Cool Hobbies/Interests/Whatever

brewster

Re: Cool Hobbies/Interests/Whatever

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

de officiis wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm
I remember building those kits! The SE-5 lasted quite awhile because it hung unmolested in one of our bedrooms. The P-40, OTOH, died almost immediately after it was finished because I tried to fly it with the wind-up rubber band that came with it. It crashed & broke on my first attempt.

But you’ll have to tell us more about your professional experience.🙂
Funny, my P-40 ended the same way, but it was a friend who wound it up and flew it across my room into the wall!

In my early 20's I started working in the NYC advertising industry, building models and special effects for commercials and ads. Even things as mundane as soap needed models, you didn't photograph a bar of Ivory, you had one made a foot long with a lacquer finish, sprayed it with glycerin to make it look wet, sat it on a tabletop and spent literally all day lighting it before taking the photo. I remember my jaw dropping when I learned one of my employers got $10k for a 2 foot model of a Gillette razor. 3d letters were cut by hand, this was before ubiquitous lasers or CNC machine tools. I made stuff like 6" square oat cereals and a 6" model of the Golden Gate Bridge. Predictably in retrospect, much of this industry was destroyed by digital machining and digital imagery. I ended up building mechanical stuff mostly for theater where it really has to happen.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm

First Flight
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm
I thought they were painted brown and gray for night sorties.
That may be...I don’t have a book with color variants, so I just followed the instructions...

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm
First Flight
That sucks. He really didn’t seem to have very good control after throttling down.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Kermit Weeks, who I assume must be a multimillionaire since he owns a gazillion historic aircraft, talks about his Mosquito...

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm

de officiis wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm
Kermit Weeks, who I assume must be a multimillionaire since he owns a gazillion historic aircraft, talks about his Mosquito...
Never heard of him before, but this is from Wiki "Inherited oil and gas royalties[4] provide Weeks with the funds, capital and resources to pursue the preservation of historic aircraft."
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 am

So, this year is the 20th Bungay Balls Up juggling convention.
I started it back in 1999 and it has taken place in the beautiful buttercup meadow every May since then.
To mark the occasion we are going to try to set a world record for the most people at once doing what is known as the Bungay trick. A trick involving spinning a ball on a 6' stick, balancing that on your face then juggling 3 clubs under it. A trick I learned early on and then showed others how to do.
You can see a bunch of us doing it out in the 'cups at around the two-minute mark in this vid'. (turn the volume on for a groovy soundtrack)

http://juggling.tv/483
(Very short clips of me doing some stuff with 2 basketballs at 6.17 and 14.01)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:47 am

brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm
de officiis wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm
I remember building those kits! The SE-5 lasted quite awhile because it hung unmolested in one of our bedrooms. The P-40, OTOH, died almost immediately after it was finished because I tried to fly it with the wind-up rubber band that came with it. It crashed & broke on my first attempt.

But you’ll have to tell us more about your professional experience.🙂
Funny, my P-40 ended the same way, but it was a friend who wound it up and flew it across my room into the wall!

In my early 20's I started working in the NYC advertising industry, building models and special effects for commercials and ads. Even things as mundane as soap needed models, you didn't photograph a bar of Ivory, you had one made a foot long with a lacquer finish, sprayed it with glycerin to make it look wet, sat it on a tabletop and spent literally all day lighting it before taking the photo. I remember my jaw dropping when I learned one of my employers got $10k for a 2 foot model of a Gillette razor. 3d letters were cut by hand, this was before ubiquitous lasers or CNC machine tools. I made stuff like 6" square oat cereals and a 6" model of the Golden Gate Bridge. Predictably in retrospect, much of this industry was destroyed by digital machining and digital imagery. I ended up building mechanical stuff mostly for theater where it really has to happen.
Sounds like it was a fun job while it lasted.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 am

brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm
de officiis wrote:
Never heard of him before, but this is from Wiki "Inherited oil and gas royalties[4] provide Weeks with the funds, capital and resources to pursue the preservation of historic aircraft."
If you're into old airplanes like me, you really should check out his channel...his collection is amazing, and he really goes through the planes and tries to explain everything.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 am

de officiis wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 am
brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm
de officiis wrote:
If you're into old airplanes like me, you really should check out his channel...his collection is amazing, and he really goes through the planes and tries to explain everything.
I'm not an "active geek" like I was as a kid, but still retain a soft spot. Kids today don't get it, when I took my son to the Intrepid I was speechless, he thought it was OK. Recently I rewatched Catch-22, the opening sequence of a B-25 squadron taking off is so stunning! The should make a movie just about getting together every airworthy Mitchell on the planet for that film. The remake has only 2!

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/c ... dinia.html