Book Group Live-Blogging?

Fife

Book Group Live-Blogging?

Post by Fife » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

Is anyone interested in book clubbing on this forum by way of book live-blogging as a group making individual posts/responses?

We would have to agree on some simple basics, like book selection, scheduling posting periods per blocks of content, &c.

Live Blogging a Book Makes You Smarter
What if we treat a book like an event?

What if we treat a book like an event? It is an event, really. A great book can be just as interesting and invigorating–and even more evocative–than a live event in reality. This is obviously true of fiction, but it is also true of nonfiction, provided the book is well written and deals provocatively with a topic you find intriguing.

This task takes us away from our default use of our intellectual talents. I’m not putting down the Snapchat, the Tweet, the Facebook update, the email or the video game. All of these activities are better than what consumed the brains of several generations from the 1950s onward, namely sitting in a puffy chair and watching people on a screen talk to you.

But live blogging a book is far better still because of the sustained focus on one single subject that it requires. It is a seriously difficult task, one that requires a stream of daily concentration, creativity and a willingness to stick it out until the end. The results will be obvious to you at the end of the long road. You will have experienced an upgrade in your capacity to think, write, read and process ideas.

Live blogging a book is different from reviewing a book or writing a book report. The point is to process information and react to it as it comes to you in real time. The live blog doesn’t merely relate the contents. It reacts to the contents of the book and how it interacts with your own prior existing ideas and how it may or may not have changed your understanding.

TheReal_ND

Re: Group Book Live-Blogging?

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 am

Ok. Let's do Turner Diaries. I got a free PDF if you don't already have it. I fucking love this book.