Advice Request: Teaching Fake News

C-Mag

Advice Request: Teaching Fake News

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 am

My wife teaches at a K-5 School where she is the Librarian. She has to teach kids about Fake News, and discerning what is Real News and What is Fake.

Could be very touchy and could trigger parents depending on how it is handled. I thought I'd seek advice from the MHF Brain Trust.

Recommendations on how to handle this are welcome.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Advice Request: Teaching Fake News

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 am

Wow. That is a tough job.

Evidence provided against self interest is a good rule of thumb to follow.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 am

Show them CNN clips followed up by the retractions. Or the CNN guy faking the SCUD missile attack. This stuff goes back really far. Most MSM is fake news.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Wow. That is a tough job.

Evidence provided against self interest is a good rule of thumb to follow.

She is starting with the Seahawks flag burning photoshop, since one of her kids asked about that.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Show them CNN clips followed up by the retractions. Or the CNN guy faking the SCUD missile attack. This stuff goes back really far. Most MSM is fake news.

Good recommendations.
The nice thing about going back to Scud attacks, is it won't be so heated now.
PLATA O PLOMO

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm

C-Mag wrote:My wife teaches at a K-5 School where she is the Librarian. She has to teach kids about Fake News, and discerning what is Real News and What is Fake.

Could be very touchy and could trigger parents depending on how it is handled. I thought I'd seek advice from the MHF Brain Trust.

My kids started learning how to use reliable sources in grade 1/2 and they'd build on the topic every year thereafter. (I remember the biggest related issue being the existence of Santa Claus at that age.) They learned the difference between fact and opinion as the preamble to citing references. The teacher can validate a child's feelings while teaching how to discern a fact.

That said, the bottom line was 'this is acceptable at work/school and that is acceptable at home.' Works with kids and most parents, and the board of ed and administration should be issuing the guidance.
:royalty-queen:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:31 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
C-Mag wrote:My wife teaches at a K-5 School where she is the Librarian. She has to teach kids about Fake News, and discerning what is Real News and What is Fake.

My kids started learning how to use reliable sources in grade 1/2 and they'd build on the topic every year thereafter. (I remember the biggest related issue being the existence of Santa Claus at that age.) They learned the difference between fact and opinion as the preamble to citing references. The teacher can validate a child's feelings while teaching how to discern a fact.

That said, the bottom line was 'this is acceptable at work/school and that is acceptable at home.' Works with kids and most parents, and the board of ed and administration should be issuing the guidance.

Thanks
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Little school kids like music as a teaching tool; how about a singalong to show that it's important to trust what our teachers (and our leaders, our press, and our experts) say, and not the Twitter/Faux News?

OK, Carlus, enough snark from me. I'm going to think about some advice on this project (that might even be allowed by the school masters).

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Fife wrote:Little school kids like music as a teaching tool; how about a singalong to show that it's important to trust what our teachers (and our leaders, our press, and our experts) say, and not the Twitter/Faux News?

OK, Carlus, enough snark from me. I'm going to think about some advice on this project (that might even be allowed by the school masters).

Nah, its good snark.

The Propaganda thing is what makes this sticky.
PLATA O PLOMO

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I remember being taught what is a fact vs an opinion and also what is an eyewitness account (and how they can be faulty as well). It started in like the 1st grade and was always revisited, every year, so we won't forget. That being said I remember about always know your source and always check to see if there are multiple sources citing the same thing as well.

On a side note- I remember a teacher saying (back in the late 1990s) that anyone could report anything they want on the Internet and to me that has always stuck with me.