DBTrek

Re: Veganism

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:32 am

Damn dude, you having heart attacks?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 am

DBTrek wrote:Damn dude, you having heart attacks?

Basically. I thought I was dying Thursday night. There is chance I have this piece of shit right here:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... ainContent

I guess that's why my blood pressure bottoms out in the squat rack.

To make it happen, I had to do a pretty heavy leg day, though. I did 11 sets on the leg press, pyramid, with my top three working sets at 540 lbs. Then I did kettlebell thrusters to failure. 540 might not be a lot for some dudes, but I can't really go much higher without major stress on my bones. Last I tried 630 it felt like my bones were stressed.

I have always had trouble with low blood pressure and heart palpitations, though. In the 90s the Air Force suspected it in tech school and put this monitor on me, but all the leads fell off from the marching in heat, so I doubt they got any viable data.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 am

The weird thing was that I wasn't really afraid of dying, just judgment. And the good news is that it doesn't seem like a terrible way to go at all. I just got so dizzy that I couldn't stand or walk, and started to fade out. If you have to go, that's not such a terrible experience. Better than lung cancer or bleeding out in a car crash.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am

That sucks.

I had a good friend who wanted to join the military but he had heart arrhythmia. He even went in for a surgery that was supposed to fix it but nothing changed. He never got to join, but he’s still alive, so the story isn’t a total bummer.

One of my biggest fears is being that 40-something dude that looks fine but drops dead on his run. With Keto I sometimes feel both arms tingling while running (like a light version of your foot falling asleep) and I immediately hear Red Fox in my head saying “Oh! It’s the big one!”
:?
But what am I going to do? Not exercise?
Bah.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah, I am about to run right now.

And it is not like my blood pressure is high. It is actually in the athlete range when it is not dropping to low.

I think if I have it, I just can't do very heavy leg exercises and avoid running too fast.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 am

The tingling mighit be neurological.

Is your blood pressure high?

Keto should be fine for a runner. I wouldn't do strength training like that, since you will be much weaker and make gains much more slowly.

If I am going to do any weird fad diet that limits an entire macro, I'd go with Atkins anyway. Just eating a lot of protein is thermogenic. But limiting carbs so low that you run out of glycogen is a recipe for strength training failure.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am

Blood pressure was borderline high before Keto. Normal when doing Keto. I think it’s just a weird side effect of the diet, since it’s not accompanied by shortness of breath or chest pains. But I also slow down when it hits, just in case.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am

DBTrek wrote:Blood pressure was borderline high before Keto. Normal when doing Keto. I think it’s just a weird side effect of the diet, since it’s not accompanied by shortness of breath or chest pains. But I also slow down when it hits, just in case.

Losing fat should help. Running should definitely lower your blood pressure after about six months or so.

If your circulation is affected, I wonder if you should be able to see your hands getting whitish. If your hands are still filled with blood, I'd guess it's neurological.

Just cutting carbs isn't going to lower your blood pressure. Cutting fat does that. So does exercise.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:54 am

Well - I also rated borderline high blood pressure on the local supermarket blood pressure machine, but had it taken by a doctor while on Keto. So it’s possible the machine at the supermarket is telling lies.

I’ll check the hands next time. Sometimes I think I might be unconsciously clenching my fists or something while running and causing it that way.

We’ve got a strain of pulmonary embolisms from blood clots in the legs in my family, too many desk jockeys sitting themselves to death - so I figure gambling with regular runs is safer than squatting a chair all the time.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am

DBTrek wrote:Well - I also rated borderline high blood pressure on the local supermarket blood pressure machine, but had it taken by a doctor while on Keto. So it’s possible the machine at the supermarket is telling lies.

I’ll check the hands next time. Sometimes I think I might be unconsciously clenching my fists or something while running and causing it that way.

We’ve got a strain of pulmonary embolisms from blood clots in the legs in my family, too many desk jockeys sitting themselves to death - so I figure gambling with regular runs is safer than squatting a chair all the time.

It changes all the time. You should get a blood pressure monitor at the drug store and test yourself throughout the day. Doing it in the morning before you even sit up is a good way to find a baseline. That should be your lowest reading. It will also give you the best estimate for your resting heart rate.

I don't think pre-hypertension would be something you notice outside of an occasional shortness of breath. Also, if something weird happens, that thing can help a lot with the doctor. Thursday night, after I was able to walk and move around, I was using it to watch my blood pressure come back up. Took photos on my phone while I was chatting on here. :dance: