Cool Hobbies/Interests/Whatever

Martin Hash

Re: Cool Hobbies/Interests/Whatever

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm

de officiis wrote:Don't think I will be applying glue to these anytime soon.
Rubber Cement comes right off. Your collection is quite impressive; it needs to be displayed.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 30, 2018 3:40 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Finally making some progress on my De Havilland Mosquito. Lots of fit and finish problems with this kit, but what do you expect with a Revell. :geek:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 pm

:clap:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Well, that takes me back to many hours of my boyhood. Did a few balsa and paper ones too. P-40 and SE-5 biplane that recall. But after being a professional modelmaker I wouldn't do it for fun. :(
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Nice. I've always liked the Mosquito. I had the Airfix version as a kid.

I sailed with a guy who flew, as a navigator, towards the end of the war in Mosquitoes.
He was posted to fly them in the Pacific theatre for the fleet air arm.
He really didn't like talking about the war but one of the things he did tell me was how much he loved the Mosquito compared to other planes he'd flown in. He felt invincible because of its speed.

A great man.

Went on to be a lighting architect after the war.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 pm

That’s really cool. Back when I was actively flying I kept the Cessna at a sod strip north of town. The owner flew tail gunner in a B-17 during the war. Hope I can do this model justice despite my decision not to go with the invasion stripes.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm
Well, that takes me back to many hours of my boyhood. Did a few balsa and paper ones too. P-40 and SE-5 biplane that recall. But after being a professional modelmaker I wouldn't do it for fun. :(
I remember building those kits! The SE-5 lasted quite awhile because it hung unmolested in one of our bedrooms. The P-40, OTOH, died almost immediately after it was finished because I tried to fly it with the wind-up rubber band that came with it. It crashed & broke on my first attempt.

But you’ll have to tell us more about your professional experience.🙂

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm

I thought they were painted brown and gray for night sorties.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 pm

He didn't even talk to his children about the war. His daughter is a close friend of mine and she didn't know this about him until it appeared in the tributes after his death.
On his 19th birthday in February 1942 he was called up to report to HMS St Vincent in Gosport where he served in the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy during World War II. Posted to Trinidad for training after only two months Derek and his best friend Tommy Morrison went up with an inexperienced pilot who lost control of the plane. They had to bail out and Derek was sadly the only one to survive. Posted back to the UK in 1943 he took up training to become part of the Navy’s first Night Fighting Squadron.
https://illumni.co/a-tribute-to-derek-phillips/