Intelligent people more at risk of mental illness, study finds

Speaker to Animals

Re: Intelligent people more at risk of mental illness, study finds

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

He probably flagged his own post.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm

This thread has a mental illness but I'm not sure if it's a result of intelligence.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Montegriffo wrote:This thread has a mental illness but I'm not sure if it's a result of intelligence.
I've been keeping a close watch because if intelligence & anti-intelligence touch, the universe explodes.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:This thread has a mental illness but I'm not sure if it's a result of intelligence.
I've been keeping a close watch because if intelligence & anti-intelligence touch, the universe explodes.

You might be about 13.7 billion years late. It already exploded and we are flying off into the never as it slowly rips time and space apart.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Actually is rather creating spacetime as it flies apart into the never, flying apart = spacetime.
Nec Aspera Terrent

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:They might have confounded variables. Their experimental group consists of a sample of Mensa members, but I suspect the kind of person predisposed to join something lime that suffers from mental illnesses despite their alleged intelligence. All such clubs exist at the very least for people who suffer from self-esteem and fulfilment problems.

Then the control group at least ostensibly contains the experimental group, since they compared these scores to a national average.

Dark age is coming, folks.
That, plus all of the ones in the study were self-reporting perceived mental illnesses--not exactly rigid adherence to the DSM-5. And even if they had been evaluated by trained psychiatrists using the DSM-5, that thing is itself kinda fuzzy-wuzzy when it comes to making diagnoses, as anyone who has taken a stroll through it will tell you.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

We learned a lot about Spacetime at Everest College in my theoretical NASA class. It was quite interesting. We would theorize what it would be like to work for NASA and write equations on the board. Many of these equations used some the same numbers and variables that were used for the Apollo missions like x or pi.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm

heydaralon wrote:We learned a lot about Spacetime at Everest College in my theoretical NASA class. It was quite interesting. We would theorize what it would be like to work for NASA and write equations on the board. Many of these equations used some the same numbers and variables that were used for the Apollo missions like x or pi.
The most important contribution so far, has been getting "Warp Drive" out of Sci-Fi, fuck Warp Drive, Warp Drive is for Commies, death to the Space Utopia, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Still watching Pozz Treck I see.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm

I preferred the hopelessness and emptiness of the BSG reboot.

They are on the run trying to escape extinction, looking for a new home, and there's literally nothing out there. It speaks to me.