchy

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:01 pm

There are a lot of good meats cooked and eaten over the holidays. However, I am of the opinion that turkey is a bit too dry by itself. With gravy, that shit is awesome, especially the dark meat. Ham is good, especially when its been smoked a long time, but it is not my favorite meat. Roast fucking beef is near the top of my fucking list for holiday meats, although lamb secures the number one spot. My ranking of them is as follows:

1. Lamb (hands down)
2. Roast Beef (delicious as fuck with horseradish)
3. Smoked Turkey
4. Regular Turkey (dark meat is best, gotta have the gravy)
5. Ham (good, but I like pork chops and pork loin far more, not dissing ham though)

As far as sides go, I have to go with stuffing. The more gravy on it the better. Green beans with bacon fat are delicious, as is sweet potatoe is candied pecans. I am all about that shit. What did you folks eat for your Christmas meal? This year I had roast beef, including the ribs. It was fucking fire. I had stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, and some delicious rolls. I actually used beef fat instead of butter on the rolls, and that made them even better.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Re: Holiday Food Hierarchy

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Ham is fucking nasty.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm

1. Turkey
2. Turkey
3. Turkey
4. Turkey
5. Turkey

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Turkey doesn’t have to be dry. You need a better glaze/stuffing.

Agree that roast beef is the best, when it’s done right.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm
1. Turkey
2. Turkey
3. Turkey
4. Turkey
5. Turkey
Everyone looks at me weird when I tell them that I like dark meat better than the breast, but they are missing out. Same with chicken. The chicken thighs are not only cheaper than the breast meat, but they have more fat and more flavor, and are less dry and stringy. I was raised on dark meat, and it is my favorite part of the bird. Turkey is even stringier than chicken, which is why the gravy is so important. That gravy takes it to a different level of flavor. I also eat the kidneys and liver. They are delicious.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm

IT'S CHRISTMAS GOD DAMMIT ROAST A TURKEY

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm
1. Turkey
2. Turkey
3. Turkey
4. Turkey
5. Turkey
Everyone looks at me weird when I tell them that I like dark meat better than the breast, but they are missing out. Same with chicken. The chicken thighs are not only cheaper than the breast meat, but they have more fat and more flavor, and are less dry and stringy. I was raised on dark meat, and it is my favorite part of the bird. Turkey is even stringier than chicken, which is why the gravy is so important. That gravy takes it to a different level of flavor. I also eat the kidneys and liver. They are delicious.
I celebrate the entire Turkey meal.

Except the organs. I have not eaten giblets since I was a kid. Fuck that. I am grown up and can opt out of that shit now.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm
1. Turkey
2. Turkey
3. Turkey
4. Turkey
5. Turkey
I celebrate the entire Turkey meal.

Except the organs. I have not eaten giblets since I was a kid. Fuck that. I am grown up and can opt out of that shit now.
Eat your giblets.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:19 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Turkey doesn’t have to be dry. You need a better glaze/stuffing.

Agree that roast beef is the best, when it’s done right.
I have had turkey that wasn't dry, but it is hard to do it right. I've never deep fried a turkey, because everyone says that is a great way to burn your house down, but I want to try it some time. I have cooked a whole turkey twice. Needless to say, my parents do a far better job. The first time I tried it the bird was drier than the Sahara. I had to ladle gravy over it to make that shit a non choking hazard.
Shikata ga nai

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 am

Turkey neck is the bomb.