How I Brainwashed My Dad and made him compliant

C-Mag

How I Brainwashed My Dad and made him compliant

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Has anyone seen The Brainwashing of My Dad (2015) ? It's an extremely unbalanced 'documentary' by a woman who saw her dad as flawed, angry and difficult. Here is a brief trailer, it will give you the feel of it.

I watched this by accident. This old WWII vet chose conservative news outlets. And he had problems with things in this country and voiced his issues. So the old timer gets sent to a hospital, sounds like a stroke. While he is gone, his wife and kid change his news sources on his computer and tv. He becomes compliant and easy to be around. To me, the daughter and wife brainwashed the old timer........... though it is presented as him being saved by them.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Re: How I Brainwashed My Dad and made him compliant

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Heard of this. Basically he was doing FOX news and Rush Limbaugh and getting angry. Then they switched him to msnbc (during the Obama years) and NPR and he overdosed on blue pills.

Just goes to show that being aware of things can make you angry.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 pm

He had a stroke! Of course he was fucking compliant. Jesus.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Heard of this. Basically he was doing FOX news and Rush Limbaugh and getting angry. Then they switched him to msnbc (during the Obama years) and NPR and he overdosed on blue pills.

Just goes to show that being aware of things can make you angry.
That is how it's presented in the film. But it is extremely slanted. Everything Not Progressive is Bad in this film. So it's hard to say if it is presented accurately. It would have been nice if they had examined influencing tools of all news channels, not just FOX.

I wouldn't pay to see this thing, but if you can find it free, the brainwashing techniques used to influence you that FOX and Limbaugh are evil makes it worthwhile.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Martin Hash wrote:He had a stroke! Of course he was fucking compliant. Jesus.
They didn't say stroke, but looking at the footage and his facial movements after his hospital stay and it appears to be that he had a stroke.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 pm

A lot of tv uses repitive reception techniques. I had an image explaining exactly how the Daily Show and Colbert are perfect examples of this. Essentially "brain washing" or repetitive reception technique whatever you want to call it.

I doubt that would have been the effect if there was any other than the stroke bbecause it would be much simpler than that. If you are an OWG you are quite likely to get upset if the media is pointing out how fucked up things are. If you're only hearing people explain in reasonable terms how good things actually are and how fair it is that we are being demographically replaced by people that work very hard, then you will be much less worried about the state of things.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm

The recent 'This is a Banana' thing is one that comes to mind. Most news agencies employ different techniques.

One of the recent ones I've spotted, and I don't know if there is a name for it, but it goes like this.

Trump says something, either privately or publicly and much of the news immediately ties it to something negative, for instance 3rd World Shithole is = to racist.
PLATA O PLOMO

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Right. Adults are just not meant to take responsibility of their own lives and learning, so if someone persuades you to change your opinion, they are actually "brainwashing" you.

If the dad was that helpless, that mentally incapable of taking charge of his own thoughts, his own degree of being an informed citizen, his "brainwashing" is equal to raising children to share the same core values as yourself.

Seriously, stop the victimhood bullshit and start assuming that people are at least responsible for their own thoughts.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 pm

BjornP wrote:Right. Adults are just not meant to take responsibility of their own lives and learning, so if someone persuades you to change your opinion, they are actually "brainwashing" you.

If the dad was that helpless, that mentally incapable of taking charge of his own thoughts, his own degree of being an informed citizen, his "brainwashing" is equal to raising children to share the same core values as yourself.

Seriously, stop the victimhood bullshit and start assuming that people are at least responsible for their own thoughts.
Honestly, assuming people form opinions in a vacuum is very retarded

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Honestly, assuming people form opinions in a vacuum is very retarded
Not saying they do. Saying that being influenced by other people's input is not "brainwashing". You are still responsible for evaluating other people's input within your own mind.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.