Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

GloryofGreece

Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am

Specifically with "national" and international "news"? I think most posters here are at least in their late 20s,-50s. So in your 20+ years of life on this planet has knowing political and geopolitical news been helpful to you?

Couldn't a legitimate case be made that you'd be less neurotic / angry if you opted out of watching CNN/FOX/CBS/Drudge Report/Glen Beck/Michael Savage / whatever you read to get your news. And really, what had knowing about the NFL kneeling controversy, Trump's tweets, Regular NK threats, fear mongering, burning fire/spree shootings/ ISIS/ whatever the hell is on at the time done to make you a more stable well adjusted citizen?

In the end, why watch the news or read anything really about so called current events other than say the weather report for logistical decisions in your weekly planning? If I was less informed or totally uninformed I still would be a college graduate, have a career, go to work everyday, go home read or watch a show/movie, sleep...rinse, lather, repeat. Hell I've been steadily watching and reading less news since late 2013. Now I tune into take your pick "News" show or read Drudge or see a tweet etc. and follow up on reading an article about said event/topic and then go another month or so without really getting any "news".

I became aware of Trumps election victory watching the news for around 2 hour that night...other than that I haven't watched news live all year.
I live outside Charlottesville Virginia and didn't know about the "protest"/torch/whatever til two days later.
I found out about the Vegas shooting b/c it was a thread on another message board
I find out about something Trump tweeted or a NK threat for example again from a board message here or another forum.

Im thinking of signing off the two forums I currently read and post on. Seem's like again its negative overall and I waste time more than anything. I probably would be better off spending my time
shooting a bow, reading, hiking, sleeping, having sex, or at least watching a movie I'd really like potentially than spending another minute on the internet reading "news" or anything else really. I guess I'd go to some new consortium once a week to briefly scan for any significant news stories, i guess. But even then, why bother really? B/c the off chance someone at work will be like, "hey have you seen..." then i'd just be like no Joe I haven't tell me about it etc.
Last edited by GloryofGreece on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DBTrek

Re: Do You Think Your Better Off By Being "Informed"?

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am

You would almost certainly be happier.
Would you be better off?
I suppose that depends on where you rank personal happiness.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am

GloryofGreece wrote:Specifically with "national" and international "news"? I think most posters here are at least in their late 20s,-50s. So in your 20+ years of life on this planet has knowing political and geopolitical news been helpful to you? Couldn't a legitimate case be made that you'd be less neurotic / angry if you opted out of watching CNN/FOX/CBS/Drudge Report/Glen Beck/Michael Savage / what the hell you read to get your news. And really, what had knowing about the NFL kneeling controversy, Trump's tweets, Regular NK threats, fear mongering, burning fire/spree shootings/ ISIS/ whatever the hell is on at the time done to make you a more stable well adjusted citizen? In the end, why watch the news or read anything really about so called current events other than say the weather report for logistical decisions in your weekly planning?

Ignorance is Bliss. You want to be ignorant, that's fine by me. I'd rather be informed.

In the last 2+ years, it's pretty clear who is pedaling the Fake News and who has been far more accurate. The Vintage Media is already dead. Russia, Russia, Russia will be known as it's Death Throes.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 am

What does being "informed" give to you? It seems it doesn't really increase agency in any significant way. The President, Congress, the Supreme Court, Fortune 500 companies etc. all will make their decision with or without you knowing about it. What do you do to influence the above?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am

It gives you a better mental model of the world.
An improved map for navigating the waters of life.
That’s what it does for you.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:31 am

Information leads to sophistication & wisdom. If "happiness" were the most important thing, you should never learn about death.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am

Martin Hash wrote:Information leads to sophistication & wisdom. If "happiness" were the most important thing, you should never learn about death.
Not saying happiness is the most important thing. I'm simply expressing skepticism in the real utility of watching/reading the "news". You can be a wise man and not watch FOX/CNN/ or read Drudge or go on Twitter etc. You can be a good man and not do the above as well.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:40 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Information leads to sophistication & wisdom. If "happiness" were the most important thing, you should never learn about death.
Not saying happiness is the most important thing. I'm simply expressing skepticism in the real utility of watching/reading the "news". You can be a wise man and not watch FOX/CNN/ or read Drudge or go on Twitter etc. You can be a good man and not do the above as well.
I haven't watched "news" in over a decade. I get my "news" here, YouTube, and a news headline feed.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am

I think most of us enjoy unhappiness, so we stay informed.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am

GloryofGreece wrote:What does being "informed" give to you? It seems it doesn't really increase agency in any significant way. The President, Congress, the Supreme Court, Fortune 500 companies etc. all will make their decision with or without you knowing about it. What do you do to influence the above?
That was a huge jump, from staying informed to influencing the major powers of the country. :?
I don't claim to influence any of the above. However, I will say this. Trump has been influenced by average folks. He found a way to jump into the energy of the Tea Party and ride it to victory. The original Tea Party, not what was coopted by Rino's. I saw it coming by staying informed. Most didn't. Most considered Hillary inevitable.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience