130db (loud enough)

The Conservative

Re: 130db (loud enough)

Post by The Conservative » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The noise you generate with that low voltage is likely a high-pitched tone that likely will damage hearing.
With a long-term usage, a short burst should cause a person to flinch. Also, the 130db is used in publically accessible "emergency" protection...

No. Any amount can damage at a high pitch like that.
You realize a Flashbang produces over 170db right?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am

The Conservative wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
With a long-term usage, a short burst should cause a person to flinch. Also, the 130db is used in publically accessible "emergency" protection...

It's a bang, not a high-pitch chirp, dummy.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am

The Conservative wrote:

Dummy huh? Funny that... hence why I was asking questions at the beginning...
Now the thing with a flashbang that is common with them is also a "force" wall that comes with the bang, if I utilize pure sound at 130db would that wall of force be negated?
You are not good at reading, are you? I asked a question specifically to make sure of going in the right direction...
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

The Conservative wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

Now the thing with a flashbang that is common with them is also a "force" wall that comes with the bang, if I utilize pure sound at 130db would that wall of force be negated?
You are not good at reading, are you? I asked a question specifically to make sure of going in the right direction...

We told you the answers and you became combative. To not damage hearing, you need a much lower pitched sound, which means a larger speaker and a lot more power. Think in terms of an expensive auto sound system. It's easy to generate loud high pitch noises, but that isn't going to help in this context.

Maybe focus just on designing how to arrange the LEDs to create a flash effect. That's actually a useful idea and probably not foul of the law. That would not take so much power.

For instance, you could arrange small panels around a can-sized cylinder that contains the power source. Roll it into a room and trigger a flash.

You don't need a loud noise either. Just a sudden noise that causes people to look at the source just before the flash.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:47 am

The Conservative wrote:

We told you the answers and you became combative. To not damage hearing, you need a much lower pitched sound, which means a larger speaker and a lot more power. Think in terms of an expensive auto sound system. It's easy to generate loud high pitch noises, but that isn't going to help in this context.

Maybe focus just on designing how to arrange the LEDs to create a flash effect. That's actually a useful idea and probably not foul of the law. That would not take so much power.

For instance, you could arrange small panels around a can-sized cylinder that contains the power source. Roll it into a room and trigger a flash.

You don't need a loud noise either. Just a sudden noise that causes people to look at the source just before the flash.
If you and others said that instead of saying "Don't end up in jail", and other slights, perhaps I wouldn't have been so combative?

I may be an asshole, but a react accordingly.
#NotOneRedCent

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Before you continue developing something that you want to sell to the military/defense contractors, you may want to research the cost of First Article testing.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:00 pm

It's useless from a military standpoint. Too many points of failure.

But as a general concept, a very bright LED-based "flash" grenade actually has merit. The sound need not be loud at all. It need only cause people to actually look at the grenade right before it flashes.

Something like that is doable, and probably would be purchased by preppers and the like, but not the US military or police. Professionals are not going to want something that could fail and circuits, batteries, LEDs, etc are all points of failure that don't exist with a simple flash-bang grenade.

Just built an LED flasher that will temporarily blind somebody. People might pick something like that up for prepping. It almost likely would never be used realistically, but it's plausible enough that somebody might drop fifty to a hundred dollars on it.

You could also market it as some kind of beacon. Dim the flash a little so it doesn't totally blind people nearby and let people code messages into the flash in Morse, with SOS precoded. Make sure it flashes in all directions. It's something you could put on the top of a tree in emergency, for example, to signal to aircraft.

That much actually has potential, I think, if you could get the costs down.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's useless from a military standpoint. Too many points of failure.

But as a general concept, a very bright LED-based "flash" grenade actually has merit. The sound need not be loud at all. It need only cause people to actually look at the grenade right before it flashes.

Something like that is doable, and probably would be purchased by preppers and the like, but not the US military or police. Professionals are not going to want something that could fail and circuits, batteries, LEDs, etc are all points of failure that don't exist with a simple flash-bang grenade.

Just built an LED flasher that will temporarily blind somebody. People might pick something like that up for prepping. It almost likely would never be used realistically, but it's plausible enough that somebody might drop fifty to a hundred dollars on it.

You could also market it as some kind of beacon. Dim the flash a little so it doesn't totally blind people nearby and let people code messages into the flash in Morse, with SOS precoded. Make sure it flashes in all directions. It's something you could put on the top of a tree in emergency, for example, to signal to aircraft.

You’ve just reinvented the flashlight.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It's useless from a military standpoint. Too many points of failure.

Flashlight is directed. Read before you reply. Thanks.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Flashlight is directed. Read before you reply. Thanks.

I stand corrected... You've actually made a less-useful flashlight.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0