New Star Wars is Masterfully Brilliant and a Stand Alone Masterpiece

Penner

Re: New Star Wars is Masterfully Brilliant and a Stand Alone Masterpiece

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I just saw it and I think I am in the minority that I think it was okay but not great nor bad; just okay. What I really think is that they should really cut out the stupid kiddie stuff and just tell a story as is. No need to go all, "dark and gritty" but no kiddie stuff either. We get it, Star Wars is for the whole family BUT by God, Disney just quite it with the pandering to the kids.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:15 pm

The entire purpose of Star Wars is to market products to children, across a wide spectrum of ages, starting as young as possible, so if you're going for Star Wars, you gots to take the Ewoks with Boba Fett, I mean, my wife liked Star Wars when she was a little girl, but Return of the Jedi was the first one she ever saw, and all she cared about was the Ewoks, space teddy bears, full spectrum marketing, mission accomplished, cha-ching.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 pm

I heard there was a good part about the value of PETA.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The entire purpose of Star Wars is to market products to children, across a wide spectrum of ages, starting as young as possible, so if you're going for Star Wars, you gots to take the Ewoks with Boba Fett, I mean, my wife liked Star Wars when she was a little girl, but Return of the Jedi was the first one she ever saw, and all she cared about was the Ewoks, space teddy bears, full spectrum marketing, mission accomplished, cha-ching.
You're too young (I think, perhaps, by a short margin) to remember what roaming the Christmas aisle in 1977 was like, in the Ontario equivalent of Sears & Roebuck Co in Memphis Tenn.

Those Madison Ave fuckers had us all pegged even back then.

I'm lucky that I was still pining for a BB gun and not plastic boy dolls at age 10. (Just kidding, I already had an 870 and was pretty curious about Carrie Fisher maybe going full frontal. :goteam: :drunk: )

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I heard there was a good part about the value of PETA.
That was one of the worst points of the whole movie, IMO. I mean Luke has been living on that island for years and honestly, he was probably eating those things as well.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The entire purpose of Star Wars is to market products to children, across a wide spectrum of ages, starting as young as possible, so if you're going for Star Wars, you gots to take the Ewoks with Boba Fett, I mean, my wife liked Star Wars when she was a little girl, but Return of the Jedi was the first one she ever saw, and all she cared about was the Ewoks, space teddy bears, full spectrum marketing, mission accomplished, cha-ching.
You're too young (I think, perhaps, by a short margin) to remember what roaming the Christmas aisle in 1977 was like, in the Ontario equivalent of Sears & Roebuck Co in Memphis Tenn.

I'm lucky that I was still pining for a BB gun and not plastic boy dolls at age 10. (Just kidding, I already had an 870 and was pretty curious about Carrie Fisher maybe going full frontal. :goteam: :drunk: )
Umm, I remember Christmas 77', they didn't have enough toys ready, because the craze was far bigger than they had expected, so some kids were getting a card which entitled them to an action figure at some point in the future, when they were in stock. My parents didn't even give those sorts of gifts, "too commercial", but my grandparents managed to get me some Star Wars stuff, because my Nanna did her Christmas shopping real early.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm

I think the more important gift for me that year, was from the kid that used to baby sit me, he was a rock n' roller, I idolized him, and got me Bat Out of Hell, which had just come out, was my favorite album which he used to bring over and play, and that made me feel like a "big kid", with the teenagers, so that was even bigger than Star Wars.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:

Umm, I remember Christmas 77', they didn't have enough toys ready, because the craze was far bigger than they had expected, so some kids were getting a card which entitled them to an action figure at some point in the future, when they were in stock. My parents didn't even give those sorts of gifts, "too commercial", but my grandparents managed to get me some Star Wars stuff, because my Nanna did her Christmas shopping real early.
God bless all of our grandparents -- indeed.

Did you Canadian kids have the Sears WishBook for Christmas? I assume you did; but did you only have NFL crap to choose from for sports gear in the catalog?

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I think the more important gift for me that year, was from the kid that used to baby sit me, he was a rock n' roller, I idolized him, and got me Bat Out of Hell, which had just come out, was my favorite album which he used to bring over and play, and that made me feel like a "big kid", with the teenagers, so that was even bigger than Star Wars.
Star Wars was a big deal in the South in 77, have no doubt. A big fucking deal.

But compared to Steve Austin or kicking it with your neighbor's big brother's KISS albums? Small fucking taters.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:

God bless all of our grandparents -- indeed.

Did you Canadian kids have the Sears WishBook for Christmas? I assume you did; but did you only have NFL crap to choose from for sports gear in the catalog?
Raised by Beatniks, cousin, my parents weren't into the whole consumer thing, there were no catalogues nor anything like that kicking around, the commercial stuff, that all came from my grandparents, my parents were more into the "wholesome" gifts as they saw it, and in terms of sports franchises, it was mostly Toronto Maple Leafs stuff, we watched NFL football, but I never really latched on to any team, until Joe Montana and The Catch, and after that I was a Niners fan for the rest of the dynasty, but that was later.
Nec Aspera Terrent