Heroes You Hate/Villains You Love

DrYouth

Re: Heroes You Hate

Post by DrYouth » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Carl Jung was a visionary mystic who brought awareness to the depths of the unconscious mind and the collective.

He was also a cheating douchebag who openly had multiple affairs with his trainees.... while living with his family.

His wife remained devoted to him to the end.

So... there you have it....

People can be shitty.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Almost like he did not have any good answers..

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Y'all are getting into the spirit of it now.

To follow StA's lead I'll update the thread to include "Villains You Love".
In that vein, I have to tip a hat to my man Josef Stalin.

Motherfucking Stalin.

I don't need to recite his evils here, there's no time to write a whole book on him and most of you know the highlights. But take a moment and think about the state of Russia when Stalin took over - then think of the power and presence of the USSR when he died. Five year plans, baby. GETTIN' SHIT DONE!

The man clawed his way into power when Russia was a backwards agrarian society just out of the throes of monarchy. He left it the heart of the USSR, a nuclear super-power, an industrial nation, and with perhaps the strongest mainland army on Earth.

And they say bad guys never win.

Stalin does.

Damn.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 pm

DBTrek wrote:Wow Fife, deductive reasoning not a strong point with you, eh?
When portions of the city were taken from Japanese control, local civilians sometimes showed their gratitude by throwing parties and hosting banquets. During one of these parties, Serling and his comrades were fired upon, resulting in many soldier and civilian deaths. Serling, still a private after three years, caught the attention of Sergeant Lewis when he ran into the line of fire to rescue a performer who had been on stage when the artillery started firing.

As it moved in on Iwabuchi's stronghold, Serling's regiment had a 50% casualty rate, with over 400 men killed. Serling was wounded and three comrades were killed by shrapnel from rounds fired at his roving demolition team by an antiaircraft gun.[4]:50 He was sent to New Guinea to recover but soon returned to Manila to finish "cleaning up".[clarification needed]

Serling's final assignment was as part of the occupation force in Japan.[4]:51 During his military service, Private Serling was awarded the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star,[10] and the Philippine Liberation Medal.
Yep, fuck-off Serling who wouldn't reload in a firefight, who was actively in a war for three years and STILL remained a private (I made PFC in 3 months during peace time), who would wander off at random (AWOL in a war zone), got a purple heart for being wounded, a Liberation medal that likely went to all members of a unit, not individuals, and a bronze star.

Obviously a super trooper, dude.
Of course it should be stated that automatic promotions modern soldiers know did not always exist.

Plenty of WW2 vets came home as privates, and there was nothing shameful about it.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Re: Heroes You Hate/Villains You Love

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 pm

You made corporal before your enlistment was up but did you fight across the Pacific and earn a bronze star? LOL

Promotions didn't work back then like they did for our generation.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:You made corporal before your enlistment was up but did you fight across the Pacific and earn a bronze star? LOL

Promotions didn't work back then like they did for our generation.
That's something that stuck in my mind watching band of brothers. Those guys fought from D-day to VE day, and plenty of them came home still privates.

It only seems like a discredit to people accustomed to seeing kids jump up three ranks in their first 18 months thanks to automatic promotions, and who don't realize that was not always the case.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 am

Hollywood has plenty of both. Klaus Kinski comes to mind. A true artist and a mesmerizing screen presence but a horrifying monster in private.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 am

Villain I love: Napoleon Bonaparte.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 am

Cortez was a fucking brilliant manipulator and had balls of steel.

Kidnapping Montezuma was the icing on that cake.

Unbelievable against the odds antics.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am

DrYouth wrote:Cortez was a fucking brilliant manipulator and had balls of steel.

Kidnapping Montezuma was the icing on that cake.

Unbelievable against the odds antics.
Cortez was an amazing conquistador. I was talking to a man from Spain about Cortez last year and was surprised he was not enthusiastic about discussing him. Apparently it's because of his "treatment of the natives". I was surprised, because it seemed like a severe case of judging historical figures through a modern lens. Not only that, but it wasn't like the Aztecs were treating the natives much better. Let's not forget Cortez formed a significant coalition of peoples wronged by the Aztecs, or that the Aztecs were actively practicing human sacrifice.

Ah well. I like Cortez, and I think if I were Spanish I wouldn't be ashamed of him, but I try to keep historical perspective when applying judgment.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"