The Bowling Thread

SuburbanFarmer

The Bowling Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Well, I was never much of a bowler, and didn’t play for 10 years or so, but a friend invited me to join his league team about a month ago. Now I’m hooked.

It started out pretty horribly - the very first practice frame, I lunges forward and planted my feet, throwing out my back completely. I lied on some chairs for another hour, and then pumped out. My new teammates were not impressed.

2 weeks later, I came back, and it got better. I rolled a house ball, and got a high score of 150. Teammates were confused, but happy. We had a great time, and made friends.

I then purchased my very first bowling ball and shoes, got a fingertip fitting, and attempted to bowl the same. Now I’m stinking it up in the low 100s. Teammates are again confused, but we had fun.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Have you considered performance enhancing drugs?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Did you go red rose or white rose?

Or black?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Well, I was never much of a bowler, and didn’t play for 10 years or so, but a friend invited me to join his league team about a month ago. Now I’m hooked.

It started out pretty horribly - the very first practice frame, I lunges forward and planted my feet, throwing out my back completely. I lied on some chairs for another hour, and then pumped out. My new teammates were not impressed.

2 weeks later, I came back, and it got better. I rolled a house ball, and got a high score of 150. Teammates were confused, but happy. We had a great time, and made friends.

I then purchased my very first bowling ball and shoes, got a fingertip fitting, and attempted to bowl the same. Now I’m stinking it up in the low 100s. Teammates are again confused, but we had fun.
I used to bowl a lot. Focus on spares to begin with and learn to throw the ball pretty much straight. That will get you into the 150-170 average. Are you throwing with a curve yet?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

I drank some beers, yeah. :lol:

So, I've been researching the shit out of this on the internet, and it turns out that my issues are many, but fixable. My new bowling shoes need to be 'dusted', in order to slide properly. Apparently, this was once done with either cigarette ashes, or dirt, but I'll try some baby powder. :)

Also, my ball speed is approximately "way the fuck too high" to throw a proper curve.

Third, my thumb hole is probably a bit loose, because I'm gripping the ball pretty hard when I release it. Got some bowling tape in the mail, which should hopefully fix this.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Well, I was never much of a bowler, and didn’t play for 10 years or so, but a friend invited me to join his league team about a month ago. Now I’m hooked.

I used to bowl a lot. Focus on spares to begin with and learn to throw the ball pretty much straight. That will get you into the 150-170 average. Are you throwing with a curve yet?
I can hit a 150 straight, never thrown a curve before - probably related to throwing it WAY too hard. That's what I'm trying to learn now.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I drank some beers, yeah. :lol:

So, I've been researching the shit out of this on the internet, and it turns out that my issues are many, but fixable. My new bowling shoes need to be 'dusted', in order to slide properly. Apparently, this was once done with either cigarette ashes, or dirt, but I'll try some baby powder. :)

Also, my ball speed is approximately "way the fuck too high" to throw a proper curve.

Third, my thumb hole is probably a bit loose, because I'm gripping the ball pretty hard when I release it. Got some bowling tape in the mail, which should hopefully fix this.
Watch the baby powder. Nothing quite like falling on your ass on league night. What kind of bowling shoes did you settle on? A wire brush is best to keep the sliding sole in proper form.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I drank some beers, yeah. :lol:

Watch the baby powder. Nothing quite like falling on your ass on league night. What kind of bowling shoes did you settle on? A wire brush is best to keep the sliding sole in proper form.
I got the Dexter Turbo IIs - one of the few models that come in a wide-sole size.

I heard the wire brush thing, but I don't know what effect that could have on a felt sole... might brush the fibers straight, but would that even matter?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm

I was on a bowling league many years ago, but it was a drinking league, mostly.

So my average was 135~ish - first game was usually around 125, than 2nd game would be 150-170 and third game (numerous beers later,) would often be below 100.

:lol:
Account abandoned.