Why Does God Let Really Bad Stuff Happen?

Fife

Why Does God Let Really Bad Stuff Happen?

Post by Fife » Sat May 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I purposely worded the question in this way, to show what (I think) is wrong with the usual framing. People will often say, “Why would a good God have permitted institutional slavery, children dying from cancer, the Holocaust…etc.?” But nobody says, “Why would a good God have allowed me to stub my toe this morning?” unless the person is cracking a joke.

Now thus far it seems like I’m not contributing anything, but I’m being dead serious. If you go back and re-read the above, I think we have our answer. WHY would it be goofy for an atheist to demand, “Why would a good God let me stub my toe?” It’s because we easily recognize, “That’s a silly argument. In the grand scheme of things, stubbing your toe is no big deal, and so if a God existed we could imagine there is some reason that would trump you avoiding a toe stubbing.”

And there’s the answer.

https://consultingbyrpm.com/blog/2016/0 ... appen.html

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Why Does God Let Really Bad Stuff Happen?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 am

So the equivalency is being made with a parent that left his kids a confusing note, and then abandoned them for 2,000 years. And they shouldn’t complain if they suffer.

Sounds like a God I should worship.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 am

Better to just worship yourself.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 06, 2018 11:12 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Better to just worship yourself.
Or nothing at all.

I marvel at the beauty of nature and the universe. I don’t need to imagine that some magical future awaits me after, or place some importance on my existence - I just accept my tiny place in it.

If anything, the magic sky-man myth is more about being unable to accept that you don’t matter.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun May 06, 2018 11:29 am

Everyone here knows you think you're god.

That ship has sailed.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Everyone here knows you think you're god.

That ship has sailed.
Cool story bro.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Why the assumption that there is any answer to that question, or any one answer?
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Every liberal thinks he is his own God. That's the core of what it means to be liberal, really. It's a rejection of rightful authority, including God himself, and a replacement with personal authority, which ironically always leads to tyranny.

E.g. Show me the "Christian" who dissents from Christian theology and dogma in some way, and I will show you a liberal.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Every liberal thinks he is his own God. That's the core of what it means to be liberal, really. It's a rejection of rightful authority, including God himself, and a replacement with personal authority, which ironically always leads to tyranny.

E.g. Show me the "Christian" who dissents from Christian theology and dogma in some way, and I will show you a liberal.
Protestants are all liberals?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Every liberal thinks he is his own God. That's the core of what it means to be liberal, really. It's a rejection of rightful authority, including God himself, and a replacement with personal authority, which ironically always leads to tyranny.

Protestants are all liberals?

More like a stepping stone to it. Without the Protestant revolt, there would be no liberals as we know of them.