Cyclical or Spiral Upwards

DrYouth

Re: Cyclical or Spiral Upwards

Post by DrYouth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 am

GloryofGreece wrote:The more I think about it and read different civilizations the more I see it as a cycle. And nature in my opinion is very cyclical. You can argue about definitions and word choice etc. but essentially there are archetypal patterns governing human behavior and civilizational "seasons".
I find this idea interesting...

Which is why I was disappointed that Darryl Cooper dropped his Decline of the West podcast.

One of these days I'll have to follow up his reading recommendations.

Human behaviour is certainly governed by archetypal behaviour.... these are the lineages of our instincts and impulses that run evolutionarily in our DNA and form the basis of religious intuitions...
From ancestral and nature based shamanism, through polytheism and into monotheism... the archetypes have been present in the cultural narratives of the time. They show up in our dreams, artwork and fairy tales.

And in our politics... they are in the strains of ideology present all around us.

How will they play out... I don't believe we can know that... perhaps repeating a cycle, perhaps transcending it....

Looking forward to finding out.
Last edited by DrYouth on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:To wit: had the Nazis won the war, most of you would still proclaim that "history bends towards justice".
Do you think people have a conscious in the sense that you know when something is right or wrong / good or evil for the most part? I think most people do but they often choose to ignore it usually do to either greed or fear.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:To wit: had the Nazis won the war, most of you would still proclaim that "history bends towards justice".
Do you think people have a conscious in the sense that you know when something is right or wrong / good or evil for the most part? I think most people do but they often choose to ignore it usually do to either greed or fear.
No, I don't agree. Read my book, "Philosophy of an Old Cyber-Cowboy."

p.s. If you did read my book, you would be the first person on this forum to do so but it still makes me the expert because I have a book.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 am

GloryofGreece wrote:

If you ask me as a Catholic, I would have to say yes, sort of, but if you ask me based on my own personal experience and practical human nature, definitely no. Most humans lack a conscience. They are just normies.

Most people's conscience is really just social sensibilities at best and, at the most rudimentary level, is a product of fear of consequences.

I think only a small fraction of humanity actually develop a true conscience, which I guess would correspond to the religious notion of an elect, though I don't think it is limited to any particular religion. Men with true consciences seem mysterious to men who operate only under social pressures, and outright stupid to men who reject conscience altogether and just accept their base nature for what it is. It's sort of like a Forest Gump effect.