DBTrek

Re: Veganism

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:26 am

Sound advice, I may do that.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 am

I kept telling my GP doctor that my blood pressure suddenly drops really low, and I don't think he believed me. So when this happened, I was able to take photos of the readings over time.

Doctors are notorious for rarely listening to what patients are telling them. You have to prove it to them.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:45 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

It changes all the time. You should get a blood pressure monitor at the drug store and test yourself throughout the day. Doing it in the morning before you even sit up is a good way to find a baseline. That should be your lowest reading. It will also give you the best estimate for your resting heart rate.
Going to give this one a try and see how it goes. Man, we’re talking some old people shit when blood pressure discussions come up. Hah.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 am

DBTrek wrote:

It changes all the time. You should get a blood pressure monitor at the drug store and test yourself throughout the day. Doing it in the morning before you even sit up is a good way to find a baseline. That should be your lowest reading. It will also give you the best estimate for your resting heart rate.
Going to give this one a try and see how it goes. Man, we’re talking some old people shit when blood pressure discussions come up. Hah.

Or athlete-level shit. Knowing your blood pressure and resting heart rate is essential for training. You should check it every morning before you get out of bed. Put that in your training log.

Another thing you might want to do is get a typical scale for weighing yourself that you can squeeze with your hands (the more expensive ones won't work like that). After recording your blood pressure and resting heart rate, test your grip strength. The number you get doesn't mean anything by itself. What matters is that, over time, you will see your grip strength rise and fall. Before you get sick, you will see fluctuations before you have symptoms. It tells you what days are best to go heavy in the gym.

Had I known, I would have realized that my low resting heart rate and low blood pressure were signs that I might have this heart condition. I guess lots of people with that condition have advantages in sports because of it (more efficient I guess) but then they just drop dead in the middle of football practice.

In any case, there is no reason why you shouldn't be strong and athletic at our age. Jan Sobieski led the Hussar charge against the Turkish flank in very old age. Daniel Boone was out on the frontier doing his thing well into his seventies.

It's not normal for people to age as fast as they do today. People start to break down because they fail to use their bodies and they atrophy. You won't be as athletic as you were in your twenties, but you can certainly be more athletic than most millennials. Honestly, I think our generation is probably going to out-live millennials because of the poor health and degeneracy of that generation.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:01 am

Doctors are notorious for rarely listening to what patients are telling them. You have to prove it to them.
If your doctor doesn't trust you, you need a new doctor. This is not my experience.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:03 am

Kath wrote:
If your doctor doesn't trust you, you need a new doctor. This is not my experience.

I don't get a choice. I have socialized medicine.

As it is, I might have a potentially lethal heart condition, but I have to wait three months to get a simple echocardiogram.

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 am

Speaker to Animals wrote: I don't get a choice. I have socialized medicine.

As it is, I might have a potentially lethal heart condition, but I have to wait three months to get a simple echocardiogram.
Wishing you all the best on that one. Hopefully Trump will keep this campaign promise. I think the entire country wants that mess fixed.
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun May 06, 2018 11:48 am

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm