Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

heydaralon

Re: Do You Think You Are Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:53 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:What does being "informed" give to you? It seems it doesn't really increase agency in any significant way. The President, Congress, the Supreme Court, Fortune 500 companies etc. all will make their decision with or without you knowing about it. What do you do to influence the above?
You're right that it would make me a lot happier to 'tune out'. I've been thinking about this lately as well.

HOWEVER, without the constant stream of frightening/concerning news, I'd never have become motivated to start (small-scale) farming and prepping. My family is now more prepared for eventual chaos, whatever form it takes.

There are pro-active measures that you can take, based on the news. There are things that you can do to secure your future, and that of your loved ones.
I edited your title Greece with the you are instead of your. Now its having me quote you for some reason idk
Shikata ga nai

BjornP

Re: Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by BjornP » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:22 am

Quality post, heydalaron. +1
GloryofGreece wrote:What does being "informed" give to you? It seems it doesn't really increase agency in any significant way. The President, Congress, the Supreme Court, Fortune 500 companies etc. all will make their decision with or without you knowing about it. What do you do to influence the above?
I get the sense and would hazard a guess that the feeling of...resignation(?) you're talking about, has more to do with being alone with your state of being informed, and less to do with the information and knowledge you've acquired. Solution is then to increase average level of being informed among your fellow citizens.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves, and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Zlaxer

Re: Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by Zlaxer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:50 am

I stopped watching MSM (including fox) about a month ago as an experiment, I'm much happier - still informed....still pesimestic and cynical regarding average Joe americano's ability to self govern.....