US tests 'most dangerous nuclear weapon ever produced'

Smitty-48

Re: US tests 'most dangerous nuclear weapon ever produced'

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am

It's debatable which was the most dangerous, I suppose it could be the B61 because it was the one most likely to be used and used first, but could have been the BGM-109 Nuclear Tomahawk, as that was arguably the most strategically destabilizing.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am

Xenophon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It's more likely to be used because it's so limited, precise, and least dangerous of them. An F-15 driver can deliver that thing spot on target.
Could we see something with such a low yield be employed in battle? I think the media wimps could get on board with a nuke that has such a low impact on the environment.
Not a chance re: media limp wrists. Anything nuclear is like being a Nazi. Pure evil and must never see the light of day, no matter the reality of it.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Xenophon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It's more likely to be used because it's so limited, precise, and least dangerous of them. An F-15 driver can deliver that thing spot on target.
Could we see something with such a low yield be employed in battle? I think the media wimps could get on board with a nuke that has such a low impact on the environment.

Depends who is president. If it happens under Trump, they will squeal nonstop.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Kazmyr wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Not a chance re: media limp wrists. Anything nuclear is like being a Nazi. Pure evil and must never see the light of day, no matter the reality of it.

Obama could have gotten away with it.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

Generally the neutron bomb was always the "most dangerous nuclear weapon ever produced" but I suppose you could argue that it never entered full rate production.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 am

I gather this is only an American competition, as there is the Hatf VII/Babur, which is a variable yield nuclear cruise missile in the hands of the Pakistani ISI.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am

We've had these for a long time. I don't know why they are making a big deal out of it in the press other than to produce more propaganda. This is one of the strategic roles of the F-15 platform. We used to maintain an aresenol of them at RAF Lakenheath and Woodbridge. I am not sure where we kept them in CONUS, but pretty much all the F-15 wings could configure their aircraft to carry them.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 am

They don't actually say who said it was the "most dangerous", they just air quote "military experts", but if it was really military experts, more likely they meant it is the most dangerous because it is the most accurate, a nuclear JDAM basically.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 am

Smitty-48 wrote:They don't actually say who said it was the "most dangerous", they just air quote "military experts", but if it was really military experts, more likely they meant it is the most dangerous because it is the most accurate, a nuclear JDAM basically.

It's pretty accurate. They can drop that thing right on your head if they want to.

Tactical nukes were a big deal when the threat of a Soviet offensive was real. There really was no other way to counter it.

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 am

Speaker to Animals wrote: Obama could have gotten away with it.
I don't doubt it for a second.

Reduction of Nuclear Arsenal Has Slowed Under Obama, Report Finds
MAY 26, 2016

A new census of the American nuclear arsenal shows that the Obama administration last year dismantled its smallest number of warheads since taking office.

The new figures, released by the Pentagon, also highlight a trend — that the current administration has reduced the nuclear stockpile less than any other post-Cold War presidency.

Still, the new figures and private analysis underscored the striking gap between Mr. Obama’s soaring vision of a world without nuclear arms, which he laid out during the first months of his presidency, and the tough geopolitical and bureaucratic realities of actually getting rid of those weapons.

The lack of recent progress in both arms control and warhead dismantlement also seems to coincide with the administration’s push for sweeping nuclear modernizations that include improved weapons, bombers, missiles and submarines. Those upgrades are estimated to cost up to $1 trillion over the next three decades.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.