Cool Historical Pictures

Speaker to Animals

Re: Cool Historical Pictures

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeti footprints of a creature walking across a glacier taken by the 1951 Mount Everest expedition:

Maybe they just walked across the glacier long before there was even a land bridge at all (just ice).
Searching for the Yeti. Includes an explanation for those footprints.

I am not saying what made those footprints for sure, but I am fairly certain it wasn't a fox. A fox has only four toes, for one thing, and the profile of it's paw print is round.

This is a fox paw print:

In the interest of charity, I searched through my results to find the example of a snow print that matches the closest to what they were saying:

I don't see it. I think odds are much higher that this was a fake than an actual fox print, though I don't think Hillary would fake a damned thing. That guy was a hero. It's possible the Nepalese might fake something like that for the tourism and public interest in an otherwise (at the time) unknown part of the world,

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

They weren't suggesting it was fox prints that was just an example of the elongation effect.
They seem to be suggesting it was human footprints that had become elongated but why anyone would walk barefoot in snow is not explained.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Montegriffo wrote:They weren't suggesting it was fox prints that was just an example of the elongation effect.
They seem to be suggesting it was human footprints that had become elongated but why anyone would walk barefoot in snow is not explained.

I don't understand this aspect of the prints very well, but there are primatologists in the "believer" camp who explain that many of these prints really can't be made by a natural foot of a homo sapiens because of the lack of arch and something about the toes. Also, they argue what we do see in the prints makes quite a lot of sense for a larger primate than us that has the shorter legs and the gate people described.

It's actually surprising how many primatologists are in the believer camp. You'd think it would be near zero of them, and certainly none of the top fifty of that scientific community, and yet you find people like Jane Goodall arguing for the very real possibility.

In the descriptions, when these things encounter humans, they often get mean and they will drop down on all fours like a gorilla to make that hooof sound and charge like that. When they walk, people say the legs are short. To mimic real gorilla movements, homo sapiens actors (like for Planet of the Apes) have to use these arm extension sticks because our arms are short, but legs are long. Our foot arch supports that, whereas if we still walked around like our earlier hominid ancestors (transitioning between the two modes of movement), then we'd not need that.

I just find it so hard to believe we don't have bodies. That's my problem with it. I do believe they had to have existed, even pretty well into the 20th century. But how in the fuck do we not find bodies these days? What about FLIR?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Les Stroud is a believer
http://www.lesstroud.ca/survivorman-bigfoot/

I love the idea of cryptozoology, and I love when we get rock solid proof like Coelacanths. I've spent a lot of time in the woods all my life. Most of my friends have spent a lot of time in the woods. I can remember maybe 1 bigfoot story. I'm not ruling it out completely as bones of many things that inhabit forests are rarely found. Mountain Lion bones are almost never found.

I'm a Yeti Agnostic.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 pm

C-Mag wrote:Les Stroud is a believer
http://www.lesstroud.ca/survivorman-bigfoot/

I love the idea of cryptozoology, and I love when we get rock solid proof like Coelacanths. I've spent a lot of time in the woods all my life. Most of my friends have spent a lot of time in the woods. I can remember maybe 1 bigfoot story. I'm not ruling it out completely as bones of many things that inhabit forests are rarely found. Mountain Lion bones are almost never found.

I'm a Yeti Agnostic.

From what I recall, Stroud claims to have experienced them while filming in Alaska. He said something big was making a lot of noise in the tree line near his camp, and he could hear the hooo hooo hooo sounds similar to a gorilla that many witnesses report when they get angry.

I think it's not tenable to argue these things didn't exist in the recent past, though. You'd have to make a lot of assumptions and accept a lot of coincidences to take that position. Most people just never really thought about it much and haven't considered how improbable it would be that primitive cultures spread across two continents described the same thing, and then whites started describing something similar before they even knew about the primitive legends.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm

One author who has searched for the yeti for 60 years believes it is a tree bear.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/20/author-wh ... t-6865494/
He told National Geographic magazine: ‘I was advised to go there by the King of Nepal, who said: “If you want to go to the wildest place, where the Yeti might be, it is the Barun” and when the King says that, you go, because he really knows his country.
‘Once I got in that valley I found footprints. I’d seen footprints before but these were fresh and I had no doubt I had found the Yeti.’

However, his joy at finding the Yeti was shortlived as a local hunter told him the footprints were from a tree bear.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Danger and Death
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 pm

East London 1932, looks like it could 1832

PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 pm

C-Mag wrote:East London 1932, looks like it could 1832

The clippers sailed right upto 1939. For some cargoes such as grain and wool from Australia they could still compete with steamers for profitability.
Tea clippers competed to get the first of the year's tea to England.
Cutty sark sailed from Australia to England in just 67 days.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Cutty sark sailed from Australia to England in just 67 days.
Very Cool................ I'm pretty sure those Limeys made it so quick because they were low on booze.
PLATA O PLOMO