Bullshit Jobs

Speaker to Animals

Re: Bullshit Jobs

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am
I guess you have to have worked in a very large corporation to see it. Office Space wasn't just a comedy. That shit is real. Probably half the workers in the Fortune 500 companies are bullshit or superfluous.

I know the executives know this. I am not sure why it continues.
Surely it's a corollary to the low proportion of soldiers who actually fire their weapon with effect in combat. Most people seem to function at a low level. Ever watched a road crew? Or waited in a Code Official office to get a permit? Holy crap those people move in slow motion!

More like the proportion of service members who managed to get the "non-deployable" status tacked on to their records. They are dead weight in every sense of the word. They make our troop levels look great, but in terms of capabilities, they are a drain on every unit. Which is why Mattis decided to gas them a few months ago.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm
small gadgets for the entertainment industry
Like what?
Tabletop special effects for commercials (mostly replaced by computer animation today), animatronic puppets, mechanical components for elaborate Broadway and arena show costumes. Next gig is my annual build of angel wing frames for Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Actually got to go a few years ago, it's the Super Bowl of skinny broads!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

DPM17

Post by DPM17 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm

brewster wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm
small gadgets for the entertainment industry
Like what?
Tabletop special effects for commercials (mostly replaced by computer animation today), animatronic puppets, mechanical components for elaborate Broadway and arena show costumes. Next gig is my annual build of angel wing frames for Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Actually got to go a few years ago, it's the Super Bowl of skinny broads!
Like Ray Harryhausen stuff? If so, you're my hero.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm

DPM17 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm
Like Ray Harryhausen stuff? If so, you're my hero.
I'm the guy that Ray would hire to build the mechanical armatures inside his creatures. Some of my first customers in the 80s were animators before that all went digital except as a retro art form. Those dudes are batshit crazy. Moving those models is all about flow, stopping would make a glitch in the take. So they would do it continuously for like 18 hours.

They had all been like Steven Spielberg as kids except instead of shooting live action they sat there in their basement taking frame after frame, moving their models of fraction of an inch, for hours. It takes a real freak to do that and stick with it!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND