Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:What does being "informed" give to you? It seems it doesn't really increase agency in any significant way. The President, Congress, the Supreme Court, Fortune 500 companies etc. all will make their decision with or without you knowing about it. What do you do to influence the above?
You're right that it would make me a lot happier to 'tune out'. I've been thinking about this lately as well.

HOWEVER, without the constant stream of frightening/concerning news, I'd never have become motivated to start (small-scale) farming and prepping. My family is now more prepared for eventual chaos, whatever form it takes.

There are pro-active measures that you can take, based on the news. There are things that you can do to secure your future, and that of your loved ones.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:52 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Specifically with "national" and international "news"? I think most posters here are at least in their late 20s,-50s. So in your 20+ years of life on this planet has knowing political and geopolitical news been helpful to you?

Couldn't a legitimate case be made that you'd be less neurotic / angry if you opted out of watching CNN/FOX/CBS/Drudge Report/Glen Beck/Michael Savage / whatever you read to get your news. And really, what had knowing about the NFL kneeling controversy, Trump's tweets, Regular NK threats, fear mongering, burning fire/spree shootings/ ISIS/ whatever the hell is on at the time done to make you a more stable well adjusted citizen?

In the end, why watch the news or read anything really about so called current events other than say the weather report for logistical decisions in your weekly planning? If I was less informed or totally uninformed I still would be a college graduate, have a career, go to work everyday, go home read or watch a show/movie, sleep...rinse, lather, repeat. Hell I've been steadily watching and reading less news since late 2013. Now I tune into take your pick "News" show or read Drudge or see a tweet etc. and follow up on reading an article about said event/topic and then go another month or so without really getting any "news".

I became aware of Trumps election victory watching the news for around 2 hour that night...other than that I haven't watched news live all year.
I live outside Charlottesville Virginia and didn't know about the "protest"/torch/whatever til two days later.
I found out about the Vegas shooting b/c it was a thread on another message board
I find out about something Trump tweeted or a NK threat for example again from a board message here or another forum.

Im thinking of signing off the two forums I currently read and post on. Seem's like again its negative overall and I waste time more than anything. I probably would be better off spending my time
shooting a bow, reading, hiking, sleeping, having sex, or at least watching a movie I'd really like potentially than spending another minute on the internet reading "news" or anything else really. I guess I'd go to some new consortium once a week to briefly scan for any significant news stories, i guess. But even then, why bother really? B/c the off chance someone at work will be like, "hey have you seen..." then i'd just be like no Joe I haven't tell me about it etc.

I have another friend that feels much the same as you do. I have to admit I've become an incredible news junkie since the primaries, fuck, two years ago. I've also become aware of a lot of other issues since then. I don't regret any of the things I've learned but I can tell it has its down sides when combined with an addictive personality and somewhat anti-social inclination to begin with.

I wouldn't bother watching any movies or television though. They are all poison these days. The last good one to be made that I'm aware of is Blade Runner. Read books, join a mannerbund like a Mason lodge. All things in moderation as an Epicurus would proscribe. Also, don't fuck around but please make white babies.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Also, I've been thinking that thanks to the 2016 election we might have a whole new young class of politically savy people. I'm hoping this will pan out. Before Trump there was Ron Paul but in between him and Pat Buchanan we haven't had a lot else to entertain ourselves with. Politics is almost like sports for people that have the inclination for it. I'm hoping it will become more of a past time for me and that I will continue to be politically aware as time goes on and Trump inevitably disapoints.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Specifically with "national" and international "news"? I think most posters here are at least in their late 20s,-50s. So in your 20+ years of life on this planet has knowing political and geopolitical news been helpful to you?

Couldn't a legitimate case be made that you'd be less neurotic / angry if you opted out of watching CNN/FOX/CBS/Drudge Report/Glen Beck/Michael Savage / whatever you read to get your news. And really, what had knowing about the NFL kneeling controversy, Trump's tweets, Regular NK threats, fear mongering, burning fire/spree shootings/ ISIS/ whatever the hell is on at the time done to make you a more stable well adjusted citizen?

In the end, why watch the news or read anything really about so called current events other than say the weather report for logistical decisions in your weekly planning? If I was less informed or totally uninformed I still would be a college graduate, have a career, go to work everyday, go home read or watch a show/movie, sleep...rinse, lather, repeat. Hell I've been steadily watching and reading less news since late 2013. Now I tune into take your pick "News" show or read Drudge or see a tweet etc. and follow up on reading an article about said event/topic and then go another month or so without really getting any "news".

I became aware of Trumps election victory watching the news for around 2 hour that night...other than that I haven't watched news live all year.
I live outside Charlottesville Virginia and didn't know about the "protest"/torch/whatever til two days later.
I found out about the Vegas shooting b/c it was a thread on another message board
I find out about something Trump tweeted or a NK threat for example again from a board message here or another forum.

Im thinking of signing off the two forums I currently read and post on. Seem's like again its negative overall and I waste time more than anything. I probably would be better off spending my time
shooting a bow, reading, hiking, sleeping, having sex, or at least watching a movie I'd really like potentially than spending another minute on the internet reading "news" or anything else really. I guess I'd go to some new consortium once a week to briefly scan for any significant news stories, i guess. But even then, why bother really? B/c the off chance someone at work will be like, "hey have you seen..." then i'd just be like no Joe I haven't tell me about it etc.

I have another friend that feels much the same as you do. I have to admit I've become an incredible news junkie since the primaries, fuck, two years ago. I've also become aware of a lot of other issues since then. I don't regret any of the things I've learned but I can tell it has its down sides when combined with an addictive personality and somewhat anti-social inclination to begin with.

I wouldn't bother watching any movies or television though. They are all poison these days. The last good one to be made that I'm aware of is Blade Runner. Read books, join a mannerbund like a Mason lodge. All things in moderation as an Epicurus would proscribe. Also, don't fuck around but please make white babies.
Teaching, having a real family in the near future, and living in a ranch like setting means less time for anything else. And I think that is a good thing at least for me.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:

Teaching, having a real family in the near future, and living in a ranch like setting means less time for anything else. And I think that is a good thing at least for me.
I’ve been going through this sort of thing as well, but like C-Mag, DBTrek, and GCF have said, keeping up on things allows you to see coming crises a lot more clearly than you otherwise would if you buried your head in the sand.

It sucks to get sucker punched, and at this point, it’s a disservice to your children and loved ones if you aren’t keeping watch in the guard tower. In the last two years, I’ve torn off the blindfold. Putting it back on, while it may provide a modicum of comfort, seems more like intellectual cowardice at this point.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Xenophon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:

I’ve been going through this sort of thing as well, but like C-Mag, DBTrek, and GCF have said, keeping up on things allows you to see coming crises a lot more clearly than you otherwise would if you buried your head in the sand.

It sucks to get sucker punched, and at this point, it’s a disservice to your children and loved ones if you aren’t keeping watch in the guard tower. In the last two years, I’ve torn off the blindfold. Putting it back on, while it may provide a modicum of comfort, seems more like intellectual cowardice at this point.
At no point until basically now did people have instant continual access to "information", news, world events etc. But everyone draws the line somewhere. You have to decide Im only going to check the news once a day, one hour a day, multiple times a day or once in a blue moon etc. Or never. Take for example someone on a farm circa 1950s. If he read the sunday paper and called it a day was he somehow intellectually cowardly? I think it obvious no he wasn't and likely many decent, normal, working folk didn't research the Soviet Union at all times or worried much about what Eisenhower was releasing to press much less what was going on in Cuba even let alone S.Korea or Japan etc. Though important shit was popping off all around the world everyday. If he didn't read the paper everyday he wouldn't know, or tune in for evening "news" (if he had a tv). Yet he continued on with his work, paying taxes, voting in local/state/national elections or not and generally doing his thing. Yet according to you he would have been doing himself and his family a disservice some how? Or in your opinion b/c its 2017 and I have the internet I owe to myself and my dignity to tune in...tune in for what exactly?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Teaching, having a real family in the near future, and living in a ranch like setting means less time for anything else. And I think that is a good thing at least for me.

At no point until basically now did people have instant continual access to "information", news, world events etc. But everyone draws the line somewhere. You have to decide Im only going to check the news once a day, one hour a day, multiple times a day or once in a blue moon etc. Or never. Take for example someone on a farm circa 1950s. If he read the sunday paper and called it a day was he somehow intellectually cowardly? I think it obvious no he wasn't and likely many decent, normal, working folk didn't research the Soviet Union at all times or worried much about what Eisenhower was releasing to press much less what was going on in Cuba even let alone S.Korea or Japan etc. Though important shit was popping off all around the world everyday. If he didn't read the paper everyday he wouldn't know, or tune in for evening "news" (if he had a tv). Yet he continued on with his work, paying taxes, voting in local/state/national elections or not and generally doing his thing. Yet according to you he would have been doing himself and his family a disservice some how? Or in your opinion b/c its 2017 and I have the internet I owe to myself and my dignity to tune in...tune in for what exactly?
If you want to withdraw, do your thing. Why care what I have to say? Dude in 1950 and Dude now is a lot different. You didn’t have to worry about demon trannies reading to your kids in the fifties.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 pm

GloryofGreece:

Good thread!

I have often wondered about this myself. I have come to the conclusion that we would all be happier if we did not follow politics and get outraged by everything that happens. It is a bit like yelling at a chair. Believe it or not, I have managed to reduce my ange somewhat in the last 2 years by consciously tuning out a lot of the media channels you just mentioned. Of course, my plan was shot to shit because like you, I learn about a lot of current events from being on here with all the other nutcases. In my opinion, it damn near impossible to put the shit back in the donkey's asshole. We would all be better off not getting so worked up about this stuff, but we all probably have the cynical and paradoxically idealistic personality types that see the flaws in the system yet want it to match whatever ideal one we have conjured in our minds. Since that is how we are all most likely wired, coupled with living in the rapid fire information age, we are stuck in a vicious loop of shitposting on MHF and becoming more and more enraged and disillusioned by the state of the world. I often make retarded posts and contribute very little of value to this community. Believe it or not, I do that for personal catharsis. The other option is just losing my shit every time the political party (or both) that I don't like does something fucked up. Since that is every day, I'd just be furious all the time. Other members have told me they also view this forum as cathartic, so I guess I'm not alone in that.

The main appeal of this forum for me is being able to talk with people who are generally smarter than I am. You can find dudes on here who have a great understanding of econ, military history, music, tv, religion, physics, and of course politics. I learn something new every time I log in. I view this forum as a resource, and I have found all sorts of awesome suggestions for books and articles in a wide range of topics I'm interested in. Almost like getting a free education. I talk to a few people on here outside of the forum, and I find those conversations to be highly entertaining and stimulating. If you are thinking about quitting, ask yourself, what reason do you stick around here in the first place? I would imagine that despite its warts, this community probably fills a void in your life, whether its finding info about history or current events, or being able to vent about shit that bugs you. If you can find a better outlet to meets these needs, then perhaps it would be more productive for you to leave. In my opinion, the group we have here is more lively and amusing than on places like reddit and facebook so I have stuck around. For the record, I think you have made some good threads about stuff I'm interested in, so I hope you decide to stay.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Yeah, this forum is definitely therapeutic for me. I need somewhere to vent and pick fights and learn things.

Regarding news, I get pretty much all of it from here or zero hedge. I can barely stand NPR anymore, as every other “story” is about social justice - race and rape. Politics make me insane, if I pay too much attention to it.

Mainly, I just want to be informed about what’s coming, as Xeno mentioned. I feel it’s my duty to the family to stick my head in the shit, and look for ways to minimize the effects on them.

My main areas of concern are Econ, and (of course) nuclear war. Other than that, I don’t really care what happens. Our government has nothing to do with us, and we have no control over it. We just live here.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Specifically with "national" and international "news"? I think most posters here are at least in their late 20s,-50s. So in your 20+ years of life on this planet has knowing political and geopolitical news been helpful to you? Couldn't a legitimate case be made that you'd be less neurotic / angry if you opted out of watching CNN/FOX/CBS/Drudge Report/Glen Beck/Michael Savage / what the hell you read to get your news. And really, what had knowing about the NFL kneeling controversy, Trump's tweets, Regular NK threats, fear mongering, burning fire/spree shootings/ ISIS/ whatever the hell is on at the time done to make you a more stable well adjusted citizen? In the end, why watch the news or read anything really about so called current events other than say the weather report for logistical decisions in your weekly planning?

Ignorance is Bliss. You want to be ignorant, that's fine by me. I'd rather be informed.

In the last 2+ years, it's pretty clear who is pedaling the Fake News and who has been far more accurate. The Vintage Media is already dead. Russia, Russia, Russia will be known as it's Death Throes.
I'd rather be informed too.

I also feel like I'm a bit ahead of the curve, I'm not smart, but I just think twisted enough to come up with weird theories. I like seeing my weird theories come true and then I feel vindicated
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session