Trying to remember my chemistry lessons...

Speaker to Animals

Re: Trying to remember my chemistry lessons...

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm

This is TC we are talking about. It probably involves fire, explosions, or drowning in fluids from accidental mustard gas.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:This is TC we are talking about. It probably involves fire, explosions, or drowning in fluids from accidental mustard gas.
It kind of sounded like he wanted to make oobleck.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 pm

Penner wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:This is TC we are talking about. It probably involves fire, explosions, or drowning in fluids from accidental mustard gas.

Fire, explosion, or mustard gas.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Penner wrote:

Fire, explosion, or mustard gas.

From the way you are talking he might have all three. A trifecta of chem lab of going horribly wrong.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Penner wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I have a feeling I am going to regret asking, but what are you trying to do now?
Nothing yet, one of my many pet projects... in this case I am trying to remember my chemistry because I am trying to remember how to make a fluid that you can walk on if you do it fast enough. Something for my son when he gets older and gets into science.
Corn Starch and Water?

Yeah, just trying to figure out the ratio. That is what I had originally as the formula.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Use powdered laundry detergent and gasoline.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 am

The Conservative wrote:I am trying to remember my chemistry, as they say, if you don't use it, you loose it. That being said, I ran across this in a paper I was reading and for the life of me my brain went blank... (I've been doing too much writing I think)
An aqueous suspension at a particle concentration of about 40 wt%.
Does this mean that 40% of the material per volumetric ounce is a specific liquid?
If you want to make a Non-Newtonian liquid you just take 2dl of corn starch for each 1 dl of water. mix and have fun.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:55 am

Hastur wrote:
The Conservative wrote:I am trying to remember my chemistry, as they say, if you don't use it, you loose it. That being said, I ran across this in a paper I was reading and for the life of me my brain went blank... (I've been doing too much writing I think)
An aqueous suspension at a particle concentration of about 40 wt%.
Does this mean that 40% of the material per volumetric ounce is a specific liquid?
If you want to make a Non-Newtonian liquid you just take 2dl of corn starch for each 1 dl of water. mix and have fun.
So it's 50%, I wonder why I had 40%... odd. In any case, thanks.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 am

The Conservative wrote:
Hastur wrote:

my guess is that wt% means weight %. Volume would be vol%

most recipes gives 1,5-2 - 1 so you best prepare for trial and error. Different brands and types of starch might require different mixing. I do 2-1.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:17 am

Hastur wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Hastur wrote: If you want to make a Non-Newtonian liquid you just take 2dl of corn starch for each 1 dl of water. mix and have fun.
my guess is that wt% means weight %. Volume would be vol%

most recipes gives 1,5-2 - 1 so you best prepare for trial and error. Different brands and types of starch might require different mixing. I do 2-1.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks again.
#NotOneRedCent