The Bowling Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:38 pm

A bowling league sounds like fun, actually. But so would a D&D game night be fun if it were just Gen X players who actually know how to play the game.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
They got all new house shoes a few weeks ago, a whole supply of new balls, changed all the seating from stackable chairs to wooden benches and modern swing chairs. It's really nice to see new things every time I go.

Yeah, the reactive coverstock is a whole different game from the old plastic and urethane stuff. (Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I've been doing my homework on the game for a few weeks now.) I have a friend that can curve the house balls, but that's pretty rare. The new stuff can grip a lot harder, and skids better on the oil.

Apparently, it's changed the pro game quite a bit. They've all changed their releases from a 'lift' motion, to a kind of cocked-twist at the end. I'm still trying to figure out which one works for me.

Oh, and I'm a righty.
I can curve a house ball. Rare in the fact that anybody who bowls semi seriously wouldn't be tossing a house ball. ;)

I had a couple of the earlier resins. I haven't watched the PBA in quite a few years it used to be a pre Sunday nap ritual for me. LOL

Do you know the oil pattern where you bowl? If not, try to get there a bit early for league and talk to the mechanic. They are almost always up for a chat while they oil the lanes.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A bowling league sounds like fun, actually. But so would a D&D game night be fun if it were just Gen X players who actually know how to play the game.
I played Busch League pool in bars for a decade. It was a lot of fun, like a drinking man's tour of lower Manhattan. Some were gritty old-time bars like our home bar, some were virtually nightclubs with pool tables.

You can learn a bit about yourself in this kind of setting. If you're choking under pressure shooting at the 8-ball in a bar with no real stakes other than a trophy and not letting down your teammates, what are you doing in the rest of your life?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A bowling league sounds like fun, actually. But so would a D&D game night be fun if it were just Gen X players who actually know how to play the game.
My neighbor actually tried to start a game once, but it was kind of awkward and sad, sitting with some 40 year old dudes, giggling about elf attack modifiers and such. Can’t go back.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:51 pm

This movie was so awesome.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Consistency at last! My average seems to have settled into the 120-130 range, with a steady performance right around there.

My right ankle has been hurting
Incredibly for 2 weeks now. Top, bottom, sides, all of it. I know it’s from using it differently, but I’m getting frustrated waiting for it to heal.

One of the league bowlers rolled TWO consecutive 300 games tonight - 26 strikes in a row. Unbelievable.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

:hand: This is the most shocking discovery from my month long absence. But I'm not sure what shocks me more, that we have a Bowling Thread or that it already has 6 pages.

:snooty: I just can't leave you alone anymore.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 pm

C-Mag wrote::hand: This is the most shocking discovery from my month long absence. But I'm not sure what shocks me more, that we have a Bowling Thread or that it already has 6 pages.

Do you even roll bro?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote::hand: This is the most shocking discovery from my month long absence. But I'm not sure what shocks me more, that we have a Bowling Thread or that it already has 6 pages.

Do you even roll bro?
Only when my loser friends lure me there with promises of pitchers and greazy food.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Ugh... serious consistency issues, continue to plague me.

I sprained/fractured some part of my ankle a few weeks ago, and have been toughing through it, so I know that's part of the problem. It's just about healed now.

A bigger issue is my left knee. I haven't found a good pair of sliding shoes yet, as I tend to slide flat footed. I ordered some this week, with interchangeable heels, so that should be fixable now. However, my left knee is developing some real tenderness. I went to the doc today, and she thinks it may be arthritis (wtf).

Since that's been hurting, I've been positioned wrong on nearly every throw. It's really discouraging that I can't find a way to slide properly, or adapt my release to compensate.

On the upside, I just won a free bowling ball in the weekly drawing on bowlingboards.com. Great site there, for anyone that's interested in learning the game.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace