What Are You?

Montegriffo

Re: What Are You?

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 am

Translater for those of you not fluent in pidgin,
https://lingojam.com/English-PNGPidgin
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:43 am

Montegriffo wrote:Translater for those of you not fluent in pidgin,
https://lingojam.com/English-PNGPidgin
Godfuckingdammitwhatthehellishappening
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:43 am

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 am

Let alone capitalization or punctuation is the last line. Apparently it's redundant as well.

Weird that I have no problem reading it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

News flash: they have no problem reading proper English either.

This is like the Ebonics circus of the 1990s.

The problem happens when cultural Marxists take descriptive linguistics to mean that all dialects should be equally "good" in the context of various policies, especially with regards to education, which further sabotages entire generations of people to live out lives of poverty and marginalization.

Descriptive linguistics is only concerned with language as it actually exists and is being used by various populations. It doesn't make value judgments. That doesn't mean every dialect should be treated as equal.

In the case of so-called ebonics, it's certainly the case that black Americans have their own unique set of dialects, but when they go to work professionally or to college, they drop that dialect and use standard English.

Likewise, when I was in graduate school, I didn't write like the shit poster you are used to. We all change language based on context and the audience. Depriving people of the education to speak standard English because "they are black and are supposed to talk like that" destroyed a lot of their abilities to become professionals or continue to college.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Likewise, when I was in graduate school, I didn't write like the shit poster you are used to. We all change language based on context and the audience.
It's called code-switching. Important in order to make oneself understood in the larger group, but eventually the language of origin disappears. It's a little sad - we're all going to lose our 'voices' eventually.
:royalty-queen:

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Which both probably came from Northern Europe, and before that, Africa. How far back do you wanna go?

Besides, I'd imagine that Scotland was settled long before Ireland, being much closer to, ya know, Europe.
The Scots arrived and killed those guys.
You're talking about the Picts? One would presume them to be former Germans that settled the main island, then spread to Ireland/Wales. Later, the norwegians show up, murder the locals, and call themselves Scots.
The Picts are thought to be something Celtic. Maybe they came from Northern Ireland before the Gaelic Scots (which they are estimated to have come over to Scotland about 2,000 years ago).

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:51 pm

I read somewhere that some historians suspect they were not Celt but the original inhabitants or something like that, but all this new genetic data that shows Britons really haven't changed since the end of the Ice Age makes me doubt it.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote: It's counted as part of Great Britain.

Scots came from Ireland, champ.
Which both probably came from Northern Europe, and before that, Africa. How far back do you wanna go?

Besides, I'd imagine that Scotland was settled long before Ireland, being much closer to, ya know, Europe.

Actually, it is thought that most of the Celtic peoples of the British Isles all came through Ireland and then spread out. Scottland is to believe to be one of the last places thought to be settled because of it much colder temps and rugged mountains.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I read somewhere that some historians suspect they were not Celt but the original inhabitants or something like that, but all this new genetic data that shows Britons really haven't changed since the end of the Ice Age makes me doubt it.
It is pretty much Celtic in the British Isles with some German, Vikings, and Normans all mixing it up.