BIG Holiday Thread

Fife

Re: BIG Holiday Thread

Post by Fife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm
Is that a Klinger doll ?
"Action figure" I believe is the preferred nomenclature. Did you have the whole set, or just a few Klingers? :goteam: :drunk:

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Here's a quick podcast episode to get you in the right mood for giving thanks:

The First Thanksgiving

Grab your cockle hat and buckle shoes. It's time to celebrate the first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims. Or not, because they didn't celebrate the first Thanksgiving in North America.

But you won't hear that in any school across America. Little minds of mush are told about the Pilgrim holiday from Alaska to Florida, California to Massachusetts. I expect Massachusetts to push this message. After all, it makes them first in something even if they weren't first in much of anything, except perhaps self-righteous posturing.

The first Thanksgiving was held in Florida over fifty years before the Pilgrims celebrated their good fortune in 1621. This makes sense because the Spanish landed in Florida in the 16th century and had a permanent colony at St. Augustine in 1565. Outside of Florida, most Americans don't know about this Thanksgiving because it was a one-time event, and admittedly cannot be considered the origin of our current annual holiday.

We have to look a little further north for our first annual Thanksgiving celebration. In December 1619, a group of weary Englishmen landed in Virginia and celebrated a Thanksgiving feast at Berkeley Hundred. They pledged to do so annually and did until 1621 when most of the group was wiped out by the Powhattan.

Enter the Pilgrims. Whereas the Virginians had to face hostile tribes along with a hostile environment, the Pilgrims benefitted from the English speaking natives in their midst. The Pilgrims survived and so did their annual holiday.

Once the North won the War in 1865, the Northern version of American history became dominant. Susan-Mary Grant's North Over South traces this trend to before the War, but once the South was subjugated, Northern nationalism became American nationalism and thus the Northern-dominated American nation was born.

Northern "nationalism" had always been Northern sectionalism, and that included their myths, customs, and traditions.

Southerners pushed back in the late 19th century and tried to focus on the real origins of America. President John Tyler's son, Lyon Gardiner Tyler, did yeoman's work in this area in the early 20th century, but modern historians scoff at these people as little more than pro-Southern partisans interested in a "distortion" of "true" history. In short, they lied. Oh, and they were racists, so you can't believe anything they wrote.

If you can't refute what they said, call them names. Worked in Kindergarten.

The fact remains that these Southerners were on to something and our entire identity as "Americans" has been forged by a Northern conception of the American experience, including our holidays.

It is proper to give thanks for the bounty we have as Americans. Washington thought Americans should pause and give thanks during the harvest season. We just need to accurately remember which Americans started the trend.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm
Is that a Klinger doll ?
"Action figure" I believe is the preferred nomenclature. Did you have the whole set, or just a few Klingers? :goteam: :drunk:
No, I didn't have a Klinger...…………………….. when I was a young teen I had a Major Houlihan inflatable doll. :?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm
Here's a quick podcast episode to get you in the right mood for giving thanks:

The First Thanksgiving
This is new to me, I'm going to have to listen...……. Thanks.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:52 am

My Dad gave me an empty box one Christmas and told me it was an Action man deserter.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:21 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:52 am
My Dad gave me an empty box one Christmas and told me it was an Action man deserter.
LOL
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:31 am

Half way through the current film job. Turns out to be a "true crime" program for the US market called Heart of Darkness.
Just so happens I had roast turkey down on the menu today so I brazened it out and told everyone it was a Thanksgiving dinner.
There are a few Yanks on the job and they were really pleased that I'd gone to the effort. :lol:
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:05 am

It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:36 am

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:31 am
Half way through the current film job. Turns out to be a "true crime" program for the US market called Heart of Darkness.
Just so happens I had roast turkey down on the menu today so I brazened it out and told everyone it was a Thanksgiving dinner.
There are a few Yanks on the job and they were really pleased that I'd gone to the effort. :lol:
Good move.

The traditional meal is turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, and something like cranberries, or beets.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0