Bullshit Jobs

doc_loliday

Re: Bullshit Jobs

Post by doc_loliday » Tue May 22, 2018 2:35 pm

DPM17 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 am

There's a distinction between "shit jobs" and "bullshit jobs". Farming is most definitely not a bullshit job, being that it has a direct effect on the world. Whether it's a "shit job" or not is kinda up to the employee. I go work on my buddies farm one or two days a week because it's so much different than my actual job, and I feel grounded from doing it. But I don't know how I would feel if it were day in day out.

Bullshit jobs are different. They have no actual societal value.
I wasn't trying to say otherwise, just pointing out that even non-bullshit "shit" jobs can be mind numbing if they are personally unfulfilling.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 am
Look at people who don’t earn for themselves or give back to the tribe. Disabled vets
I know this was a personal attack on someone else but this line of logic is kind of flawed. I agree that it's a shit job inasmuch as there is nothing worth going to war for currently, domestically or abroad, but fighting for Israel literally props up the "tribe."

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 22, 2018 4:32 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 am
Look at people who don’t earn for themselves or give back to the tribe. Disabled vets
I know this was a personal attack on someone else but this line of logic is kind of flawed. I agree that it's a shit job inasmuch as there is nothing worth going to war for currently, domestically or abroad, but fighting for Israel literally props up the "tribe."
It wasn’t a personal attack on anyone. The main thrust of the book Tribe is that we inflict mental illnesses on disabled vets and other groups by excluding them from contributing to the “tribe” and treating them as victims. The isolation, frustration, and despair they feel from this communal ostrcization makes them suicidal, among other things.
Last edited by DBTrek on Tue May 22, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 22, 2018 4:34 pm

I see then

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am
I guess you have to have worked in a very large corporation to see it. Office Space wasn't just a comedy. That shit is real. Probably half the workers in the Fortune 500 companies are bullshit or superfluous.

I know the executives know this. I am not sure why it continues.
Surely it's a corollary to the low proportion of soldiers who actually fire their weapon with effect in combat. Most people seem to function at a low level. Ever watched a road crew? Or waited in a Code Official office to get a permit? Holy crap those people move in slow motion!

I've been fortunate to be able to be self employed nearly my entire adult life. There was a time in the 90's I occasionally worked in-house for a "household name" creative company, and it amazed me that there were people there whose main job seemed to be preserving their job. Even the one competent guy in my dept told me to slow down and not make them look so bad. I came from the real world where what you accomplished was all that mattered, not where you went to school or who you knew. You either delivered or you didn't. As far as I know when they disbanded that workshop like 12 years ago the head of my dept never worked in the business again, everyone knew he was an incompetent boob despite being there like 30 years.

I think much of the pushback over the "gig economy" is about this kind of accountability. You either produce or you don't get the next gig, and plenty of people hate that. That said, a lot of those "bullshit jobs" in the list are not superfluous, many executives would be helpless without their assistants, even ones that are competent. Some of the others are "lubricant" in the system. An engine looks like it should just work, but would grind to a halt without lube. PR flacks are actually needed, remember how Google was in deep shit some years back before it realized it actually needed them?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm
there were people there whose main job seemed to be preserving their job.
I have worked in these environments and they truly do suck for the competent. It's how I grew to hate unions; everyone is treated the same, regardless of productivity.

In addition to Office Space, Dilbert also speaks truth.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am
I guess you have to have worked in a very large corporation to see it. Office Space wasn't just a comedy. That shit is real. Probably half the workers in the Fortune 500 companies are bullshit or superfluous.

I know the executives know this. I am not sure why it continues.
Surely it's a corollary to the low proportion of soldiers who actually fire their weapon with effect in combat. Most people seem to function at a low level. Ever watched a road crew? Or waited in a Code Official office to get a permit? Holy crap those people move in slow motion!

I've been fortunate to be able to be self employed nearly my entire adult life. There was a time in the 90's I occasionally worked in-house for a "household name" creative company, and it amazed me that there were people there whose main job seemed to be preserving their job. Even the one competent guy in my dept told me to slow down and not make them look so bad. I came from the real world where what you accomplished was all that mattered, not where you went to school or who you knew. You either delivered or you didn't. As far as I know when they disbanded that workshop like 12 years ago the head of my dept never worked in the business again, everyone knew he was an incompetent boob despite being there like 30 years.

I think much of the pushback over the "gig economy" is about this kind of accountability. You either produce or you don't get the next gig, and plenty of people hate that. That said, a lot of those "bullshit jobs" in the list are not superfluous, many executives would be helpless without their assistants, even ones that are competent. Some of the others are "lubricant" in the system. An engine looks like it should just work, but would grind to a halt without lube. PR flacks are actually needed, remember how Google was in deep shit some years back before it realized it actually needed them?
What do you do again? You're a land lord right?

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Nerd is a consultant in data analytics/science. Most of his clients are huge companies; cruise lines, professional sports, car dealers. Incompetent people are everywhere, which is why they need to call in consultants like Nerd.

The number of people whose sole job is to make sure they don't get fired, is not insignificant. But, we learn from our leaders and that's all politicians do, really. There's not much value add from DC, really.

It's amazing to me how many people have the Sr. Directors and VPs convinced that the inefficient and ineffective way is the way to go. It's absolutely stunning how long it takes him to get through. But, it keeps us in a nice house; the money is not bad, really. So, these types of environments are very good for our bottom line. He's been on the same job for over two years, now, because they can't figure out why their own employees can't do what Nerd is doing, so instead of asking, "hey, are you actually qualified for this job?" they just keep renewing Nerd's SOW.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 pm
What do you do again? You're a land lord right?
That's a 2nd business. What I've been doing for 35 years is design and build small gadgets for the entertainment industry. Self taught engineer and machinist. I had to be self employed because I'm a crappy employee. At my 1st job in the industry at 21 I worked for this crazy Japanese dude who shouted at me "I don't pay you to sit and think, I pay you to do as I say!!" Fuck that, since I was doing what he couldn't. When you're self employed no one cares when you work or how long it does or doesn't take, as long as you deliver on time and the shit works and doesn't break. My shit works and doesn't break.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm

small gadgets for the entertainment industry
Like what?