Re: BIG Holiday Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:18 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am

Windham County still has less than 50,000 people today. If we are calling Washington a big-city general, I think we are stretching that term a little thin.

I'm gonna say Washington was a lucky bumpkin who had the support of the big city money men and global intellectuals. Bean counters and investors win wars - Generals just fight 'em.
Washington was landed gentry elite, he was a far cry from a country boy. Hell, he incited the French and Indian War and got away with it. That's privilege, Crown loved him.

I don't hate Washington, but his reputation is mythology.

Washington's greatest feat was keeping the Army together at Valley Forge. He had to be a complete tyrant to do it, but it was necessary.
I don't hate Washington either - and most reputation is mythology after about a generation. Big deal.

The problem is you are all over the map. Sometimes being rich landed gentry makes you a elite wokester or something - sometimes it makes you a gentleman yeoman farmer. Seems like it all depends on who you are trying to blame for problems, and who you are claiming is a true patriot.

Jackson took Florida from the Spanish without much in the way of actual authority from Monroe (I think it was Monroe that was president at the time). Was that elite woke privilege?

Seems like the whole idea of nameless true patriots from the unpopulated countryside being the sole reason for America's success is a bunch of bullshit. Elites win wars. Elites fund wars. Elites decide when and where to sue for peace. Elites make treaties.

Elitism forever!
I live in the countryside and it is much more elite than the city

it's mostly wealthy farmers, including a lot of horse farms of the rich

Justin Bieber has a huge mansion here just down the road, with his own private race track for his cars
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm

Washington was landed gentry elite, he was a far cry from a country boy. Hell, he incited the French and Indian War and got away with it. That's privilege, Crown loved him.

I don't hate Washington, but his reputation is mythology.

Washington's greatest feat was keeping the Army together at Valley Forge. He had to be a complete tyrant to do it, but it was necessary.
I don't hate Washington either - and most reputation is mythology after about a generation. Big deal.

The problem is you are all over the map. Sometimes being rich landed gentry makes you a elite wokester or something - sometimes it makes you a gentleman yeoman farmer. Seems like it all depends on who you are trying to blame for problems, and who you are claiming is a true patriot.

Jackson took Florida from the Spanish without much in the way of actual authority from Monroe (I think it was Monroe that was president at the time). Was that elite woke privilege?

Seems like the whole idea of nameless true patriots from the unpopulated countryside being the sole reason for America's success is a bunch of bullshit. Elites win wars. Elites fund wars. Elites decide when and where to sue for peace. Elites make treaties.

Elitism forever!

Justin Bieber has a huge mansion here just down the road, with his own private race track for his cars
Loads of rich people have property in the countryside. Taking big-city money out to civilize the rural barbarians is a time-honored elite pastime.

You're all welcome for civilization.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Elitism forever!

Loads of rich people have property in the countryside. Taking big-city money out to civilize the rural barbarians is a time-honored elite pastime.

the winners are actually both the downtown information elites, and the rural farmers

the rural farmers are subsidized in a protected market, so they make out like bandits, particularly selling to China

the people getting screwed are the Blue Collar industrial workers in the sprawl of the suburbs in between
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

the winners are actually both the downtown information elites, and the rural farmers

the rural farmers are subsidized in a protected market, so they make out like bandits, particularly selling to China

the people getting screwed are the Blue Collar industrial workers in the sprawl of the suburbs in between
hard agree

Blue collar tradesmen in the city though? Ooooh, they are making out like bandits. More power to 'em. The suburbs always sucked, and they will always suck.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

hard agree

Blue collar tradesmen in the city though? Ooooh, they are making out like bandits. More power to 'em. The suburbs always sucked, and they will always suck.
our property prices here are going through the roof

because there are so many farms, there is a shortage of land

at the same time, the suburbs are turning into ghettoes, so those with money to spend are fleeing to countryside

thus it is getting more elite around here all the time, the average home price is $800,000

we bought for $400,000, now our property is priced over a million

when we moved here twelve years ago, it still had a small town feel

but now there are people pulling up in Rari's round here, I just saw a 458 Italia parked at the liquor store

not that I'm complaining mind you,

but it's like they took a rich neighbourhood from Toronto and dropped in the middle of the farmers fields
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:46 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

hard agree

at the same time, the suburbs are turning into ghettoes, so those with money to spend are fleeing to countryside

thus it is getting more elite around here all the time, the average home price is $800,000

but now there are people pulling up in Rari's round here, I just saw a 458 Italia parked at the liquor store

but it's like they took a rich neighbourhood from Toronto and dropped in the middle of the farmers fields
Gentrification of urban neighborhoods has been good for my wife and I as well.

Gentrify the country, gentrify the city - the suburbs can kick sand. They always suck, even when they are nice.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:51 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

hard agree

Gentrify the country, gentrify the city - the suburbs can kick sand. They always suck, even when they are nice.
well my wife wanted out of Toronto, so I agreed to try the suburbs

I only lasted one year in the suburbs before I had had enough

I forced my wife to move back downtown

then we compromised, I said I would go, if we went all the way out to the countryside

but as soon as I got here, I saw how undervalued the property was, so I started buying
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:57 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

then we compromised, I said I would go, if we went all the way out to the countryside

but as soon as I got here, I saw how undervalued the property was, so I started buying
Finding and recognizing undervalued property requires imagination. Most people don't have it.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Finding and recognizing undervalued property requires imagination. Most people don't have it.
all credit to my wife, she's from the area, she knew what it was like here, she always wanted to live here

I didn't have a clear idea of what it was like until she brought me here for the first time
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:31 pm
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

all credit to my wife, she's from the area, she knew what it was like here, she always wanted to live here

I didn't have a clear idea of what it was like until she brought me here for the first time
Oh, no doubt. I was very skeptical about my wife's vision for our current house. I was wrong as hell.

Fortunately, because I'm fine but simple, I was able to attract someone with some brains.
HAIL!

-Hwen