Now it’s an official bowling thread.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Great progress has been made. I put in 2 days of practice this week, and rolled a 138 tonight in league play. That's a 35-pin improvement in 1 week, throwing the curve, and I'm only 15 from my former high score with a straight ball. It can be done!

Remaining issues are my (goddamn fuckin') shoes still not sliding much, despite wire brushing, and constant application of slide powder. Also, I'm still not consistent, but it's getting better. Trying to talk myself into better shoes, not sure what to get. I really like the fit of these, but I'm losing hope that the left one will really start sliding.

The 2nd place team that we beat a few weeks ago is still bitching and trying to start a feud. I continue to ignore them, but it's rather annoying.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Are your gluteus medius muscles healed yet?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Great progress has been made. I put in 2 days of practice this week, and rolled a 138 tonight in league play. That's a 35-pin improvement in 1 week, throwing the curve, and I'm only 15 from my former high score with a straight ball. It can be done!

Remaining issues are my (goddamn fuckin') shoes still not sliding much, despite wire brushing, and constant application of slide powder. Also, I'm still not consistent, but it's getting better. Trying to talk myself into better shoes, not sure what to get. I really like the fit of these, but I'm losing hope that the left one will really start sliding.

The 2nd place team that we beat a few weeks ago is still bitching and trying to start a feud. I continue to ignore them, but it's rather annoying.
Are you utilizing a 4 step or 5 step approach? Are you bowling on synthetic lanes or wood?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Great progress has been made. I put in 2 days of practice this week, and rolled a 138 tonight in league play. That's a 35-pin improvement in 1 week, throwing the curve, and I'm only 15 from my former high score with a straight ball. It can be done!

Are you utilizing a 4 step or 5 step approach? Are you bowling on synthetic lanes or wood?
I've always used a 3-step until I joined the league. Been using a 4-step for a month now. It's a big part of my inconsistency.

My biggest problem is still 'muscling' the ball. I want to throw it at the pins, rather than roll it. :)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Are your gluteus medius muscles healed yet?
A little sore occasionally, right at the top of my hip bone, but otherwise I'm good. My leg is pretty worn out from the not-sliding shoes, and my right ankle hurts (no idea why).

I hate getting old.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Are your gluteus medius muscles healed yet?
A little sore occasionally, right at the top of my hip bone, but otherwise I'm good. My leg is pretty worn out from the not-sliding shoes, and my right ankle hurts (no idea why).

I hate getting old.

Right ankle hurts probably because of tendinitis. The gluteus medius hurts because you injured it, possibly because either it is too short and inflexible, or it's too weak, or even both.

Do those weird exercises Jeff Cavalier was talking about, get with some stretches, and when the pain is gone, consider squats three days per week. If you squat, think about that Rippetoe method (low bar squat), since it specializes on hip drive to build your entire lateral chain, including those three glute muscles.

People constantly assign to "getting old" what is really letting themselves go. When your muscles atrophy and shorten, you get all kinds of pain and problems. Trust me. That's the deep hole of pain I am climbing out of. That's not age.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote: I've always used a 3-step until I joined the league. Been using a 4-step for a month now. It's a big part of my inconsistency.

My biggest problem is still 'muscling' the ball. I want to throw it at the pins, rather than roll it. :)

Try 5 step in practice. It will feel very weird to do nothing on the first step but it was the single biggest improvement I made to my game when I was a hot and heavy bowler.

Do you aim at the arrows and use the dots on the approach for feet placement? Wood or synthetic lanes?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote: I've always used a 3-step until I joined the league. Been using a 4-step for a month now. It's a big part of my inconsistency.

Try 5 step in practice. It will feel very weird to do nothing on the first step but it was the single biggest improvement I made to my game when I was a hot and heavy bowler.

Do you aim at the arrows and use the dots on the approach for feet placement? Wood or synthetic lanes?
Not 100% sure about the lanes, but I’m pretty sure they’re wood. It doesn’t look like plastic, and it’s a pretty ancient alley.

I do place my feet according to the dots, but I don’t have any kind of system, other than gauging how far away to stand. I know that I need a lot of runway, so I’m usually at the back right, as I’m going for a “stroker” style. I’ve added a lot of consistency, just by aiming down the gutter.

Haven’t tried the 5-step yet, but it’s something I’ll do next practice.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace