Book: The Old Guard

The Conservative

Book: The Old Guard

Post by The Conservative » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 am

Ok, so I've finally given my book a title, at least a working one, for now, The Old Guard.

Long story short, the past comes to bite some old friends in the ass, and now they got to finish what should have been done 20+ years ago.

The main characters shifted from the girl to the father and a few other players for now, she will become more active later in the book, and the others as I get them written.

I've given the first 9 chapters instead of 10 because if length. It's over 90 pages in letter size. This is the first round of editing, so there are going to be mistakes I am sure. I am also going to be changing a few things on the 2nd round, this is an early rough draft that's been through one round of editing.

This is up to chapter 9, I have another five chapters after this I've written so far, but it should give an idea of how things are going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#NotOneRedCent

Penner

Re: Book: The Old Guard

Post by Penner » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:55 pm

The Conservative wrote:Ok, so I've finally given my book a title, at least a working one, for now, The Old Guard.

Long story short, the past comes to bite some old friends in the ass, and now they got to finish what should have been done 20+ years ago.

The main characters shifted from the girl to the father and a few other players for now, she will become more active later in the book, and the others as I get them written.

I've given the first 9 chapters instead of 10 because if length. It's over 90 pages in letter size. This is the first round of editing, so there are going to be mistakes I am sure. I am also going to be changing a few things on the 2nd round, this is an early rough draft that's been through one round of editing.

This is up to chapter 9, I have another five chapters after this I've written so far, but it should give an idea of how things are going.

So where are you getting this published?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Penner wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Ok, so I've finally given my book a title, at least a working one, for now, The Old Guard.

So where are you getting this published?
No idea yet, if at all... matters if they think it's good enough to be published...
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Self publishing e-books on Amazon is the way to go. Publishers take most of the money, ''the last changeling'' goes for $2.99 for which Fiona gets 2 bucks, the publishing deal she was offered was $6.99 price per sale of which she got 70 cents.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Self publishing e-books on Amazon is the way to go. Publishers take most of the money, ''the last changeling'' goes for $2.99 for which Fiona gets 2 bucks, the publishing deal she was offered was $6.99 price per sale of which she got 70 cents.
Just need to get the word out for the book, which would be the issue... lol.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Well, it seems I know a few authors without realizing it. Think I might contact them and see if they can give me some advice. I'm going to start an ARC and see if I can't get some feedback as well there. I'm already going to start re-writing the book a bit after my first run, I already see storyline (writing style mistake) and I want to fix it. but I've tagged the issues and will go back later.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:42 pm

So, I've revamped my book entirely... I will be sending it to an editor as we speak.

I've written over my projected wordcount by over 13,000 words. 163,276 words (pre-editor)

Hopefully by next year (early or mid) I will be pushing this towards some publishers.

Here are the final specs (pre-editor)
The Old Guard.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#NotOneRedCent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am

Congrats for keeping on this for 3 years. Writing books is frustratingly tedious.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:25 am

Good job, man!

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:15 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
Congrats for keeping on this for 3 years. Writing books is frustratingly tedious.
Thanks, it is, but the final product is satifying when you see it done and someone willing to publish it (which will be my next step after the editor)

I've been working on a lot in the background of the book as well, maps, regions, politics, cultures, monies, songs, poems, heritidges, and everything inbetween.

I am writing this book without using D&D as refrence at all, I am creating creatures and cultures that are based off of world mythologies. It is why it has taken so long, I was writing back and fourth on the Wizards of the Coast trying to get permissions for use of character types, and they outright denied it. So I basically said F-it and created my own world not geared towards them at all. They had a chance, and well I'm probably not going to be the next Tolkien, but no one will be able to tell me I stole from them ;)
#NotOneRedCent