New Star Wars is Masterfully Brilliant and a Stand Alone Masterpiece

Smitty-48

Re: New Star Wars is Masterfully Brilliant and a Stand Alone Masterpiece

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 pm

FYI; my favourite NFL player of all time; is Ronnie Lott.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Umm, I remember Christmas 77', they didn't have enough toys ready, because the craze was far bigger than they had expected, so some kids were getting a card which entitled them to an action figure at some point in the future, when they were in stock. My parents didn't even give those sorts of gifts, "too commercial", but my grandparents managed to get me some Star Wars stuff, because my Nanna did her Christmas shopping real early.
God bless all of our grandparents -- indeed.

Did you Canadian kids have the Sears WishBook for Christmas? I assume you did; but did you only have NFL crap to choose from for sports gear in the catalog?
Raised by Beatniks, cousin, my parents weren't into the whole consumer thing, there were no catalogues nor anything like that kicking around, the commercial stuff, that all came from my grandparents, my parents were more into the "wholesome" gifts as they saw it, and in terms of sports franchises, it was mostly Toronto Maple Leafs stuff, we watched NFL football, but I never really latched on to any team, until Joe Montana and The Catch, and after that I was a Niners fan for the rest of the dynasty, but that was later.
What did you all play outside in the cold weather?

Pretend hockey on the back yard grass? lol, j/k I suppose you had some kind of ball to toss around the back yard, or at least a tree branch as an ersatz hockey stick to slap across your mates' grills, Maple Leafs style.

:goteam: :drunk:

Anyway, I bet young Smits found plenty of ways to rebel as an emerging consumer at the local arcades / convenience stores.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:
God bless all of our grandparents -- indeed.

Did you Canadian kids have the Sears WishBook for Christmas? I assume you did; but did you only have NFL crap to choose from for sports gear in the catalog?
Raised by Beatniks, cousin, my parents weren't into the whole consumer thing, there were no catalogues nor anything like that kicking around, the commercial stuff, that all came from my grandparents, my parents were more into the "wholesome" gifts as they saw it, and in terms of sports franchises, it was mostly Toronto Maple Leafs stuff, we watched NFL football, but I never really latched on to any team, until Joe Montana and The Catch, and after that I was a Niners fan for the rest of the dynasty, but that was later.
What did you all play outside in the cold weather?

Pretend hockey on the back yard grass? lol, j/k I suppose you had some kind of ball to toss around the back yard, or at least a tree branch as an ersatz hockey stick to slap across your mates' grills, Maple Leafs style.

:goteam: :drunk:

Anyway, I bet young Smits found plenty of ways to rebel as an emerging consumer at the local arcades / convenience stores.
My family is from Hants County Nova Scotia, I played hockey on Long Pond; the birthplace of hockey itself.

But indeed, I gots my commercial toys to play with, tell you what tho, I think my favourite franchise back then was probably Space: 1999, I fuckin' loved Space: 1999. Eagle > Millennium Falcon.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:FYI; my favourite NFL player of all time; is Ronnie Lott.

He is a bad broheim, no doubt.

I grew up as a kid where everything was all Cowboys or Steelers; there was no legit other option in the NFL. For sports my whole extended family was college football and MLB, so I was DGAF about the NFL.

As a result my Sears catalog shopping experiences turned more towards hardware and electronics. And guns and ammo.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Also bear in mind, I saw 2001: ASO before I saw Star Wars, and as much as I thought Star Wars was cool, nothing blew my mind like 2001, I was plenty into SF before Star Wars came along. Hal 9000 > R2D2
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:FYI; my favourite NFL player of all time; is Ronnie Lott.

He is a bad broheim, no doubt.

I grew up as a kid where everything was all Cowboys or Steelers; there was no legit other option in the NFL. For sports my whole extended family was college football and MLB, so I was DGAF about the NFL.

As a result my Sears catalog shopping experiences turned more towards hardware and electronics. And guns and ammo.
North Dallas Forty was like a gospel in my house, but the North Dallas Bulls were of course the villains, my father had a great hatred for the Cowboys, which is why The Catch was so big in my household. My father was a Rams fan, having grown up in LA, but the Rams sucked, and he did go to Berkeley, so the 49ers were the California team we could both get behind.

For all intents and purposes American, I was essentially raised from the perspective of a Californian, California was what America was about, for me growing up. That's where my father's family lived, that's where I spent most of my time when in America. I used to come back to Canada saying things like "Radical!" and "Gnarly!" and the other kids would look at me like "what?"

The Dallas Cowboys; that was the Evil Empire. Pittsburgh Steelers; Troglodytes.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 am

Watched it with the kids last night....

Anyone else picking up on this theme?

The Jedi are obsessed with the dark side?

They always want to kill their apprentices because they have much "darkness" in them....

This is what is feeding the Dark Side of the Force....

If the Jedi weren't so obsessed with stamping out darkness none of the evil Sith Lords would have become evil Sith Lords...

Is the that the underlying theme of these movies?

Maybe that's why Luke Skywalker wants the Jedi to end....

But if that's the case... the movie contradicts itself....

It is as obsessed with the "dark side" as the Jedi are... Gambling, meat eating, animal cruelty, Military Industrial Trade, impulsive male aggression....

I sense much hypocrisy.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am

DrYouth wrote:Watched it with the kids last night....

Anyone else picking up on this theme?

The Jedi are obsessed with the dark side?

They always want to kill their apprentices because they have much "darkness" in them....

This is what is feeding the Dark Side of the Force....

If the Jedi weren't so obsessed with stamping out darkness none of the evil Sith Lords would have become evil Sith Lords...

Is the that the underlying theme of these movies?

Maybe that's why Luke Skywalker wants the Jedi to end....

But if that's the case... the movie contradicts itself....

It is as obsessed with the "dark side" as the Jedi are... Gambling, meat eating, animal cruelty, Military Industrial Trade, impulsive male aggression....

I sense much hypocrisy.

Well, it's written by liberals and Marxists. It's probably just unconscious projection.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Well, it's written by liberals and Marxists. It's probably just unconscious projection.
So not at all self aware...

And yet this theme of the Jedi's reaction to the dark side of the force in the apprentices driving them away seems to be deliberately written into the stories...

It was there with Yoda and Anakin...

And again now with Luke and Kylo...

Can't really be a coincidence can it?

Maybe one or two of the authors has self awareness?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 am

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Well, it's written by liberals and Marxists. It's probably just unconscious projection.
So not at all self aware...

And yet this theme of the Jedi's reaction to the dark side of the force in the apprentices driving them away seems to be deliberately written into the stories...

It was there with Yoda and Anakin...

And again now with Luke and Kylo...

Can't really be a coincidence can it?

Maybe one or two of the authors has self awareness?

I am starting to suspect only very few of us have self-awareness, and even then only part of the time.