The Bowling Thread

Haumana

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by Haumana » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Not 100% sure about the lanes, but I’m pretty sure they’re wood. It doesn’t look like plastic, and it’s a pretty ancient alley.

I do place my feet according to the dots, but I don’t have any kind of system, other than gauging how far away to stand. I know that I need a lot of runway, so I’m usually at the back right, as I’m going for a “stroker” style. I’ve added a lot of consistency, just by aiming down the gutter.

Haven’t tried the 5-step yet, but it’s something I’ll do next practice.
Once you get some consistency going you can use those boards to gauge your spares. 1 board to the right= 2 to the right at the pins is a general truism for a typical down and in type bowler. Wood is much more conducive for a slide than synthetic lanes.

5 step is what most of the pros use, which is why I adopted it. That first step is just a chance to develop a consistent rhythm without having to worry about an action. 2nd step is the start of the downswing. Where do you focus your eyes on the lane? I used to look about 2 feet through the arrows.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Not 100% sure about the lanes, but I’m pretty sure they’re wood. It doesn’t look like plastic, and it’s a pretty ancient alley.

I do place my feet according to the dots, but I don’t have any kind of system, other than gauging how far away to stand. I know that I need a lot of runway, so I’m usually at the back right, as I’m going for a “stroker” style. I’ve added a lot of consistency, just by aiming down the gutter.

Haven’t tried the 5-step yet, but it’s something I’ll do next practice.
Once you get some consistency going you can use those boards to gauge your spares. 1 board to the right= 2 to the right at the pins is a general truism for a typical down and in type bowler. Wood is much more conducive for a slide than synthetic lanes.

5 step is what most of the pros use, which is why I adopted it. That first step is just a chance to develop a consistent rhythm without having to worry about an action. 2nd step is the start of the downswing. Where do you focus your eyes on the lane? I used to look about 2 feet through the arrows.
I’m still looking at the foul line more than I should, as I don’t have a good rhythm yet. I’ve actually fouled once each of the last 2 sessions. Kind of embarrassing.

When I was bowling straight though, I’d always look at the arrows. I need to get back to that.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:20 am

Speaker to Animals wrote: you get all kinds of pain and problems. Trust me. That's the deep hole of pain I am climbing out of. That's not age.
i've been learning a lot about pain recently.... (most shrinks don''t learn anything about pain).

Basically two patterns I've encountered.

The first is avoidance... where you avoid all activity and overprotect the pain out of fear... leading to weakness and deconditioning... increasing the risk of reinjury... and maintaining a form of "ghost pain" that doesn't get better.

Then there is the opposite.... denial... where you continue to do the activity despite pain... without changing it, expecting the pain to go away on it's own and in this way not allowing the injury to heal.... leading to chronic pain.

Ideally we pay attention to the pain... and learn the lesson it is teaching us.... but don't give up on our bodies all together....
Get back on the horse... but not in exactly the same way we fell off in the first place... i.e. Learn from our mistakes.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:48 pm

The kid gets hot, and rolls a 175!! New High Score.

Then a couple of 100s. :(

Upside, I did figure out why my right leg hurts. I am pushing off with my foot sideways, because I can’t (fucking goddamn) slide.

Considering a slide sock, or going back to house shoes at this point.

Edit: bought an attachable sole that’s supposed to fix it.
I bowled 6 strikes in that game. I’m realizing how much higher I’d have been, with some better spare shooting.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 pm

You have to learn to bowl under pressure.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:The kid gets hot, and rolls a 175!! New High Score.

Upside, I did figure out why my right leg hurts. I am pushing off with my foot sideways, because I can’t (fucking goddamn) slide.

I bowled 6 strikes in that game. I’m realizing how much higher I’d have been, with some better spare shooting.
Nice. Were you able to string any of those strikes? Spares are where it is at right now. All spares will get you into the 150 average range. So your shoes have velcro soles? I had the SST IV's which came with like 4 different textured soles. Have you tried E-Z slide yet? They should sell it in the pro shop or vending machine.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 am

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:The kid gets hot, and rolls a 175!! New High Score.

Nice. Were you able to string any of those strikes? Spares are where it is at right now. All spares will get you into the 150 average range. So your shoes have velcro soles? I had the SST IV's which came with like 4 different textured soles. Have you tried E-Z slide yet? They should sell it in the pro shop or vending machine.
Yeah, here’s the score (and how incredibly inconsistent I am):

07 X X 70 90 X X X X 60

Started the game with a gutter ball, and never hit a spare :lol: if I hit that one (fucking) pin in the 5th... ugh

Yeah, my shoes are a microfiber bottom (Dexter Turbo IIs). I’ve been scraping the hell out of it with a wire brush, and dumping baby powder and ez-slide on it. No major effect.
So last night, I ordered a replacement sole that’s supposed to work really well for synthetic approaches - which is the only remaining explanation. I’ve only bowled at the one center, so I don’t know if they’d work better elsewhere.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 am

I've always liked bowls. Like curling on grass if you've never seen it. I'm getting closer every day to the right age to play it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 am

Montegriffo wrote:I've always liked bowls. Like curling on grass if you've never seen it. I'm getting closer every day to the right age to play it.
Wow lol

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 am

Not played much. The bowls are weighted on one side so they curve as in curling. Every town and many villages have a bowling green around here. Very middle class, middle aged, white guy pastime.
Of course you have to avoid the marauding Muslim invaders while you play...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.