The Bowling Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Well, many things have changed, over the past few months. I started the summer with a 109 average, now hovering around 140. I've figured a lot of things out, recently. One of them being that my ball was never fitted correctly. I'm having it plugged and redrilled over the weekend, to increase the span. I'm hoping to get my first 200 this week, if it works out. :)

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Dude find old clips of the Pro Bowlers Tour Mark Roth vs Marshall Holman. Look up Earl Anthony and Bo Burton jr. Those clowns on the current tour couldn’t hold a candle to the legends.

I hate to admit this but I was varsity in bowling from 85-89. 212 average was my high watermark. :ugeek:
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Parker Bohn III had the smoothest stroke of any lefty. Amleto Monacelli introduced the cranker era.

212 is pretty damned good. How many 800's do you have? 205 was my best league average as a house bowler.

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Haumana wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:06 pm
Parker Bohn III had the smoothest stroke of any lefty. Amleto Monacelli introduced the cranker era.

212 is pretty damned good. How many 800's do you have? 205 was my best league average as a house bowler.

9 confirmed 800’s, 11 299’s. Never a perfect game. It was way too expensive being drunk and stoned prior to bowling in cash leagues. Retired from bowling after developing carpal tunnel syndrome even with a scorpion brace.

Used a soft and hard shell Pirana’s and picked up any old alley ball for my 10-pin spares.

Although I’m a lefty I bowl righty. I was so jealous on how graceful Parker and his kind could ride the rails. I had more of a Marshal Holman 5 step glide.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm
Well, many things have changed, over the past few months. I started the summer with a 109 average, now hovering around 140. I've figured a lot of things out, recently. One of them being that my ball was never fitted correctly. I'm having it plugged and redrilled over the weekend, to increase the span. I'm hoping to get my first 200 this week, if it works out. :)

Remember a bowling ball is like a woman. Use rosin for a tighter grip, talcum to loosen her up. Roll her around an she’ll always come back for more.

I think I cracked that joke when BjornP was sexualizing every sport under the sun. :lol:
HarryK

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 pm

I rolled a 246 last week, 642 series. Out of freakin' nowhere. Previous highs were 210 and 513.

I just changed my timing a little, and everything clicked. It's like a whole new game now. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 pm
I rolled a 246 last week, 642 series. Out of freakin' nowhere. Previous highs were 210 and 513.

I just changed my timing a little, and everything clicked. It's like a whole new game now. :)

With the new bowling balls that store much more force versus the old days a 3/4’s swing will generate more than enough power. It’s all about rhythm and tracking where it hits the pocket. Your follow through and arm extension never lies.

Don’t worry about score per se (although I think you earned a couple of patches if you in a sanctioned league). As for the shoes, don’t be afraid to shorten your steps. The momentum will always create a slide.

I really can’t believe I’m talking about bowling. :oops:
HarryK

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 pm

HarryK wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm
Haumana wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:06 pm

9 confirmed 800’s, 11 299’s. Never a perfect game. It was way too expensive being drunk and stoned prior to bowling in cash leagues. Retired from bowling after developing carpal tunnel syndrome even with a scorpion brace.

Used a soft and hard shell Pirana’s and picked up any old alley ball for my 10-pin spares.

Although I’m a lefty I bowl righty. I was so jealous on how graceful Parker and his kind could ride the rails. I had more of a Marshal Holman 5 step glide.
Wow. I have a 299, a 300 and a 786. A stone solid 8 cost me my one chance at an 800. 9 is impressive, truly. I had the scorpion brace too. I bowled the 300 with a blue nuke. Resins just started to enter the fray when I was on my way out. Marriage and a kid put a damper on that kind of discretionary spending.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 pm

HarryK wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 pm

With the new bowling balls that store much more force versus the old days a 3/4’s swing will generate more than enough power. It’s all about rhythm and tracking where it hits the pocket. Your follow through and arm extension never lies.

Don’t worry about score per se (although I think you earned a couple of patches if you in a sanctioned league). As for the shoes, don’t be afraid to shorten your steps. The momentum will always create a slide.

I really can’t believe I’m talking about bowling. :oops:
HAHA! Yeah. I was always more of a closed frame bowler. I wanted to be good at collecting spares at the very least. Strikes will come but if you hit all your spares you can average around 180 easy.

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:16 am

Wow. I have a 299, a 300 and a 786. A stone solid 8 cost me my one chance at an 800. 9 is impressive, truly. I had the scorpion brace too. I bowled the 300 with a blue nuke. Resins just started to enter the fray when I was on my way out. Marriage and a kid put a damper on that kind of discretionary spending.

I was in a bowling league since I was 9 or 10 y.o. It was something that got me out of the house, instead of wasting my days watching cartoons. Also my grandfather (mother’s) was and avid bowler (I think he topped out at 180) an we’d opened bowled a lot. Whenever I did tournaments (single or team) he was there for encouragement and kept score (no computer scoring in ye old days).

Then at 3:30 pm was the Pro Bowlers Tour. For 90 minutes watching the pro’s duke it out for like 20k and if you rolled a 300 Pennzoil would kick in another 10k. And if you thought golf was uppity, the PBA was even more stringent.

Mark Roth is the only person I can recall making the 7-10 split live on TV. He was the cranker before Montechelli. I modeled my game after Butch Sopher a 2-time champ that used no loft and started the roll just before the line. I threw a tight spin, but still was a “down and in bowler” compared to the big hooks that would dominate post urethane. The Blue Nuke, and the Red Earthquake were very popular. So was the Hammer and the Nail. I went with the Orange Piranha on oily conditions and the Jade Piranha for dry.

HS bowling was no joke. The coach was their to keep an eye on us. He didn’t really provide any instruction. As a freshman I was intimidated by the seniors. I became first alternate for varsity and earned my spot permanently with an 819 series and shot a 299 single. And you had to be on your “A game” every practice or you’ll get demoted to JV.

My cousin had a lower average than me, but had 6 300 games. That dude had a hard snaphook the devastated the rack. But if he was off a tad either way Greek church city.

So it was a family thing to do something during winter. Plus got to hang out with Grandpa, and if I wanted to play poker or learn how to bet on the ponies it would be grandma. She’s the one who inspired me to play Texas Hold’em.
HarryK