The Bowling Thread

brewster

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by brewster » Sun May 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:24 pm
Have you tried Fischer's idea of semi-randomizing the first rows?
Never heard of it before now. Just read the wiki on it, sounds interesting, I definitely agree with the sentiment. Unclear how you go about the randomization, other than an app for the purpose.

As far as I can tell the appeal of algorithmic games is the same as timed athletic sports, pure numbers base achievement, the thrill of victory by number to replace the thrill of the successful hunt or battle. But shockingly boring unless you're drinking or on a track team or such. Could you imagine how boring pool would be if it was the same shot time after time? An entire match of shooting a ball off the spot into the corner pocket. Ugh.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm
Sun May 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Is there a more soul-crushing place than a bowling alley?
Nope. People leave a sterile workplace where they do they same thing time after time, to go to a large sterile room where they do the same thing time after time.

Back in the infant days of videogames I notice there were 2 types of games and gamers. One type liked algorithmic games, memorizing patterns and accurately reproducing them for the given circumstances. Space Invaders was an archetype of this. Do this, then that, then this, then that. Push the button at the exact right time. The other type was fluid improvisation of your circumstances, never repeating. Asteroids. And for us in the latter camp, there's pool (game of the gods) instead of bowling or darts.

Interestingly, Chess involves both these forms, openings and endgames are algorithmic and good play involves memorizing patterns, but midgame is all improv. I suck at the former. I always wanted to learn GO, I think it would play to my strengths.
You’re probably going to the corporate shitholes like BowlMor. Find an old school place with nicotine stains on the ceiling. There are stil a few around, and they’re fantastic.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm
Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Work.
Nah. You still find men at most workplaces who have not completely given up and let themselves go.
When you work in a place that has over 50K employees, and 90% of them are socalist... I'm a rarity.

A bowling alley is only soul-crushing if you let it be. A workplace like mine... yeah. Not exactly a place where testosterone is accepted.
I have the same sort of workplace. Mostly millennial retards that cycle in and out of the place. They fire at least one every week.

When something needs done, they come to me.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm
Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Nah. You still find men at most workplaces who have not completely given up and let themselves go.
When you work in a place that has over 50K employees, and 90% of them are socalist... I'm a rarity.

A bowling alley is only soul-crushing if you let it be. A workplace like mine... yeah. Not exactly a place where testosterone is accepted.
I have the same sort of workplace. Mostly millennial retards that cycle in and out of the place. They fire at least one every week.

When something needs done, they come to me.
Yup, so for me a bad day of bowling is better than a good day at work.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Finally got to go bowling again and it felt great. Turns out 3 months off was good for my game.

Didn’t notice any changes in procedure or anything, but it wasn’t league night. Felt so good to do ‘normal’ again.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm
Finally got to go bowling again and it felt great. Turns out 3 months off was good for my game.

Didn’t notice any changes in procedure or anything, but it wasn’t league night. Felt so good to do ‘normal’ again.
I'm still not ready to take any chances.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm still not ready to take any chances.
I’ve pretty much accepted that we’re all going to get it. I won’t be in a stadium full of people any time soon tho.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm

I think smokers like us should try really hard to not catch it.
Was it very busy in there?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I think smokers like us should try really hard to not catch it.
Was it very busy in there?
Meh. Can’t live in a cave forever, just in case.

It wasn’t crowded. Usual Tuesday night crowd I guess. Maybe a dozen total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace